Chat page revamp, per-group game lists, and game list filtering

Have a lot of the ongoing games been ended or disappeared from the lists?

the games I made the other day, one on a site ladder, and two from a Betazoids tournament I joined to start have disappeared even though they’re ‘ongoing’ (I don’t expect them get played out).

I guess it’s like last time, when only new games made show up since the updates?

2 Likes

Yep

1 Like

Hmmm. Hard to think of any serious improvements.

Maybe the list button could toggle between image and image to indicate that it shows a list or preview.

Although it would repeat goban icon on topic header thing:

Another thing I’ve been thinking is maybe force rows in table view to be always on one line? I think it might look nicer but then we need to figure out how to indicate vacation and pause…

2 Likes

Maybe anoek could use these to swap between list and board view, and he could change the show/hide section icon to be up and down carots

2 Likes

I’ve checked the beta site on iPhone 6 with safari.

The draggable window is nice, and I can scroll up and down within it for the games provided it’s in board display mode.

If it’s in list mode I can’t scroll, so at the moment there’s no point in displaying more than 6 games at a time in list mode (biggest I can allow for by dragging the box). I think it’s something to do with partly selecting the listed game with a tap, because I can scroll when filters are up, as long as I’m not touching the listed games.

Edit:
Actually I can fit 4 in the window when I select to view less than 7, but 6 games for higher than that.

I can’t scroll down the list I mean, I can scroll left and right for more information. (Actually technically I can scroll down if I select the white space beside the filters without showing the filter options, but once I scroll down I can’t scroll back up if I let go of the tap)

2 Likes

Not a bug, but in the Games view, now with the toggle active between board and list, suppose you toggle from board to list and make the number of viewable games bigger than you current setting for viewable boards. When you try to toggle back to boards view it’s not going to work.

It confused me and I know what’s happening, but I imagine when it goes to the main site, I’d you’re used to the functionality of it auto deciding of when to use board and list view it might be confusing that it stops working.

2 Likes

Another one. If I filter out bot games as any normal person would then the games are no longer sorted by strength. You get 25k games on the first page.

5 Likes

I hadn’t checked the revamp, thought it was only in beta, so I just saw everything.

Color me impressed (basically it’s an awesome upgrade :+1: ).

3 Likes

How about “only members of the group” filter for the games, so that you see only games between members of the group, instead of all games of all members of the group?

(For me that’d be the sensible default :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Here’s some more thoughts.

On the group page it would also be sensible to have a button to hide the games.

On the idea of one line per game we could adopt short form in the clocks:

1 Like

Since you made us able to see how many games we have can you also let us see how many friends I have, for some players like my go teachers it isn’t a problem but for people like me I don’t want to spend five minutes of my life counting how many friends i have thanks.

2 Likes

That was his intent, he ORd instead of ANDing and will patch it soon :+1:

6 Likes

Awesome, I really liked this update! But one thing that I still miss is the ability to create game challenges within the group, I believe this would fit very well with this game list and create more iteration within groups. It would also motivate the existence of some groups, like a “teaching group”, say.

2 Likes

BTW, what I suggested is technically already possible by creating small tournaments inside the group. But this “solution” is too dirty to actually be used…

(I didn’t click it), bots everywhere on 1st page

Opened first bot and first human game

everyone watching bot vs bot
humans had only me as 3rd

3 Likes

This has been fixed.

1 Like

But, the bots are playing at or near professional level, the other game is between a 7k and and a 4k, so I don’t think this is conclusive evidence yet.

1 Like

Everyone can run bots on their own computer or turn it on in filter
This is ONLINE server. Humans wish to be watched. Bots don’t have this feeling yet.
Game was kyu because there were no dans at moment, kyu wish to be watched too.
Kyu need to wish to become dan, so they watched more often.

2 Likes

This is the actual problem OGS has, though. Not enough strong players.

Could be true, but what’s apparently also is true, is that humans want to watch strong bots playing.

I don’t think being watched is the key to becoming a dan player. Probably watching strong bots playing is actually more helpful in that regard.

5 Likes

With this update if you just go to the group members list, (or maybe you just know the username, or maybe you’re talking to them in chat etc) and challenge them, won’t the game automatically show up in the group games list in both the group and in chat?

It’s more or less the same except if you didn’t want the game to appear in the main site list of games.

1 Like