Beginner Kyu 25

Hello, im really new in the game and searching for someone who can tell me some openings or strategy to get better in the game.
Atm im playing on a 9*9 board,

It sounds like you’re doing everything right for where you’re at in the game. A smaller board will help you focus on shapes and making life, which are the first building blocks of strength in the game of go.

Sadly, the only real way to get better is to play and play and play. “Lose your first 100 games as fast as you can.”

with regard to openings, I admit, I haven’t played 9x9 since i was in high school. I accidentally signed up for a 9x9 tourney here recently, and I’m losing it spectacularly, so I’m probably not one to give solid advice about that particular board type, but generally you can just begin the game aggressively.

Yeah, I’m pretty bad at 9x9 as well, though xhu98 is doing a series about the 9x9 board, so hopefully I can pick up a few things. :smile:

The adage “Lose your first 50 (or 100, depending on whom you ask) games as fast as possible” is definitely a good one. That will get you to around 20k, I think, though I’d welcome correction on that point from someone who knows better.

Don’t be scared of larger boards; I think that 13x13 is very nice in that it has a much more 19x19 feel to it than 9x9 does, but still allows you to see the results of your moves much more quickly than on 19x19. Still, as with many things in life, it’s a balance between being comfortable and trying new things. You know yourself better than I, so you’ll be the best judge on what board sizes you want to play on.

And finally, we play go because it’s enjoyable. Keep that in mind. As with the above, you know what you find enjoyable about go.

i want to learn the real go with 1919 but i think it´s so large for the beginning so i play 99 instead atm.

1 Like

9x9 will serve you fine for now. the full size board just confuses new players, I find. Start with 9x9 to get the hang of shape and life-and-death, then when you’re ready move up to 13 x 13 to get the hang of openings and playing for territory, then take what you learned from both and you’ll be more than ready for the full size board.

You have 31 games of history on OGS, so you are probably ready to read this: http://senseis.xmp.net/?BasicInstinct

It is a page with some basic shape moves - basically a shortcut to the trial&error method of learning the same thing.

While you focus your efforts on following these basic instincts in your next games, you might want to check out OGS’ puzzle section: https://online-go.com/puzzles

There you can find problems suitable for your level. Solve them and you will gain understanding of the very important concepts of life and death. You will also learn to read out sequences by visualizing them in your head.

As a general strategic guideline, always try to keep all your own stones connected and separate the opponent’s groups. This is important because each separate group on the board brings its own troubles when you have to bring it to safety.

Switch to 19x19 as soon as possible!

Good luck and have fun! :smile:

1 Like

Good resources, but I’d add http://tsumego.tasuki.org/ to the list as an alternative to the OGS puzzles. This is probably just personal preference, but I prefer to print out the puzzles from the one star collection there and work on them in my spare time. Easy to stuff the dozen or so pages that contain the first 150 tsumego in my backpack if I arrive early to class, for example.

“Lose your first 100 games to get you to 20k” is maybe a bit pessimistic!

I have only ever played on OGS, and losing 75 games has got me to 8k so far. I am no kind of genius at this game, I suspect I’m probably somewhere in the normal range (though I have no real idea - but I’m a 40-year old guy who has a full time job and a demanding life, I am very sure a younger smarter person with more free time could do much better).

The key, I think, is who your losses are against, and what you take from them :smile:

Stick with 9x9 for as long as you like it - everyone is right when they say it’s a totally different game, but the lessons it teaches are still important.

(BTW I suck at 9x9 - I really, really suck at it. I must play more. And I’m looking forward to xhu’s series too!)

Getting to 8k OGS after playing only 75 games and not studying seems like an unusually good result, but maybe I’m just a slow learner, lol.

Also, I interpret the adage as meaning: play games until you’re not just putting stones out on the board randomly and can actually benefit from other resources instead of just being confused by them. It also implies to me that playing 50 (or 100) games is about the right amount to reach this level of understanding.

I have played more than that - just only lost 75 of them so far, so I’m trying to lose more (actually doing quite well at the “losing more” thing lately :stuck_out_tongue:)

And I’ve read a handful of beginner books, which have helped a lot :slight_smile:

I think the “losing” part is a joke. I think the number is meant to estimate the number of games you should play, and the joke is that it’s assumed you will lose all of them. At least, that’s how I always read it.

I think you’re right - though I would also note that losing is way more informative than winning!

2 Likes

The “losing” part probably made more sense in pre-Internet era. Today one can learn basics from a book, train a bit against AI, then go online and find a plenty of other beginners to beat. While I have no experience learning to play go in medieval Asia, my guess is that in a more traditional environment you’d be instructed by someone insanely strong (comparing to you, that is) and then put against your seniors, and so your chances of losing all your games would be considerably higher. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Samraku makes a point. Proverbs are only guidelines; you should always look at the meaning behind them. Why would someone tell you to lose your first 100 games? Obviously it makes no sense on it’s own. The purpose of the proverb is to get people to play without worrying about their first few stumbles in the beginning. By simply playing, you’ll fix things like seeing atari’s and common patterns naturally.

3 Likes

Someone gave me this Site http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ to learn GO and atm i have fun to play on it because it describes a lot.

3 Likes

That’s a great place to start. :slight_smile:

You can add me, a fellow beginner ( i’ve been playing a bit more though, three weeks almost ) .

Hi Samraku san can u teach me go

I would recommend playing games right now. This thread has many other good suggestions as well.