Black or Blanc

For the benefit of our non-native English speakers, “irregardless” is a substandard usage that began life more than a century ago as a satirical joke by some Ivy League students. It got such a drubbing in the press about 30 or 40 years ago, that I have rarely seen it since. The standard word is “regardless.”

7 Likes

Good checking which i confirm (and which creates even more confusion!)

I think it would be well considering to change it for italian and Spanish if needed too (maybe more languages?)

I think that’s probably the case

4 Likes

Think you’re lost :wink:

1 Like

Some more language nerdery…

TFW you realize “Black” and “Blanc/Bianca/Blanco/Bleach/Blanche etc…” come from the same linguistic root :yum:

Edit: so basically B+5.5 is “working as intended”… right?

Edit 2: Edit 1 is a joke! Someone should submit a translation patch!

4 Likes

No.
Not in a french translation where it should be N +5.5 (when assessment made by the AI)

See this screenshot

Edit: ok i see, an ethymologic joke

1 Like

@Groin, I felt bad for the unclear joke. Submitted a PR to make up for it :slight_smile:

Once that’s merged, you should be able to add the proper translations at translate.online-go.com!

4 Likes

All fine :blush:.

3 Likes

I’m glad you did it because I still don’t really understand the pgettext and interpolate that you used :). I’m still not really sure how the underscore works too in typescript :stuck_out_tongue: I guess you can name variables with an underscore, but otherwise not sure.

I’ll have to google it.

2 Likes

The underscore is indeed just a function created in translate.ts, nothing special - it’s a traditional translation function name for readability I suppose. pgettext includes a leading string that’s used for context for translators, but isn’t displayed to users. interpolate is just a string formatter, specifically replace the {{blah}} with the blah parameter.

And on topic, FTR the strings are up ready to be translated :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve submitted the French translation “B+” → “N+” and “W+” → “B+”.

10 Likes

I am so happy that this issue is going to be solved quickly. Thanks to all of you.

4 Likes