Beta testing requested for a new place for kids to play Go on

In the tutorial, I can’t get past lesson 5

Are those lessons yet to be made, or do I need to reach some achievement first?

3 Likes

I count 24 living white stones.

But somehow the prisoners seem to be mixed up in the score tally:

The prisoners bowl of purple shows 2 captured stones and the prisoners bowl of white shows 5 captured stones. But the score tallly shows it differently: -2 for purple and -5 for white. Either those numbers should be positive, or the negative numbers should switch sides. Either way, the result would be W+5.5.

2 Likes

I (white) have passed three times (or maybe four) and I think those passing stones are in the wrong bowl (and with the wrong color).

3 Likes

Final thought for tonight. I’m afraid I may be being a bit woke but why are the colours pink and white? Black had just been expunged for some reason. I think if you are getting rid of black then you should also get rid of white. Why not make them orange and teal? Or just stick with black and white, which would also have the advantage of not having to explain why the stones are not black and white in the tutorial!

6 Likes

Because AGA rules (essentially area scoring) being used, would it be a lesson idea to urge filling neutral points before passing then? Or should they figure that out by themselves?

3 Likes

Yep only to to 5 is done right now

3 Likes

We went with pink and light blue because the black stones had a very strong blackface vibe going on and we couldn’t make that go away. Orange and teal would have been good choices too imho.

7 Likes

Perhaps some ideas for the tutorial, while explaining the mechanics of capturing stones: suicide is illegal (ignoring New Zealand rules), but capturing “without liberties” is legal (gaining liberties by removing the captured opponent stones without liberties first), after which the ko rule might make more sense

3 Likes

I lost one game, maybe 2 hours ago. Was it you, @_Sofiam? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yes!

You won the later ones though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I loved playing it. The graphics are great!

• I think the “learn” and “play” buttons should be pulsing on the landing page.

It took me a little while to locate those, my eyes were drawn to all the busy symbols around the title.

• I agree that the passing-stone should not look sad. Surprised maybe? Passing is not “bad”, it shouldn’t make my stones sad.

Actually, sleepy might be best, in line with “doing nothing” - the doing nothing stone falls asleep. Even surprise is not right, since it is not suprising to pass when the game is over.

• I think that the end-of-game dialog is too busy and mathematical for kids. It also gets in the way of the most important thing: the visualisation of who won and why

• Shouldn’t all my stones be cheering, and my territory full of celebratory thingies?
  • I think that the stones in the container should move when I pick one out. Otherwise what’s the point of that graphic?

• It seems like the “pass” and “resign” buttons are waiting for the Graphics designer?

9 Likes

Kids Go Server

14 Likes

What’s that second thing? Some relic from the past I vaguely recall? :wink:

4 Likes

About the tutorial: maybe

• in lesson 1, add interactive exercises like “put the white group in atari”, “the black group is in atari, can you save it?”.
  • in lesson 1 again, add a couple of problems where you capture a group by putting a stone in an intersection which is completely surrounded
    ScreenShot_26_08_2022_08_56_37
  • in lesson 3, add elementary problems like “make two eyes” or “place a stone to prevent White from making two eyes”.
3 Likes

Maybe the scoring at the end can be a bit friendlier/generous on counting area also

Kids Go Server!

6 Likes

One other slight comment is that the scroll bar for choosing opponents on mobile (safari) is a bit iffy.

Originally I didn’t realise there were opponents beyond medium.

As in sometimes the list won’t scroll at all with tap/scroll and sometimes after it has scrolled it’s really hard to scroll back up the list.

3 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately our graphics designer that was doing most of this moved on about half way through the project so we are kinda where we are right now. I think we’re going to have a “phase 2” where we expand on some teacher functionality and incorporate some of the more graphically intensive improvements and suggestions, for that we’ll need to find another graphic designer, but for now I think we have what we have.

4 Likes

the green check mark doesnt feel suitable for this message

5 Likes

Is “easy + 4” supposed to be easier or harder than “easy”? It’s hard to tell from the name.

EDIT: okay, it was obvious after I tried.

5 Likes

when something is obvious only after trying, it means something is not obvious

+4 what? really not clear explanation in my opinion

5 Likes