Are you worried about coronavirus?

Definitively the most informative video on the subject.
Excellent post @Gia.

2 Likes

Note: these are estimates about just the USA deaths/cases

1 Like

More and more politicians and subject matter experts are starting saying the true in a transparent way to their citizens.

• the true = what they really think now.
1 Like

News articles are nice but how are you feeling, fellow go players? What’s going on around you?

From today Sobyanin imposes self-isolation for everyone instead of only for elderly. Soon we will only be able to go outside with a pass of some sort. And this is not nice. I’ll probably be forced to buy food in the closest store which isn’t that good. I’d much rather go to a faraway store where I can really stock up on food.

And you know whose fault this is? Idiots. All those idiots who instead of resting home like rational human beings went ahead to parks and picnics because they don’t have to go to work anymore. Of course, the government noticed it and now they have to impose stricter measures. I’m pretty sure that if it wasn’t for idiots, this wouldn’t be imposed so soon, at least.

Buuut. The government was also kind of soft here. They didn’t declare quarantine or emergency situation which are legal terms and sound serious. They ordered non-working week which is not a legal term. So people aren’t legally bound to stay home, corporations aren’t legally bound to let workers home and the whole thing is weird. Even now they don’t declare anything like that. They want us to live like it’s a quarantine without declaring one, is this it? Here it’s absolutely possible that I’m wrong because I’m not an expert in anything. But this is the kind of feeling it gives after reading about it.

Well, today is the first day of these measures. Hopefully police doesn’t drag people from the streets like animals yet. So I’ll go to get some money from ATM, buy masks and head on to my favorite store to buy all the food.

10 Likes

It’s really fascinating hearing what it feels like from inside Russia.

The only thing I read from Russia up till very very recently was “We don’t have a problem here, look we even have all these hospitals ready and they are empty”. I can’t remember where I read that - I think it was even this thread, though it is so long it is hard to go back and find it.

2 Likes

Alexander, this is my fourth week in quarantene as per other tens million of Italians. What I can say is that I often feel to live something surreal. Also we must prepare a written permission to go from home to supermarket or to a pharmacy. I have several video calls per day with friends often making meetings with 6 or even 10 people at the same time (zoom.us is fantastic for that). I’m lucky to work in a company that is considered essential for the minimum viable engine of the country so I can still work in smart working. To kill the time in the weekend I started to do something I never done before: home-made bread.

To prepare bread by myself is something that makes me feel better. You know, like… yes, I can do that! I can survive :sweat_smile:
Taking apart these amenities, it is a great time to think to ourselves and our way of life. I know, it seems exaggerated, but you cannot really understand it until you live it in the first person.

Regarding the trick to declare one-week vacancy in Russia, I’m working with Russian colleagues in Voronezh to assure a global service contract. Now, since this is a forced vacancy and is not regulated by shifts between alternate teams, we are going to face hard time with the customer because we cannot assure anymore the service… it is a mess.

15 Likes

News articles are nice but how are you feeling, fellow go players? What’s going on around you?

Well, it would appear that in most countries totally similar things happened or will happen. People that suddenly had free time went to the parks/beaches/cafes and made a show of grouping up, which was the exact reason why they were told not to go to work, so governments eventually had to impose more strict measures.

What I find amazing is that it is the same people that mostly complain about “staying at home” … dude, if that was a normal March you would have been spending 8-12 hours at work and then you would be busy trying to get home and crash at your coutch/tv/pc, but suddenly everyone became an “outdoorsman” that simply cannot stay at home even for a day and has to enjoy the outside everyday (and what a great place to be outside in the cement sea of Athens :stuck_out_tongue: ). Take the beaches for example. Almost noone goes to the beach in March, in a normal year.
Suddenly they were packed and when people were told to go home they complained as if going to the beach in March was their lifelong habit :roll_eyes:

And then you have Easter coming and what-not and people leaving Athens and going to their villages or summer houses to “weather the virus” … yeah, where there are no hospitals!
What is wrong with these people ? Sure, I get the appeal of opening your window in the morning and looking at the trees instead of building blocks, but this is not summer vacations.
They found someone with coronavirus today in a nearby village of 800 people. ALL the locals were healthy until that time, but this dude came from Athens and not only he was ill, but he had a pacer in his heart, so they shipped him back in Athens where he could be treated. Why would you go to a place with no hospital when you have such pre-existing conditions? Also, now everyone in that village is worried whether someone contracted the virus or not. What did that bloke achieve other than worrying people and taxing the medical system?

