Animated game PNGs of select moves

Changing the extension usually does NOT change the file format—except for cases like, for example, SGF, which is just a text file but is interpreted differently by SGF editors when it has the SGF extension.

And when you change the ext. to GIF, Preview opens it nevertheless, because Preview recognises it as a PNG.

What I’d actually want is a format that can be edited in Photoshop, the de-facto standard for pixel editing whether I like it or not. But I do love Pshop.

2 Likes

Seems like a fair point :slight_smile:

I prefer Piskel for pixel editing.

1 Like

I don’t do much, but the last time I did, I used GIMP.

4 Likes

Yeah sure, and some prefer Paint, but that was not the point :wink:

Could there be an option to add coordinates to make kibitzing about the animated sequence a bit easier?

9 Likes

:white_check_mark: +1000 :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Bonus if the coordinates match what the user has in their settings for coordinate style.

2 Likes

Is there a reason the previews don’t play in apps like discord?

Can I append the link somehow?

Very cool feature!!

Of the 4 links, you need to copy and paste the animated one

Yeah I don’t think it works in discord, but that might be more of a discord problem. I’m not sure linking or uploading gifs works in some cases either when I read about it. Maybe someone knows more

1 Like

Is there a reason why it’s animated PNGs and not animated GIFs?

AFAIK PNG animation is not (yet?) common/compatible (e.g. Photoshop, Discord), while most all systems/browsers/social networks/graphics apps can easily display, resp. edit, animated GIF files.

<edit>
I mean, having animated sequences of moves (and ideally the whole game) is really AWESOME, but IMHO it would be much more useful if ppl could edit them in common image editing apps (like adding comments etc.) as well as share in social networks etc.
</edit>

That’s weird it doesn’t work in discord since it’s just a chrome browser under the hood.

I went with animated png’s because it looked like they were supported well enough and the file size was about 1/4 that of gif for our use cases. Adobe Photoshop has no excuse not to have support from them since they support animated gifs to some degree, animated pngs are not exactly new by any stretch, it’s 14 years old now, and it’s a far superior format :frowning:

6 Likes

I see … file size is def. a good point.

But this:

That’s correct as a criticism towards Adobe, but nevertheless Pshop is the standard for image editing.
Even GIMP needs an extra plugin for opening/editing APNG.

I should try test it in a few more ways, but if anyone knows how to get the animations to play in discord it’d be good to share :smiley:

I’ll probably just switch it to gifs so it works everywhere…

6 Likes

Don’t start conforming now :rofl:

5 Likes

How about making it an option, with defaulting to PNG? :grin:
That way most ppl would probably choose PNG (smaller, etc.), and those who really need GIF can do that also …

I don’t know, however, which format would take more work creating.

2 Likes

Yeah, now that I’ve learned all these legitimate reasons for preferring png, I don’t want to lose that.

2 Likes

Hmmmm :thinking::thinking::thinking::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes