Cheating

I’ve said my peace. I’m out.

5 Likes

The irony of this siutation is that everyone here has been so polite, helpful, and ultimately tolerant. Spending their “precious time” - far more than the 5 minute you begrudged - to help a new person through problems that few other people have experienced.

Most people were here and continued reading because they were interested in only one thing: helping you.

I wish you very good luck with finding another community that suits you better: that likely will be the best thing for everyone.

I’m also sure that if you decide that OGS community is afterall perhaps not as bad as you thought, we will welcome you back - as long as you play and converse courteously.

9 Likes

And that it is Your opinion and that of other two - It does Not represent the whole Forum community.

At the risk of belaboring the issue, there is an important distinction between ethics and etiquette. Etiquette is a community agreement on proper behavior which if violated can result in ostracism. Ethics is a much heavier issue. I’m categorically opposed to creating moral prerequisites for playing go. One of the legends of go’s origin has it as a stabilizing force for an emperor’s son. True or not, if the use of go is anything like that of chess, saying only the pious can play would be a detriment to the world.

Also, from the IGS etiquette page:

OGS has the same policy. There is no way to automatically enforce politeness. Any server you go to is going to have similar policies with people make judgement calls.

9 Likes

@goodgame, there is a question for you:
How would you handle a go-server on your own?
(just a thought experiment)

Would this rule a good rule to handle a internet base go- server?
(I for myselfwouldnt write here cause I smoke some weed from time to time, while playing OGS. Following your rules, you just banned me :frowning:

But jsut for the thought experiment: How will you prevent that?
Would you made everyone a drug test on a regular basis? Send a certificate from the local doctor about ones mental health, before joining OGS?
But lets say this would be the case for our imaginary server, what will happen?
Less user, of course. At least they who coudn’t comply (for example me)
and less user they dont want to do such a procedure.
(Would YOU joined OGS with such rules?)

And what are “any other mental problems”

• anger issues? :rage:
  • depressions? :expressionless:
  • burn outers? :tired_face:
  • medicament abuser? :upside_down_face:
  • selfharmer? :hocho:
  • workaholics (ok, they wouldn’t have time to play, anyway)
  • anxiety problemers? :scream:
  • TV and Computer junkies? :man_technologist:
  • people with eating disorders? :hamburger::fries::pizza::cheese:
    (one is only allowed with a healthy BMI :weight_lifting_woman:)
  • Not being aware of all the issues of themself and doing stupid things without noticing it (like a Trump :blonde_man: )

And what about game addictions!!! (A “You-can-only-playing-here-if-you-dont-want-to-playing-here”-rule? :eyes:)

Who decides, what is a mental problem and was is the normal human condition to struggeling with life? You?

But for the thought experiment lets say so:
What about you? Are YOU sure you are free of any Issues that you could classified in similar catagories?

Maybe this server would have no user at all?

But maybe it will work. Maybe you are right and this could be THE perfect server with no problems of social unbehavior. Who am I to make assumptions without trying it?.

4 Likes

LOL… we need to have some common sense, of course. I was not referring to people playing online! How would one know what the state of that person is! We were talking of someone out of line. A cheater. If you look at the thread…it is about “cheating”. If however, we are in a club face to face … someone coming in a state of drunkness, acting up because of drugs or whatever other reason–as long as they are acting up -they should Not be allowed. That is expected of any common civilization.

I am still here until I get my other membership ready. Hence, I wont be replying for much longer. Oh I almost forgot. Yes, mental illness. IF that person did not take his med perhaps is a zchizoprenic and s upsetting people… reason tells you that NO…they cannot be allowed to join the group. That is life.

Well since you made that comment on an online-go forum following the statement of how you were treated in one of the games here, it kind of stands to reason that you would in fact NOT be talking about face to face play at a local go club. Just saying…

As further supported by this statement

anyway since you seem to have made up your mind about switching servers, you can let me know if you need any help setting up an account at Pandanet (however I think the process is pretty straightforward) and better luck there. Hope they stand up to your expectations and demands.

4 Likes

Adam, I made it Very clear - I am not switching c/s of the server, but the people on this Forum. I do Not appreciate people pointing fingers on me just c/s I was venting. I have already stated this. I hope that I dont have to keep repeating myself. Thanks. I would appreciate you helping me to remove myself from OGS -I sent a msg to Mark but have not received a reply. I have already signed with Pandeta and Im waiting for someone to help me with KGS I think that is the name.

Its strange that you demand high standards of etiquette and respect from others, yet feel that you should be allowed to vent in our forum unchecked. Venting is disrespectful and not good etiqutte at all.