So, as to the question of how I am feeling the only answer is that I will soon need to buy a helmet to protect my forehead from the facepalms. Forget the gloves and masks, get the crash helmets on :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to say that “it is very important to know where you live” (meaning what kind of society we live in) but this virus is not only flooding the hospitals, but also our minds, regardless of our preparations. Imagine living in a country where the spokesperson of Olympiakos hooligans (who is notorious for being a total blockhead) got on TV and actually berated “all those morons that are leaving Athens and going to their villages, as if they are on vacations” (as he very aptly put it). Imagine being berated about social responsibility from the ultras and the hooligans that habitually bring havoc every Sunday. :thinking:

What a time to be alive…

I’d much rather go to a faraway store where I can really stock up on food.

We have the same systems with signing papers to get out of your house, but they are not really specific that you have to go to the nearest stores to shop, so I guess you will still be able to choose the stores that have the things you need.

4 Likes

Special mention to all those people who hop on their cars and take daily trips because they treat this as a vacation and spend money on these trips and in two months they’ll be blaming the government for their financial situation.

Now is not the time to pamper-spend.

3 Likes

It’s a new world order. Instead of holidays everyone will have quarantine.
After 1-3 months after end of each quarantine, epidemic will return.
Or alternatively, everyone always will wear masks and work on internet.

6 Likes
5 Likes

11 Likes

Thank god they say 2020 exactly and not “in the 20s” or worse “21st century”!

1 Like

While, of course, it is certainly a welcome sight and much needed support, it is also quite surreal and disturbing to see a US Navy hospital ship deployed at New York City.

Its sister-ship has also arrived in Los Angeles.

5 Likes

Things have stayed the same for me since I last posted. Still enjoying a very British feeling of tension and smouldering resentment towards the other members of the house. On a gentle mood see-saw between a new-found frustration at the Department for Work & Pensions not answering my calls, and a rather soothing long-term despair and lethargy. Apparently the shutdown could last for six months, after which my mother urges me to get a non-paying job picking fruit “in the national interest”. I’m sure the farmer won’t be in a non-paying job.

Dominos are still delivering pizza, but now they stand out in the street and watch you take the food like it’s lion-feeding time. I ran out of tonic water. My lychee Fanta turned out to have 38g sugar / 100g so I had to stop drinking it. Forums are dead… I played a bit of blitz Go and got beaten by 9kyus, maybe I wasn’t drinking enough water, idk. Been eating a lot of White Rabbit candy, it’s a rather strange milk-flavoured chewy sweet with some sort of edible plastic on the outside. I wish humans could hibernate and peacefully sleep through several months, letting time pass happily by unheeded… well, I’d probably overuse it.

4 Likes

Oh, now I found that there is pig protein in the White Rabbit candy. Great, I guess that is off the menu as well. They apparently make it in China, so I have no idea why that ingredient is there.

Ah, I guess is how they are making the gelatine… still, feels dodgy. No-one makes gelatine from pigs these days. (I’m not religious or anything, just very suspicious about Chinese food hygiene for obvious reasons.)

1 Like

Why do say that? I feel like these forums have been busier than ever in recent times.

It’s just rice paper.

I imagine that it is purely because it is cheaper and/or easier to use animal-derived gelatin instead of alternatives.

1 Like

If we’re already using their meat, then why throw away other parts we can use?

6 Likes

Maybe it is, since collagen can be obtained as a by-product from the slaughter and processing of animals already destined to be used as food.

I’m tired. It’s hard to get my little son to sleep in the evening, and it’s often hard to entertain him in general - kindergartens are closed, playgrounds are closed, libraries are closed, everything is closed… When I have time to work, I can’t work, because I’m tired, because I want to read at least some news, and because I’m still digesting the not-so-good diagnosis my son finally got last week (it took a year to find out what he has; it’s a very rare genetic disease). He’s totally fine at the moment, but I’m worried anyway. So I don’t have much “worry-energy” left for the whole covid-19 situation.

Everything is closed. You can go outside, but need a good reason (all of the German countries have different, quite complicated rules for that). Berlin is working on a catalogue of fines for violations of the restrictions. :sweat: :roll_eyes:
I know that most of these restrictions are necessary, but I also don’t want to live in a police state. Most people here really get the problem and practice social distancing, so I don’t think that it’s helpful to incite fear of police checks.

9 Likes
5 Likes