Community Geoguesser

1 Like

Neither did I, I had to search for it. Since it looks very much like a German or Dutch city, and the number plates were not the right colour for a Dutch one, I first tried finding the church in German (doppelturm Kirche: two-tower church), which gave me the church. Then I found the postoffice in the Wikipedia article on Frankfurt an der Oder.

6 Likes

I thought I was on to something on a suspension bridge on the Seine in France… but now I’m not so sure.

2 Likes

Yeah - I think it’s cruel that there isn’t a compass in this picture. That car is a Renault, so it will be evil if it is not in France…

1 Like

I guess I’m evil, then…

As for the compass, you’re looking straight south here.

1 Like

Oh man … how many French bridges did I needlessly visit :smiley: :smiley:

What other clues are there?

(To be fair, I am on the trail of two very blurry clues, but each is a long shot…)

1 Like

There is literally a large clue in the picture. Or a literally large clue. :wink:

Is it the circular building in the background. I need to learn how to describe it more for google besides Castle on water near bridge or something like that. I am also just assuming it is a castle because I don’t know what else it would be.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been following the same lead, various branches, and also something very big in the background on the horizon…

1 Like

Are you saying you know it… I failed again.

At this point I am looking in China. I don’t really know what normal buildings look like in China because every country has its own unique style. Well, I guess I will be learning something new today :slight_smile:

Regrettably, I think I have to give in.

I couldn’t crack the fortress/castle thing, even noting that there might be an existing military connection (warship in the river).

And even noting that this is a very big river … you would think there would not be so many huge rivers with north-south sections in Europe … but there are.

I’ll be astonished if it’s not Europe, given the car and the architecture. It seems most northern-Italian to me (given that it is not France).

I was hoping this would be something:

… looks almost like a huge bridge in the distance, but I couldn’t get any leverage there either.

I was looking at a circular building with steps from it and another, smaller one in front. I didn’t realize the Great Wall of China was with square rooms and not circle rooms. Well not rooms but I don’t know how I would describe them.
On the right near the water.

Have you found apartment blocks looking like that in China? I am totally unfamiliar with what you might find, but I didn’t think so. There is also a church-like spire in front of the fortress, that doesn’t appear to be something you’d find in China.

1 Like

I think we are going to kick ourselves when we find out though, because that is a heck of a wide river.

This is indeed a very wide river, but the water doesn’t look muddy like a river would… It’s rather wine-coloured sea-blue. The architecture looks very mediterranean, so does the guy driving the car and there’s a dustiness in the air.

Are we in Constantinople, also known as Istanbul?

3 Likes

I feel like there’s potential for a “Our Virgin’s Chapel vs. The Chad’s Cathedral” meme…

1 Like

Hmm, I thought Istanbul would be more built-up. I figured this was just a couple of Greek islands and if I wanted to guess I’d have to grind through a hundred bridges.

1 Like

The colour of the water was getting me, that’s for sure.

I was searching the Mediterranean for a blue river, and strangely didn’t think of ports/the sea.