Beta testing requested for a new place for kids to play Go on

Hi All,

In a joint effort between the AGF, BGA, and OGS we’ve created https://beta.kidsgoserver.com/ which is a site dedicated to introducing the game to young kids. We’re planning on “releasing” it soon, which means putting it up on the production domain and announcing it as being ready to a larger audience, however before we do that we’d love to get some feedback from anyone interested in willing to check it out a bit.

The focus at this stage is to provide a fun friendly safe place for kids to play. Future directions will likely add some support for teachers managing classes of students and the like, but for now it’s limited to “Go here and play”.

Anyways, we’d be very interested in your feedback, bug reports, and anything else you’d like to share about the project. Thanks!

24 Likes

After a quick look I think it may become my next favorite server!

runs

11 Likes

I played the strongest bot.
The game got miscored and it stalled.

4 Likes

I played a bit on that server. Looks very nice. Maybe

• Add “thanks for the game” in the chat
  • No clock? What if one of the players unexpectedly leaves the game and the other one waits forever?
  • At one point I didn’t pay attention and didn’t realize it was my turn to play. My opponent said in the chat “your turn” but what if they didn’t? (On the regular OGS server I don’t forget it’s my turn since I see my clock running.)
7 Likes

It was a conscious decision to not have a clock to keep things simple for the children. The “your turn” is actually automatic so there’s that :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I happened a couple of times not to see the bot’s move, which appeared as soon as I refreshed.

5 Likes

First game I tried, against “Medium” computer, as “Black.” Computer didn’t respond after my opening move. Waited a few minutes, nothing. Game #12830.

Edit: after seeing @_Sofiam 's comment, I tried reloading. There was a move.

6 Likes

I haven’t played on there but what about something that asks “are you still here” after some amount of time of inactivity.

Edit: just played a game and thought it was very cute :slight_smile:

4 Likes

that sudden explosion sound of flying rocket causes fear even after 2nd try

12 Likes

Is there no sound when a stone is played?

Is it possible to select other languages than English?

6 Likes

Perhaps it might be useful to add a game history, in case the kid wants to analyze them later with an adult?

6 Likes

Stone sounds should be there for you, what browser/os are you using?

In the future, not right now though

4 Likes

Maybe the score count should be hidden (it can be confusing) if the game ends by resignation?

11 Likes

the last move indicator is very bold, so it should have neutral color, not color of your opponent.
Its looks like its your stone while its actually stone of your opponent, very not intuitive

6 Likes

Browser: Chrome, version 104.0.5112.81

3 Likes

The first bot move didn’t show up for me until I refreshed, after that the slaughter game continued normally.

2 Likes

Wow this is so fun! I love the faces especially when there’s an atari.

8 Likes

The facial expressions on the stones are a nice touch and helpful too, I think.

I worked through the tutorial until the end of lesson 3 now. I like it very much!

One very minor thing: the tutorial texts have some fade-in effect. That’s nice but the fade-in is a bit slow for my taste.

5 Likes

I killed all groups of easy bot, I pass, but bot keeps doing time stalling moves again and again, I can’t end this game

5 Likes

I think you’ll have to continue a bit more. Eventually it will pass. I don’t think kids will mind about the bot stalling. The kids be able to capture more stones (which they love)!

11 Likes