Cheating

Perhaps there is a simple fix:

I noticed before that a “T” sign after the username means that the play has recently timed out a game.

Perhaps ogs should also show the percentage of the games where the player refused to accept the score.

If someone refuses to accept the score 50% of the time, one has good reasons not playing with the player.

2 Likes

The enforce scoring button? I still don’t understand why we’re talking about this issue over and over when there’s such a simple solution. @.@

But if the automatic scoring is wrong?

Still, you do not have to reach scoring at all to ruin the game for your opponent. That’s where I see the main problem. Reporting the person and resigning seems the most logical solution to me. I do not care for the result of such a game anyway. Especially since my rating will be restored after.

2 Likes

OGS should ban players that refuse to accept the score 50% of the time. With the usual caveats of trying to figure out of the person just doesn’t understand or something.

1 Like

The problem with any “hardcoded rule” like this is you can game it.

If I am this sort of wierd person who likes cheating whatever way I can find, I will simply refuse to accept the score 49% of the time, and enjoy the other cheats I can find as well.

There’s really no replacement for an out-of-system solution, such as a moderator.

It really doesn’t need more thought or energy than that: the solution is already implemented. Report the person to a moderator and move on. If we do that, then suddenly the person trying to game the system doesn’t have a system to game.

3 Likes

I didn’t suggest that it be a hardcoded rule, so we’re actually in agreement.

1 Like

Ah - I see what you mean. The “hard number” like “50%” made it sound “hardcoded”.

I totally agree that the mods should ban people who appear to be cheating by refusing to score a lot of the time - they probably already do that :slight_smile:

I could be wrong but I don’t feel like it’s a big issue on this server… yes there are people who do it but overwhelmingly I think the community is pretty good, which means mods probably just assess users on an “on report” basis

3 Likes

Hello. I joined app 2 1/2 months ago or so. I’ve been trying to learn the game. I had no idea how the server/system works. I was at a total lost. I played many games as a ?? and I had no idea that I had to be “ranked”. That term is strange to me c/s is in past tense. After I was told how to go about and became a ranked member I have play many games with very normal people. However, there a person or two who has done strange things that disturbed me. For example, when I win… instead of passing he/she began to throw stones into his territory. I asked him why is he doing that. He says “why not”. The he continued to throw stones into my territory non stop …given me all those stones. This went on and on for app n10 min, and I did not know what to do. He stated that he was not a robot!
People in drugs, drunks, or any other form of mental problem - should - not- be - allowed to play. I view the server the same as if I play at a club or wth friends where RESPECT is extremely important. This is AN ORIENTAL game with RULES. I am surprise tht we are even discussing this. I just hope that this kind of behaviour is Not allowed.

Everyone is allowed to play. The type of play you described can be annoying but it is certainly not against any rule. If YOU do not want to play them then YOU can block them to prevent them from accepting your open games.

3 Likes

There is a lot of respect here.

I’m not sure what makes you think that the kind of behaviour we are talking about is allowed.

It is not.

However, it is not trivial to detect and eliminate it.

The case you reported was dealt with.

It would now be respectful of the moderators to accept that it was dealt with, and accept that the correct mechanism for handling it has been explained to you and you should follow it.

The way for handling apparent cheating is to report it to a moderator and move on. And trust that they will handle it appropriately. Then you need to accept that you no longer have to worry about it, after you have reported it, because it will be handled.

The nature of this conversation appears to be that you don’t feel like the current mechanism for dealing with cheaters is adequate.

But in fact, the experience of most people is that it is adequate. Maybe you should trust that, and trust the moderators, until you have evidence that this isn’t working.

Regards,

GaJ

4 Likes

I am surprised. When someone is filling w stones every space available in his territory aFter the game is over after he loses, then he returns and begins to do the same in my territory, is that fine? Hmmm it sounds to me like he is NOt playing, he is doing something to upset others and is keeping others wasting their time. Please confirm. Because if this behaviour is allowed, I need to reconsider whether I can play here.

Like GaJ said, you’ve already done what you’re meant to by reporting the player to the mods… In my own personal opinion you yourself are not without a bad attitude, so I’m sorry if it sounded like I was taking their side. Such a player should (and has been) warned against continuing such behaviour… but my personal opinion is that your ranting seems a bit out of proportion. My advice would be to simply report and move on and not let such minded people affect you so much.

5 Likes

I think that people here think that I am criticizing the mds. I am Not. But I am concerned, however, with the response that anyone can play here regardless of what they do. Hmmm ??? Never imagine such reasoning.
I was concerned that these people are changing their username, and 'll be in that very upsetting position again. Hence, if I was to block someone he could have comeback to bug me with a different username. I was told that they cannot do that and that is great. The reason behind today’s msg it simply to bring back the issue of people who I still believe should not be here. Others are stating that anyone can come to this server to upset and do whatever they want. That makes me raise my eyebrows.

Okay, to make things completely clear:

Yes, you are technically correct, there is no game game rule against it, but as in all games or sports, there are also certain rules of sportsmanship, and this behaviour is certainly not welcomed here (as witnessed by the quick moderator response).

Already discussed, but blocking a person stops him from playing you regardless of username and at any rate you can only change your username once every month.

Yes, this is the internet, and anyone can come here. However if they start making too much trouble, their accounts will be banned. Again, as witnessed by the mod response.

There are many people with many problems. We do not know every cause and reaction, so please refrain from using terms like drugs and mental issues, even though these people are annyoing to us. Best thing to do IMHO is not to humour those players by giving them what they want and just reporting them and resigning. Which has also the benefit of not ruining your day and not wasting your time. Also this issue really is quite rare, so let’s not blow this out of proportions :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you adam I think you summed up well what I was trying to say, I think I just needed to calm down a bit first as I was quite shocked by some of ggg’s comments and attitudes that you addressed.

1 Like

i am not quite sure what the problem is exactly? are you dissatisfied with how your situtation was handled?
it is true, that we have mods react to behaviour like the one you encountered only after the fact. however i fear that there isnt another sensible way to deal with this. we cant have people install alko-locks on their pc’s… and i can only imagine the success of asking people if they are planning to troll here :smile:.
it sounds like you wish to prevent pllayers like that from even registering here, but i am curious what kind of pre-selection you had in mind?

i believe you will find the advice that made @Adam3141 famous satisfactory in time, which is to report the player, resign and dont let it bother you any further, as it will only waste your own energy.

There might be a way!!!

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’ve just excluded everyone on the planet. Ain’t a person alive who’s made it through childhood without mental scars.

3 Likes