Almost antique corner sequences

I was using the unflipped ones. It turns out size (well, zoom) matters. Both yield “Joseki Small Dictionary.”
The translation of the second half of the top line never settles down, perhaps because of the change in font size.

The text in the lower, smaller lines is clearly author information (the first photo refers to 9 meals, but the second to 9 dan). The name of the dan/meal in question… Google won’t decide.

2 Likes

Entered almost 500 joseki’s into …

… and still about 5500 to go.

With a relaxed tempo of 20-40 a day that will take some time.

Actually it is fun and I learn a lot.

Two examples:

• don’t automatically prevent your opponent from capturing one stone which he ataried.
    In the fuseki phase almost every other move is bigger.
  • allow your opponent to claim some territory or influence, but be sure to get compensation for it.

Some of the joseki’s you will never see anymore nowadays, but does that make them inadequate?
Discovered a lot of great invasion moves hard to defend.

Here is a nice one.

2 Likes

The 1983 article Demystifying Joseki (Terry Stacey and Simon Clark) in BGJ #58 shows a number of 5-5 sequences.

They’re accompanied by explanation, but for brevity I’ll only post the diagrams here.

The sequences are taken from this book, Igo Daijiten.

2 Likes

By the way, Igo Daijiten is copyright free.

To quote from the editorial note cited at Igo Daijiten / Background at Sensei's Library (emphasis mine):

This book was not created overnight. The late Suzuki Tamejiro conceived this project 50 years ago, and, whenever the occasion arose, collected patterns diligently. After further research on these patterns he published the book for the first time in 1933.

However, because of the war later, it was all reduced to complete destruction and so, some ten years after the war, having obtained the support of Ogawa Kikumatsu, then Chairman of Seibundo Shinkosha, Suzuki decided to proceed with publication, after more than 32 years, of a revised edition to which he had added fresh text.

On 3 November 1960, when he had completed all three volumes of this new edition, Master Suzuki received the Medal with Purple Ribbon because of his meritorious service in which he had devoted himself to the development of the go world over many years. But on the 19th of the same month, he unexpectedly collapsed while chatting with the group of our editorial team attending the celberation of his award. He died suddenly the following day, the 20th.

Referring now to Copyright law of Japan - Wikipedia

The 1899 law protected copyrighted works for 30 years after the author’s death.

The copyright was initially set to expire in 1990.

Law changes promulgated in 1970 extended the duration to 50 years

The copyright expiration date advanced to 2010.

However, in 2004 Japan further extended the copyright term to 70 years for cinematographic works.

This is a book, not a piece of film.

At the end of 2018 … the 70 year term was applied to all works. This new term was not applied retroactively; works that had entered the public domain between 1999 and 29 December 2018 (inclusive) due to expiration remained in the public domain.

Therefore we can conclude that Igo Daijiten left copyright in 2010, and has been in the public domain ever since.

Would you be happy to scan the book and upload it somewhere, Atorrante, if no-one else has done so already?

(Also worth noting that Modern Joseki and Fuseki was only published eight years later but is receiving, at this point, at least 81 years more copyright.)

1 Like

I should specify that I’m not demanding you scan it or anything.

I’m just making you aware that, if you do want to put up some pages, it seems to be perfectly legal.

1 Like

It would certainly be nice if someone scanned and uploaded the book. It looks really interesting.
However I don’t have a scanner.

More info on Igo Daijiten:

Suzuki Tamejiro 鈴木為次郎 (1883-1960) was a professional Go player.
Suzuki was a pupil of Iwasaki Kenzo and Shuei. Suzuki reached 4-dan in 1912. Suzuki took part in a six-game match against Segoe Kensaku and a jubango with Nozawa Chikucho. He was a member at times of Hiseikai, the Nihon Ki-in, and Kiseisha. He reached 8-dan in 1942.

