Community Geoguesser

Good one!

1 Like

Yeah, you can clearly recognize the Shard and the London Eye in front of the Cotswold Hills.

3 Likes

I’m finding this evil because there are many many more famous ferris wheels and pyramidal buildings in the likely areas of the world…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s, like, your opinion, man.

I think in general, once there is writing, the quests get easier. Pictograms are the same everywhere, but Greek letters are only used in two countries, for example, Devanagari only in northern India; Arabic writing is hard, of course, or Spanish. With Spanish, it could be anywhere…

1 Like

Indeed, it is Istanbul, with the very large clue being both the extraordinarily large “river” (it’s not a river but a strait) and the bridge itself (being the 31st largest suspension bridge in the world, although there are two other bridges in Turkey higher up the list)

4 Likes

It’s Andorra, “propietat privada” is Catalan, and the mountains imply it being in the Pyrenees.

1 Like

While I understand the words, I don’t understand the sentiment?

It is indeed my opinion that the challenge you set is very hard (“evil” being a word for “devilishly tricky” which is another way of saying “very hard”)

Usually when people say “that’s your opinion” they mean “but it’s not a good opinion”.

I will be curious to find out how a person unfamiliar with that exact building finds it.

I thought that the text on the building is Catalan, which put this probably in the Barcelona or wider Pyrenees.

There’s this fantastic match as one example of the kind of thing you can find searching for pyramidal buildings near ferris wheels in the area :slight_smile:

But it is astounding how popular pyramidal buildings and ferris wheels are around there!

Edit: to further clarify: “evil” doesn’t mean “bad” in this context! Just very challenging!, to the point of pain for me trying unsuccessfully to solve it. (Istanbul with a Renault on the bridge was also evil :smiley: :smiley: )

3 Likes

I usually first try to find pictures of cities I suspect. It doesn’t take too long to scroll through some photos, and probably the location in the challenge is well-known enough to be found through the first page of google images.

In this case I started with the right city immediately. I also chose Andorra, because I expected the Catalan area of Spain to have signs in Spanish instead of Catalan, or have them in both languages.

1 Like

Traditionally the Bosporus marks the boundary between Europe and Asia, as I’m sure you know.

Brilliantly done.

I even looked at Andora in Google Maps but didn’t spot a likely looking site. I’ll have to think of looking at images of suspect cities, though that seems slower and more laborious!

1 Like

1 Like

Absolutely, I had no idea until you pointed it out for me.

I was just quoting from The Big Lebowski. I find your pictures of beaches with big rocks quite hard, or the view from that dining room in a tower. The Renault on a bridge was no problem for me, because I’m quite used to seeing all kinds of European brands all over the place. When I look out of my window, I see an Opel , a Toyota, a Skoda, a Nissan a VW and another Opel. Across the street, the electro company uses Citroën vans.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about!

And as for Vsotveps newest picture, I have absolutely no idea where to start.

That one was easy, if you recognise the Sparkasse logo on the skyscraper.

The hardest one for me was the Swiss valley. The Korean one and Lake Pukaki were very hard as well. And I don’t think I would have found Frankfurt an der Oder without the extra picture of the church.

I’m gonna google now for “beaches with black rubbish bins”…

1 Like

I’ve made the picture a bit larger for you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“beach with black and blue rubbish bin”…

Sometimes you just recognise the iconic landscape eh? :smiley:

2 Likes

:smiley: good one. I guess you’re the landscape guy and I’m the … gut-feeling guy.

1 Like

Let’s do another beachfront. It think it’s like the last one: if you don’t recognise it, I’m not sure how you’ll find it. On the other hand, surely a bunch of you have been there.

By the way: is that a thing: you have to have been to the places that you share?

There’s an extra opportunity in this one - you have to find the matching shot in google. Doing that you might see something that amused me…

1 Like