You are a newcomer to the club, but you came in and before you’ve even learned how it works, you started with complaining that our “system is broken”. This is really quite rude.

In response, all the people in this forum have treated you with the greatest of respect, politely answering your questions and respectfully pointing out where you have strayed. We even each have wished you well - earnestly and respectfully - when you have said you are leaving us because you don’t like how we react to you.

It’s a shame that despite all this really good treatment, you are leaving feeling ill treated. I feel I can speak for most of us here in saying that this was not the intent of anyone here.

GaJ

8 Likes

You have your buddies here who you like to defend. Who said that “venting” is not a good etiquitte. Is it not ths place to discuss problems? As I stated earlier, I was not reading your conversations on the cheating thread. But after awhile I thought it was a good idea to come back when I read Hyden stating that “anyone is free to play here” Hmm I had to respond to that. And as I said, if you have experience in this Forum, then this thread should have ended Long Ago. Because simply my venting s not something that people wants to hear. W"hy bother?
This gentleman consistently chose to judge me but defend the offender. Why?

In response to me been rude cause I said that there is something wrong with the server. And I did send a msg to the programmers asking for improvements… In good faith. You did not pass through what I passed through. It was just not one time but a total of THREE times.

No-one has defended the offenders.

I presume they are being dealt with the best way possible, assuming that they were reported.

It should have ended there, but you were not satisfied.

Interestingly people aren’t judging you at all. They are simply pointing out where your “vent” crossed the line of politeness and practicality (both).

If you are going to step into a public forum and vent unreasonably, while also complaining about the system unreasonably - then people are going to point that out. Which we all have done. And really no more than that.

So - the system is not “faulty” as you initially claimed.

There is a system to deal with cheaters, and it was explained to you.

If it isn’t working to your satisfaction, you are welcome to try somewhere else and we still all wish you well.

Regards,

GaJ

5 Likes

I did not ask, repeating yourself was your choice :wink:

That’s all you need to do. Mark will terminate your accounts once he finds the time. In the meantime if you are subscribed to some e-mail alerts you can disable those in the settings so they don’t bother you (or there is usually some un-subscribe link at the end of the e-mail I am not sure now, would have to see which one exactly).

3 Likes

ggg from my experience the community here is extremely helpful and welcoming. Unfortunately beyond pointing out the possible lacks in TOS, this thread has yet to be proven useful.

Not sure if you can see the pattern, but while community is trying to look for improvements in our environment you are trying to put blame on individuals, whether they are 2 kids which you took for a single person that was trying to annoy you on purpose or a single person that highlighted the non-constructive nature of your remarks.

And just to reiterate on the main concern if ‘anybody is allowed to play here?’. I’ll repeat after others - yes they are. In case of abusers they can be blocked individually and for repetitive abusers excluded from community.

Wether you’ll stay around or look for other places you WILL find annoying people (if there is TOS or not). I do really hope you’ll find your own way to enjoy game of Go despite of some ‘trollish’ individuals.

6 Likes

How much of an expert are you too to determine that one should not express their dislike when hearing that anyone can come and play? . Of course, I did not expect you not to come forward to gang up to put me down to help out. It was expectable. I feel very confident that I have done Nothing wrong.

Read your msgs. Anyone realize that you guys the three of you are judging me. Why? Have I judged you, or the other one who said that I am rude?

I a new here but I know what Forums are for. So that you know

I would like to suggest that you begin to read from the beginning and see what really transpired. With the exception of TWO msgs telling about the cheater, the rest were ALL responses to the person who felt I was a nuisance. Then my responses were to the others who began to gang up. All you need to do is to read each message. I strongly advise it to you or anyone else. The ranting, rambling, and venting…does No exist.
I did challenge, however, those who were pointing fingers on me.

Aw, I don’t get an angry reply? I feel left out. :cry:

2 Likes

Please keep this thread civil and on topic. We all agree the player was out of line, and that matter has been dealt with. The only item in the original post left to discuss is whether “this system is faulty.”

I don’t think our system is much different from other servers, but if anyone’s got ideas for improving the system, feel free to describe them here, so long as you respect each other in the process.

8 Likes

I agree that issues with servers will always exist. When you have a minute, Mark would you kindly remove my profile if that is possible?

Thank you

MOD EDIT: profile deactivated by request

Thank you.

I send this video. I hope that the Forum enjoy it! https://www.google.ca/search?q=youtube+horse+with+no+name&oq=youtube+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i65j69i60j69i65j69i60j69i57.8143j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Anybody else thinks TOS needs a chapter around Go etiquette? When I was learning the game that aspect was quite important to me, so it seems like a good idea to introduce newcomers with a set of general standards that go beyond the strictness of TOS

2 Likes