Combining the Home and Play pages

Well the home page is the very first button at the top navigation, and then you just click your username and it brings you straight there.

The other half of the time I open the notification panel and click my name there and then click my name again on the drop down (it involves more clicks though :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Maybe we can consider ditching ā€œclunkyā€ as a way to describe features. It isnā€™t that descriptive (i.e. how does one fix a ā€œclunkyā€ feature?) and we should keep in mind that people who create thus stuff actually hang around here :slight_smile:

Actionable

Not actionable

3 Likes

I could.
The home page has less features: games, groups, tournaments. Thatā€™s all I need usually.
Profile page has also trophies, reviews and history, which I donā€™t need usually.

If you hide ranks (like I do) that just isnā€™t there.

Actually, I like home page because it has LESS features. :smiley:
Itā€™s simpler and faster.
I also donā€™t use thumbnails for games.
I would also do without my face! :smiley: (the user image)
And I could also do without friend list, since itā€™s available in the top bar.

If you want to remove duplicates, Iā€™d prefer removing them from the profile page.

1 Like

I believe Home should be the places/info one most wants to see when on the site. I donā€™t come to this site to see my profile :slight_smile: although I can get there from many places when I want to!

Main reason I come to OGS is to play1, so I think that is the rationale for adding at least some of the components into the homepage.

1Thatā€™s a lie, I come here for the Forums

5 Likes

This is interesting, the main reason I go to the OGS site is to review my games or look at game history for some reason so I only ever want the profile page.

[Maybe could distil the whole of OGS down to a page for ā€œgamesā€ (current ones, historical ones and finding new ones) and one for ā€œnot gamesā€* for everything else. ]

ā€˜*ā€™ Or just ā€œforumsā€ obvs

2 Likes

For starters I wasnā€™t going to repeat what he said so I agreed with him by typing its clunky.

Second off clunky is informative if you donā€™t know what is clunky when pointing out a feature is clunky I donā€™t know what to tell you. And, if you can look at the graph and not understand why its clunky then I donā€™t think there is anything I could say that would make it descriptive enough since you simply have a different opinion.

And, if you do think its clunky and just donā€™t think I included enough information then well to bad I guess I was responding to someone with an agreeative statement not a statement of my own.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair. I guess Iā€™m trying to let you know that saying stuff is clunky is a little clunky (takes up space and doesnā€™t provide any additional information)

1 Like

Sometimes no more information needs to be provided and a thread just needs to show that there are ā€œmoreā€ people who agree with an issue. He stated what needed to be stated the next step is people agreeing with it or disagreeing with it.

3 Likes

Nailed it.

Once again we find that other peopleā€™s use and practices are totally suprising to each other.

The phone people seem to use the Home page. Personally, like tea, I rarely click on the Home page link, much more often on the Profile link.

1 Like

Didnā€™t we establish before that laptop people use the home page due to using the whole screen. I am a phone personā€¦

[Donā€™t understand why the profile page canā€™t use the whole screen though. Itā€™s nonsense that the game history table is in its own little window surrounded by blank spaces either side. I know itā€™s been raised before in another thread but stillā€¦]

I dunno I was just responding to the fact that Bhydden and others said they like the Home page on their phone? Or did I misunderstand that.

Anyway suffice to say it was nice to hear from another person who uses Profile rather than Home :smiley:

(Iā€™m on a laptop, FWIW).

I use both (mainly phone though) and I use both pages, but for different reasons, none having to do with page layout.

Reasons for using home:

• mainly because thatā€™s where online-go directs me :slight_smile:
  • itā€™s (currently) the quickest way to get to my groups pages

Reasons for using profile:

• game history
  • reviews and demos
  • most of the stuff at the top (ongoing games, rank analysis) is more useful to me when creeping on other people

My phone only usually has chat open.

On my desktop I have a forum tab, chat tab, home tab, and mod center tab

I only go to profile if I want to check something in historyā€¦

What do you use the Home page for?

I only ever arrive there when OGS directs me there (maybe fresh tab or something?)

I get to my games by clicking the notification indicator.

I have the impression that some people use Home to select which game to play ā€¦ this might be more common for people who have lots of games going at once, which is not me.

Underlining the fact that usage is very person/circumstance dependent!

Edit: I just discovered that the usage habit that gets me to the Home page is when Iā€™m in the forum and chose the link at the top of the forum to go from here to the main site - that ends me up at the Home page. The other way I get to the main site is via a bookmarked Chat tab.

Home should honestly be where important information is placed. Information you would want new players to know when they are entering and probably a section for the announcements that keep popping up because then it would make home an important section for some people to want to read and look at.

There is so much wrong with the home area being the games section.

2 main reasons.

• For me itā€™s a clean page to go to occasionally to monitor what site announcements are currently active, since I normally dismiss the popups.
  • I typically respond quickly in my corr games, so often there is a long time between making moves, so once or twice per day I like to at least look at the boards of my active games even though it isnā€™t my move to keep the positions churning over in the back of my brain. And on the home page they are right there but on profile theyā€™re under rank and mod log and custom user profile note so home is just easier.
1 Like

Donā€™t get me started on that. When I first joined OGS I was faced with a blank page that says something like ā€œyouā€™re not playing any gamesā€. So I clicked on ā€œgamesā€ ā€¦ I think I freaked out at that point and closed everything. I must have eventually found ā€œplayā€ but then that graph and all the incomprehensible boxes!

2 Likes

When I first started and was looking for information I kept going to home page I thought it was a bug and almost decided to not play here luckily I clicked the chat before exiting.

All the important information gets hidden in the hamburger symbol or in settings. The home page would be so much more useful if it displayed links to important information, announcements, announcement history(or just post the announcement history on that page), maybe a bit of an explanation of the settingsā€¦ or a link to the explanation of the settings lol.

5 Likes

I like the home page, i just wish it could have 4 thumbnails per row by default. (i have set the zoom at 67% from the browser, this allows 4 thumbnails to fit nicely on each row.)

But i can also see how meaningless that page would look for somebody who doesnt have ongoing games. As a landing page for new users it probably just looks weird and intimidating.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to revive this suggestion by @hanayeol which might be useful for players that donā€™t play correspondence games, or players with no ongoing correspondence games.

The idea is to incorporate the quick match game finder into the homepage.

Maybe a modification to this idea, would be only to show this quick match button on the homepage when no games are ongoing for the user.

4 Likes