Beta testing requested for a new place for kids to play Go on

The hard bot also does stalling moves at the end. But maybe it’s not a bad thing to continue playing at least a bit. Beginners may be tricked by lack of liberties at the end of the game. Anyway the hard bot is not that strong, so if a player finds that behavior annoying, maybe it’s time to play humans.

6 Likes

I lost sound on my desktop too. Interestingly I got the rocket blast but no stone sounds.

Firefox/MacOS

Plenty of complaints in the console:

6 Likes

its not clear when opponent passes. What that sad flying smile supposed to illustrate?
It looks like if stone was captured, not like pass.

5 Likes

My sound is working now.

2 Likes

It’s probably a pass stone. Pass stone at Sensei's Library
But maybe it would be more clear if a message showed “your opponent passed”.

6 Likes

In AGA rules you pass a stone to your opponent when you pass, so that’s what that indicates

8 Likes

In AGA scoring, you give your opponent a stone when you pass (although I agree it caught me by surprise too)

2 Likes

I played thousands of games, just none AGA rules and it confuses me. It will confuse beginners much more. Why end of game supposed to look sad?

3 Likes

It’s the way folks in the states play Go in person, so we want to prepare them for that experience.

9 Likes

EXPECTATION:

REALITY:

9 Likes

I (3d) may have been your opponent in recent games :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

It’s very nice. I’m try it out properly in they morning but after one game I have a few observations:

The game doesn’t wait for the animations. When I captured a white stone it disappears and then reappears before the animation runs. Whereas when the opponent captures one of my pink stones it animated smoothly without the “blink”.
That’s especially odd when the opponent plays a move fast so that the new move and vibration is simultaneous with the captured stone flashing it feels like the opponent played just where they were captured.

Similarly the score pane appeared over the passing stone animation so it seemed like you missed something going on under there

I think the whole thing should wait for the animations to run before continuing.

I thought the new move indicator was not really obvious. Takes a bit of effort to see the new stone of you didn’t notice it appear. Would it be possible to have the new stone wobble or something to catch your eye?

The list of games to choose is a bit confusing. Medium+4 sounds like it should be harder than medium. But I’m not sure what better hierarchy there would be. Maybe
Easy + extra help
Easy+help
Easy
Medium+extra help

5 Likes

Also in the UK so this is great from my pov!

5 Likes

without any rank filter choose of opponents may become very annoying
some are 25k and some are pro : )

7 Likes
  1. I took a look at the learn-to-play-section and I didn’t think it was obvious I had to click next in the lower right at the beginning.

2. Wrong result? Game 12895
Edit: I read “White wins…” instead of “Wins…” for whatever reason (probably wishful thinking)

4 Likes

A few more things:

What age is this aimed at? It feels like 4yo graphic style (which is great!) but the tutorial his you with some pretty big words on the first page!

The double scrolling menu on the opponent selection is a bit weird. You can’t get to “hard” at first and then when you do manage to scroll there to the kids to play list, the kids list stays there and the easy/hard list scrolls is a reduced space. Not a big problem but very odd.

When the score pane is showing, you can’t tap on the back button at the top. It should either be more obvious that you can’t use it or tapping outside of the score pane should dismiss it.

I find it odd that the white avatar by default plays with pink stones and the white stone opponent is orange. In the score pane is confusing whose score is whose as the stone colour is tiny and the avatar colours are almost the opposite of the stones.

6 Likes

In the lobby you see the name and avatar of the players, but not during the game, making it harder to remember specific opponents. Perhaps the name can be shown somehow during the game as well?

5 Likes

Minor UI point - I didn’t know what to click to really resign:

Apparently the resign icon doesn’t do it :worried:

6 Likes

In style with the animations and such, perhaps it can be made a bit more obvious if you won or lost, perhaps with some animation and maybe with some happy or sad sound/tune? As it is now, I have to look closely what the result is.

6 Likes

What happened in that game Kids Go Server! ?
ScreenShot_25_08_2022_23_28_54

I see

• 26 living pink stones
  • (1 transparent pink stone, probably it has moved to the bowl of prisoners)
  • 5 pink stones in the bowl of prisoners
  • 23 living white stones
  • 2 white stones in the bowl of prisoners.
    This doesn’t seem right, it looks as if pink has used 31 stones and white only 25 stones.
5 Likes