Curious as to which AI/bots people prefer to play against…

Curious as to which AI/bots people prefer to play against…

• amybot-beginner
  • Ami-Go-v1.8
  • amybot-ddk
  • teresa.c
  • Budgie
  • GnuGo-v3.8
  • Spectral-10k
  • AI2GO_BOT
  • ai2go
  • (kirby flipping board) sighs
  • Spectral-13k
  • Kugutsu
  • Spectral-7k
  • NightlyGNU
  • BadukEllington
  • Spectral-4k
  • Spectral-1k

0 voters

Couldn’t fit them all…

• DreamingElephant
  • Spectral-2d
  • kata-one-playout
  • cortexGo
  • RoyalLeela
  • MinusGo
  • RoyalMinigo
  • RoyalLZ-ELF
  • kata-bot
  • RoyalZero
  • RoyalZeroSlow
  • JBXKataBot
  • masamune_40b
  • I NEVER USE AI

0 voters

3 Likes

Is there a reason you did this on a thread that the last post was 6 years ago? Why not just make a new thread? I did vote though. On one of them because I only remember my games against one of them even though I have played more.

I thought about creating a new thread. I was shy.

1 Like

Don’t be. Some will like it, others won’t. That doesn’t change no matter if it is a new topic or a new post on a thread. It will all be fine in the end. Though I think it deserves its own thread👍

Is there a way to just move it? Maybe someone in a position of power can make the judgement call.

1 Like

Really no need to drive a six years old thread off topic.

4 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

Trying to distinguish the colours in the results. :rofl:

1 Like

FIFY…

“bots I like to play against”

• Spectral variants
  • Inferior kyu bots

0 voters

I play against Kata now and again, and sometimes I would play against Leela Zero back in the day.

I played against Kugutsu because I found giving it free placement handicap interesting (I managed eventually to give it five stones.)

These days I only play against a bot if I want to get beaten very smoothly and then be surprised about it. At my level / style I find KataGo to be a very instructive influence-cum-moyo player.

I remember when the main OGS bot was RoyalLeela, with a side of DarkGo :3

1 Like

Just realized you can mouse over the pie to see what the corresponding thing is.

3 Likes

Oh. Yes, I knew of course.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Two types of kyus who play against AI…
People who play against Amybot, and people who know spectral exists

2 Likes

The AI still plays me.

1 Like

I just started going down the list and seeing what options I get… Noticed quite a few bots can’t even play bigger boards, even limited to 7x7’s… After the amybotddk the next I could choose that played a 19x19 and correspondence is GNUv3.8.

1 Like

I was bored so I decided to play a bot. I don’t play bots often but I was inspired from this thread, and me not wanting to worry about playing in my 19x19 or lost correspondence games, that I will not timeout in because I am careful in that perspective, but I was going to play a bot. I originally wanted to play amybot beginner because that is the only bot I remembered, but I couldn’t play a ranked game because it was a 25k and I was a 13k. I then moved on to amybot ddk. I went 0-4 and then won the last game by resignation that I thought I had lost until they played somewhere. I moved down to a 16k and then back up to a 15k. Is this because I
A. Suck at playing people my rank
B. Had an overinflated rank
C. Playing bots is harder than people
I can personally see all of them being true. A because I am in many tournaments and I can beat people sometimes but I still lose most of the games in tournaments. This can be many factors including the fact that I mainly play 9x9, which shouldn’t matter here unless this bot is very good at 9x9, or that tournaments have a wide rank gap meaning that sometimes I will play some 1d or other times I could play someone closer in rank to me. B could also be true because I beat someone I should’ve lost to today and I have recently received some timeout wins in tournaments because things come up or they forget about the game and timeout. At one point I went up one or two ranks after two timeout wins in a tournament. That just leaves option C. Is playing bots harder than playing humans? I don’t know an easy way to find out so I will just give some numbers. In the month of February, I played 200 ranked games, all against humans. I had 88 wins and 112 losses(for the sake of this math, I am rounding this to 80 wins, 120 losses). That would give me a 2:3 ratio or for every 5 games played I had two wins and three losses. My record against bots starting on February 4th(it turns out I played ranked games against bots in Feb) is 2-7. For every 9 games played against bots I get two wins. Is there a reason for this, or is it just that playing bots is harder and different then playing against people and I am just not good at playing them.

Yeah it’s harder. They just compute moves faster, ya know? They can go through a dozen or more variations by the time I go through one. I just started beating the ddk amybot and wanted to work my way down. GNUGO3.8 is def a step up from amy. I doubt I’ll win my first game with it.

At this point I’m checking on my computer so often that I can keep up with the games no prob and figured I’d try to annoy myself with bots that take constant advantage of my lowly mistakes.

1 Like

GNUGO3.8 is def a step up from amy

OGS lists five bots between amybot-ddk and GnuGo-v3.8.

• Budgie
  • teresa.c
  • Spectral-13k
  • AI2GO_BOT
  • ai2go
1 Like

GnuGo was the next homie that accepted a correspondence game with the rank restriction. GnuGo is definitely making me face palm and pull my hair out, but in a good way.

2 Likes