Chinese counting

There was an explanation in the Nie Weiping Go Academy textbook on Chinese counting:

So basically if I understood it correct, you first remove the dead stones, then order the territories into tens and see how much it is, then you count the remaining black stones (preferable into group of tens), and add it to the territory count, then you will have to subtract komi, and compare the result with 180,5 to see with how many point black has won or lost.

2 Likes

Although I use a much more lazy version for Chinese counting. Fill out black’s area using the left stones (and white stones if there are not enough black stones), remove white’s stones from the board and put all black stones on one side, subtract komi, and see how many stone to or from tengen black’s side is.

1 Like

After removing the dead stones, inside black’s area (=territory+black boundary) you are free to add or remove black stones, so that’s easier to make multiples of 10 for territories.

3 Likes

Where this book come from? Is it possible to buy in the states? Looks fun!

It is a set of four books (25kyu-1kyu). I bought mine from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004623372598.html

I think you can find individual volumes on amazon but then they are more expensive.

2 Likes

FTFY

1 Like

Even easier than adding or subtracting komi at the end is to remember the magic number needed for a win (with normal komi). I.e. with 7.5 komi, 177 for white, 185 for black. This is one reason why this way of counting is really no harder than the Japanese one.

1 Like

What is the Meaning of FTFY?

As an internet acronym, “ftfy” means “fixed that for you”.

In terms of how to use ftfy, on the one hand, “FTFY” whose full form is “fixed that for you”, is used to convey that the problem or trouble has been figured out or solved.

On the other hand, the abbreviation FTFY standing for “fixed that for you” is used sarcastically to point out a different opinion from that of another one or others.

i had to search

1 Like

If it’s any consolation to you: I have looked this up at least 3 times before and still couldn’t remember.

3 Likes