Are you worried about coronavirus?

Here is an interesting article about why the reported mortality rate from Germany has been comparatively low (so far): https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts
There are several factors that might also play a role in some other countries.

Also, here’s a nice science podcast: https://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2020/mar/24/covid-19-how-long-can-it-survive-outside-the-body

2 Likes

I don’t have a collection of LP’s, actually not even a single one. And currently i’m almost out of wine, i only have bit of spanish red wine left.

Otherwise that was actually pretty much on point ^_____^

7 Likes

Where has it sailed to? You’ll have a lot of free time, why not use it? If you sink into that state of mind (without any alcohol to help you) you’re not likely to remain sane during the quarantine. I understand your feelings, I’m pretty much in the same situation (like so many others after all), but I think it’s important to keep your brain active. Not doing anything for so long is just going to make you more miserable, so don’t give up. Play Go, study Latin, call people you like to hear from, read a book, a comic, write something, whatever you like. Sleeping too much is just going to make you numb, and being numb for a long time is unnerving.

It’s tough, but it’s like that for so many people now. Just try to get the most out of it.

10 Likes

I’m only speaking for myself, but it seems some people cope better than others. I’ve seen the “outgoing” people struggle with the shutdown, needing to “do stuff” and occupy their mind. I’m naturally an “indoors” person and not find it quite as difficult. Even loved ones seem to not understand that keeping my mind busy is not what I need, because it’s much less of a burden for me. Having a pause to think or do nothing can be very calming to some people, but I get they are telling me otherwise with good intentions and because they care.

9 Likes

I agree, we’re all different after all, someone might even be having the best time of his life, but bugcat’s post seemed to me about giving up the things you like out of discouragement. Which is not the same as taking a pause, I know that because I have a strong tendency to give up myself and waste my time, often sleeping or fiddling about. But the result is always negative, and I always regret it. So I was talking to bugcat just as much as I was talking to myself, I guess.

5 Likes

Worries, Scared, acknowledge danger, and being careful are different things sometimes get mixed up.

I am not scared or worried, but I do acknowledge the danger, so I am careful.

It is ok to raise your shoulders and call it a flu, as long as you are being careful because your neighbour with weaker body might die from it.

2 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/fnqxdq/oc_animation_showing_trajectories_of_selected/

No, I do not think it is okay to simply “raise your shoulders call it a flu”. People have been far less careful than they need to be precisely because of such underestimation of this pandemic.

5 Likes

Part of acknowledging the danger is not calling it a flu. Especially since this has the effect that other people will stop acknowledging the danger when you tell them it’s “just a flu”.

Also, it’s not a flu.

6 Likes

What is it?

Its an unrelated virus. Influenza is a specific family of viruses and Covid-19 is pretty unrelated. The group is actually called Coronaviruses, and this family was previous responsible for the Sars outbreak. The problem is we as humans have basically 0 buillt in immunity to this virus, unlike the Flu.

12 Likes

Another difference is that we know a lot about influenzaviruses, but barely anything about coronaviruses (like how deadly it is, how contagious it is, how it is transmitted, if it’s seasonal or not, etc.), we’re only just learning those things. That’s one reason why developing a flu shot for each flu season is routine work by now, but with some bad luck it might take years before we have vaccines against coronaviruses.

8 Likes
3 Likes

A recent study

1 Like

I have a strong tendency to give up … and waste my time, often sleeping or fiddling about. But the result is always negative

if that hit any closer to home I’d be in a crater :expressionless:

5 Likes

On a side note, for a few years now I’ve found it really interesting how animals acts as reservoirs for disease.

For instance, did you know the last big outbreak of swine flu (which infected much more people than coronavirus) was first transmitted from pigs to humans, then from humans back to pigs, then out from the pigs again?

My interest in this was sparked because several years before the ebola epidemic I was watching a nature program, and the host was entering a cave in Africa. I think he wanted to film giant millipedes. Anyway, he said something along the lines of:

“We have to be careful in here, because these bats have a nasty disease called ebola.”

Similarly, HIV probably entered humans through bushmeat markets, just like coronavirus.

The fact that diseases can be stored in animal populations and periodically emerge as new strains into human populations is also the answer to the question “why were the Native Americans decimated by smallpox but the Europeans were unaffected by foreign diseases?” They were keeping less livestock. Similarly, in the modern day China is to us what Europe was to America: a large population living in close proximity to livestock, and handling meat in unsanitary ways. Except that they have the whole bushmeat and wet market problem thrown in.

7 Likes

Meanwhile…

The Black Plague is still doing its old-school thing, just like it was 1,500 years ago when it finished off the Roman Empire.

4 Likes

Meanwhile in Russia official count is still under 500. Either everything goes so well or so terrible.

3 Likes

Darwin in action right there…

1 Like

Malaria is the only disease that can be treated with an alcohol beverage :3

Apart from boredom.

2 Likes

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Myth busters

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

3 Likes