China ban online gaming / talking

Depending on how thoroughly this is implemented, this could have a significant impact on not just our community here on OGS but on all of online Go :frowning_face:

11 Likes

Wow! (if true)

1 Like

I don’t want to believe this. :worried:

1 Like

Talkesports links to taiwannews which links to 3c.ltn.com.tw which reports the original source as a vague “chinese gaming website”. They talk about what is going to be implemented in the future. So we haven’t seen any actual hard proof yet, just empty words. Anyway it seems very plausible considering china’s previous actions.

5 Likes
6 Likes

I guess we will see them after the Gamer Peoples Revolution!

You can expect anything from that gov.

2 Likes

china is trying to close its people off to the rest of the world like north korea

3 Likes

Looks like this didn’t happen. But two reports tonight indicates in is now. https://forums.online-go.com/t/how-was-your-day-regular/25749/4661

1 Like

Fake news is everywhere. There is no ban at all. In fact, Chinese laws are much less than other countries because China revise laws every two years, which is a very long period.

1 Like

Only news i got about ban is south korea ending his own online gaming control a few days ago, as it has been proven to not be that efficient (mainly to a switch to mobile gaming, between others).

1 Like

Here are some news articles

5 Likes

The new regulations don’t apply to all video games, only online games.

Here’s the official notice from NPPA:

Rough translation:

Recently, the National Press and Publication Administration issued the “Notice on Further Strict Management to Effectively Prevent Minors from Being Addicted to Online Games”, which in response to the problem of minors’ excessive use and even addiction to online games, aims at further strict management measures to resolutely prevent minors from being addicted to online games and effectively protect minors’ physical and mental health.

This notice requires all online gaming companies to strictly limit the time of providing online gaming services to minors. Companies may only provide one hour of services to minors from 20:00 to 21:00 daily on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays, and may not provide online game services to minors in any form at other times. Companies must strictly implement the requirements of real-name registration and login of user accounts, and may not provide online game services in any form to users without real-name registration and login. The publishing management departments at all levels should strengthen the supervision and inspection of the implementation of these measures to prevent minors from being addicted to online games. Online gaming companies that fail to strictly implement these measures shall be seriously dealt with according to the law and regulations.

The notice proposes to actively guide families, schools and other communities to co-manage and co-govern, to fulfill the responsibility of guardianship of minors according to law, and to create a favorable environment for the healthy growth and development of minors.

13 Likes

@xhu98 has confirmed that Fox (Tencent) Go Server have already implemented these new obligations.

3 Likes

On a side effect i am afraid this will isolate Chinese online players of any age from the rest of the world because of the identification procedures.

How is it implemented in details ?

Users provide their age and access to accounts is restricted for youth.

That i understood. What i mean is what they ask exactly. Name age id card number facial pic and so on… ? How is the registration for foreigner too ?

No idea. I just saw xhu talking about it on FB and since he is both currently in China and deeply involved in several Go communities I figured he was a reliable source.

4 Likes

I am asking because It’s things i read on western news. It’s big concern because for example with the necessity to show a chinese id. card and facial recognition, Fox is going to change into a chinese players only go website.

See for example (in french)

Pour empêcher les mineurs de contourner l’interdiction, ces derniers devront se connecter avec une pièce d’identité

groupe, qui imposait déjà des limitations de temps de jeu et la reconnaissance faciale

And what about YikeWeiqi and others?

4 Likes

My Fox account is still working.

5 Likes