Combining the Home and Play pages

In case you’re curious:

2 Likes

@shinuito I remember this discussion, surprised it didn’t get any traction past that mock. I would LOVE automatch buttons on the homepage.

2 Likes

Yeah, as a landing page after the very first log-in that is kinda boring and doesnt actually help explaining what ogs is about.

… since you shared yours, lemme share mine ^^

Home page only gets useful after the user has used the site for some time and has joined tournaments/groups/games etc. Maybe /observe-games would be better as a landing page?

2 Likes

Or maybe show a welcome message if it is a new user?

Something like:

"Hello and welcome username, this page is empty for the moment, but will fill with gorgeous go games, friends and groups you participate in if you stay sometime.

You can find games here

Access your profile here

Change settings here

or learn to play go with this tutorial if you don’t know yet.

If you have any questions feel free to use the FAQ or post a message on the forum.

Good luck with your games!"

So basically a quick introduction to the site. ?

1 Like

I mean that could be a dismissible popup, it doesn’t change the big empty space that players just playing live games see on the home page. :slight_smile:

It’s not a message you’d want to see everytime you have no running games I imagine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, sure, it should show only on the first day or so, I agree. I’d prefer to see it on the lobby rather as a pop-up. As others pointed out the homepage can be confusing/intimidating when you log in for the first time.

Otherwise a game counter or the graph from the profile page could be integrated? I play mainly live games so indeed it remains mostly empty, and isn’t very useful for me most of the time.

Some overhaul mix-up of the profile/homepage would make a lotta sense to me too. :slight_smile:

*edit: or the home and play pages lmao

1 Like

For ancient users like me, the best fantastic impossible feature would be a shortcut customizable menu with these features:

• an easy link to be summoned from wherever in the site: look at “home” link
  • contents that the user likes best: someone could love chat, someone else reviews or rank chart or whatever.
    For me it’s games, groups, ladders and tournaments.

I don’t really care if it’s called profile or home or belly button. :grin:

Probably profile should have a unique layout, because other players could check there your previous games and history in order to decide if you are a suitable opponent. So too much customisation could be confusing.

2 Likes

I suppose this is a good thing to keep in mind, in that your profile is probably used by both you and others, whereas the home page is just for the user.

4 Likes

That popup might as well say Find Willing Online Teachers Near You, I don’t know, there’s something about the conceited text in the popup that is a slight turn off for me.

Jokes aside, I am all for the idea of a personalisable Home page.

I would like having building blocks (widgets?) for different sections of the site and being able to compose it a little bit like an Android screen.

1 Like

You forgot the most important: “has active correspondence games”. If you never play correspondence games (like me) then the Home Page is completely useless.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.