An Idea for a Forum Game: Guessing Your Own Games

I probably remember most of a serious in person game for about one day after completion. For longer retention I’d probably need to strengthen my memory with a serious review.
I probably forget a casual online blitz game in an hour.

4 Likes

I think I am unusually good at remembering my* games. I can generally record (with just mistakes in small yose and ko threats) all my games from a tournament when I get home afterwards from memory, even for 2 week events like EGC with 10 games (just the main tournament, not side fast events). I think it’s not so much time that pushes them out my memory, but new games coming in: my memory capacity for recent serious games is probably about a dozen. And if it’s one I’ve put a lot of repeated intense thought into like an OGS correspondence it sticks around for longer. These 10 year old OGS games I couldn’t replay from memory, but remember the formations particular of opening into middlegame.

* Or those of others in the same tournament that I look at in my wanders: sometimes when reviewing someone else’s game they forget what happened next and I remind them!

6 Likes

Impressive showing from the guesses by @Uberdude, @mark5000, and @gennan

2 Likes

May I have a go?

2 Likes

@bugcat
You are playing in exactly one of these games:
Game A
Game B
Game C

2 Likes

Could I have the year?

Hmm, or would that make it too easy?

I’ll hold off until you decide, but obviously I can provide any sort of hint you’d like if you’re stuck :slight_smile:

No need: I remember playing White in Game C.

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

Oh! I didn’t remember that was my game against Larry.

We indeed played it quite slowly. It was one of my more memorable games.

You call that slow? :smiley: :wink:

3 Likes

(10), (12), and (14) are moves I often play.

I remembered the (20–22) manoeuvre.

I also specifically remembered the strange shape I made with (24-6), and also the (29–30) exchange. (32–4) rang a bell as well.

I recall (40)–(78) mainly as a single idea, but now that I look for longer I start to remember particular moves as well.

(120–32) was another memorable point for me. I spent a very long time there.

I genuinely stared at the lower right for one whole hour

Not a joke! The fact that White has to fill from inside and be captured makes it a difficult semeai.

That was probably the most memorable of any of my correspondence games before the Regulars Handicap tournament, so I guess I got lucky there.

1 Like

Five games, one each from: @KAOSkonfused, @bugcat, @teapoweredrobot, @_KoBa, and @Vsotvep

Solution

Tournament Game: Correspondence Weekly McMahon 19x19 2018-07-07 17:00 (38734) R:1 (Vsotvep vs Melonazox)

Tournament Game: Monthly Simultaneous McMahon 2016-01-16 17:00 (13739) R:5 (💖 KoBa 💖 vs Teldris)

riendly

Ladder Challenge: KAOSkonfused(#646) vs Samurai T(#544)

Tournament Game: Fast Correspondence – April 2019 (C) (47786) R:1 (lilomar vs teapoweredrobot)

5 Likes

This is harder than I thought

Game 1B - 61 is weird, I wouldn’t play 69
Game 1W - maybe? move 66 and 74 feel weird to me though
Game 2B - I don’t think I’ve ever played 45
Game 2W - I’m not sure if I would play move 116 or 182
Game 3 - I do like to play weird openings, but I think I would’ve remembered this one.
Game 4B - I don’t think I’d ever play move 23
Game 4W - I wouldn’t play move 24, or 170 (I hope)
Game 5B - maybe? I’m not a fan of mini-Chinese, but I’ve played it a couple of times
Game 5W - move 150 is really weird, I don’t think I would play that

So, either 1 white or 5 black. I guess 5?

Now I looked at the solutions as well :frowning: Almost had it…

Looks like we played a large part of that game live, that might be why I don’t remember it as well.

3 Likes

Yup, I’m going to have to look at these on a computer. Too difficult going back and forth on my phone.

And I have forum games category muted so this is all a bit of a surprise!

But I think I can rule out a few from the openings. Like 1 and 3.

I’ll get back to you later today hopefully.

3 Likes

First game: Not me, neither Black nor White, is what I already think about the opening.

Second: If that’s mine, then I’m White. But some moves are very unusual for me, so: no.

Third: Haha, no, never played this opening.

Fourth: Uh, what a weird game. But… looks familiar. :sweat_smile: I played Black. I think it was not that long ago, maybe half a year ago, but I don’t remember who my opponent was.

Fifth: I was a bit unsure at first if I could be Black, but then came a sequence that I think I never had in any of my games.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I was White in Game 3.

I don’t actually remember the game but those are all my moves on display: the dual 5-4s, the keima cover in the top right, the R17 cut, and knowing about B5 instead of pushing in.

Also the fact that I took the two cuts in the lower left.

I think that was during my phase of playing 50 consecutive games with the dual 5-4 opening so as to forcibly ingest the joseki. So it should be 2017 or 2018.

3 Likes

Oh, January 2019. I hope I’ve come on a bit from there, hah.

2 Likes

Oh wow, none of those looked familiar XD

I had to take a peek of the solution so cant really guess anymore, but omg i used to play slow and passive moves back then >____>

2 Likes

right so my guess is:

game 1 - I’m not black as I don’t think I have ever opened anywhere other than top right and I don’t really recognise the rest of the game play. I could be white but there are various moves that I doubt are mine but who knows!

Game 2 - it’s possible that I’m white in this one

game 3 - no

game 4 - I could be black here - only move 97 makes me doubt it but it might have been a misclick? I don’t think I’ve ever played the white opening like this.

game 5 - This one seems really familiar. I don’t think I was black based on the opening so I must have been white

so I think I’m white in g5 or otherwise black in g4… gonna check in a mo

Edit - so my memory is not completely shot but really don’t recognise my past go playing self - I guess a good sign of the progress I may have made!

2 Likes