Suzuki was an author and editor, in particular of the Igo Daijiten (Great Joseki Dictionary), and the Joseki Shojiten (Small Joseki Dictionary) with Kitani (see the dictionaries page). He also wrote a two volume work, Life and Death Research (Shikatsu Kenkyuu), which is available at the Japanese National Diet Library: vol.1, vol.2
Suzuki’s pupils were Sekiyama Riichi, Kitani Minoru, Shimamura Toshihiro, Handa Dogen, Suzuki Goro, and Suzuki Masaharu.
(This text comes from [Sensei’s Library](http://senseis.xmp.net/?SuzukiTamejiro.

1 Like

More than 1100 puzzles …
and 4900 to go.

With a speed of 30 joseki’s a day that would take me about 5,5 months to finish.

2 Likes

Happily announcing that the first 1000 joseki are there.

By the way also pleasantly surprised by the number of visitors during the last few days.
On Wednesday morning there were about 500 visitors (after three months) and now suddenly it jumped to 1500.

Not bad for a collection of joseki’s dating back to about half a century BA (before artificial intelligence).
Thanks.

Well, let’s go on with the next 5000 joseki.
:grin:

Edit: … still 4673 joseki left to do.

2 Likes

Somewhere next week (probably next weekend) the second batch of 1000 joeseki’s will be ready.

Feel free to dive into it and enjoy.

2 Likes

Just a small update: 55 years later, another small joseki dictionary is published with 3 volumes, 946 pages and 3600 diagrams.

2 Likes

Almost halfway the collection.
With a tempo of 20 joseki’s a day (5 months average) that would mean I will be finishing this project in May 2022.
I am also preparing an index so that you can find that special joseki faster.
Every joseki costs about 2 minutes to enter.

3 Likes

Yes. Finished the first book with 3000 diagrams.

5 Likes

From a projected 6 months to 6 days…

Montgomery Scott would be proud.

1 Like

Project concerns two books, finished the first book.
ETA is still May 2022.

3 Likes

Only about approximately 650 joesiki’s to go.
Expect it won’t be a problem to finish this in May this year, might even be earlier.

3 Likes

Wow, I just entered the last joseki of a series 6000. Project finished.
Two months earlier than I estimated.

1-1000

1001-2000

2001-3000

3001-4000

4001-5000

5001-6000

Now just some last alterations and additions to the Manual and after that maybe some incidental maintenance.

Not going to do a project of this magnitude again.
:rofl:

6 Likes

Atorrante, if you have any strength left after this feat would you please share more about your experience in transcribing the diagrams. I wonder how well your understanding of shape and move order improved and how you have noticed this study impacting your gameplay.

Also, is there a good way to view the complete collection? And is there a way to disable the orange “hint”. If I click the “hint” button then the next move just changes from an orange box to a green box. Here is just one of the joseki I was browsing: Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS.

2 Likes

Haha, not much strength left :smiley:

Don’t click ‘hint’, but click the orange box. The next move will appear. By doing so you will be guided through the joseki sequence.
There is for you (as far as I know) no way to disable the hint section.
For me it is possible to disable hint (manually one puzzle after another), but I am not going to that. The purpose was to show a joseki sequence and not having you guess what the next move is. These are not puzzles!

Transcribing puzzle is rather easy.

By transcribing the joseki’s I noticed that there are certain moves that keep coming back. Moves that look(ed) small to me, but that are essential. For example R16 in the joseki you were browsing.

Other things I learned:

• the last move of a joseki is not to be forgotten.
  • don’t grow too attached to your stones, sacrifice for profit.

But to be honest at the moment the impact on my gameplay is negative. My rank dropped a bit. Knowing too much can be handicap. :frowning:

I expect however that in time I will improve. I haven’t been studying the josekis much.

Does this answer your questions?

3 Likes

Yes thank you. I asked because I studied joseki a bit (not much) despite people saying not to. Well, people say that it’s good to understand joseki but not to memorize it.

Anyway, I only reviewed maybe 50 joseki (~150 variations) and I started to notice certain patterns and importance of move order that was not yet natural to me. I wonder if I would be able to pick up on proper form better if I studied joseki again now.

And no need to edit the problems one by one. Thanks for your hard work already!

1 Like