Black or Blanc

In french B = Blanc [= White] instead of Black= B

and N = Noir.

That’s the same problem in Italian and Spanish.

So the translation is not complete, wrong and confusing.

5 Likes

There ya go :slightly_smiling_face:

https://translate.online-go.com/

3 Likes

Is this something accessible for translation? Or is it “hardcoded” ?

If it is hardcoded it’ll be on the front end and can be fixed there by wrapping it with _(" ") unless despite the different languages B+ and W+ are some international standards.

2 Likes

Really? Are they? So confusing that B is black, not white for a large population of the world.

KGS does translate B and W into N and B.

3 Likes

You missed the keyword

This makes it not a statement of fact but an acknowledged conditional. It is possible they are some international standard irregardless of local language, but if they’re not then changing that section in the front end code and adding a translation are both simple matters (though each can take a few days to process depending on anoek’s availability and agreement)

2 Likes

Why would he disagree tho?

I checked, ours is Λ (λευκό) for White and Μ (μαύρο) for black. Whoever was the contributor, I like that they went for λευκό and not άσπρο, kudos unknown compatriot. :+1:t2:

Btw, what does lichess do for other languages? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

cool so it’s confirmed that it’s already a translation for some languages. That means you just need to go into the translation portal and add the missing ones that you know.

If it wasn’t already a translation point, he may disagree on whether it’s an international standard or a local translation. He should have no reason to disagree on the translation itself.

3 Likes

Ok
Well i tried to find that B and W i’m really not a computer guy, sorry.
Maybe because i am on a phone.
When i download the file, i get a .po… Format unknown.

1 Like

The bar already indicates which colour is in the lead.

bar

… so I’m thinking the character ‘B’ / ‘W’ could be removed alltogether.

At different places of the interface, how about displaying a stone of this colour instead? Something like …

white + 6.5

black + 0.5

3 Likes

I think text over image is good accessibility practice, but I’m not sure.

6 Likes

Interesting idea removing any kind of confusion

1 Like

I think if they used the emoji / unicode for black circle and white circle it should still work for screen readers, right?

3 Likes

Maybe an otherwise hidden text can be defined for screen readers.

3 Likes

Still has to be careful with the background (day and night)

It’s true but we still need an Indicator that the game is finished.
Seems delicate to supress that anyway, players like a confirm of who win by what margin (or timeout,resignation.)

Okay, I pottled myself.
TBH Pottle is not really user friendly.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m inclined to agree… Are you aware of any better alternatives? anoek may be willing to hear proposals…

1 Like

No, not aware of better alternatives, but I can do a bit of googling and maybe I will find something better.
Keyword is maybe. :smiley:

Edit:

2 Likes

Note that B and W are correctly translated in the list of games

Screen-12-28-2021_124504_PM

It’s only in the AI evaluation that B and W are not translated, but I can’t find out where to add the translation.

3 Likes