Diplomatic Go šŸ—” The Second Game

I would like to found a Double Digit Kyute alliance. IIRC, at least two other players also fall into this category, right? Letā€™s be the underdogs everybody roots for! Iā€™m 13k, 'fess up yā€™all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To quote Artaphernesā€™ remark to Histiaios: You made that shoe, but Aristagoras had to wear it.

2 Likes

24k atm.

Ive gone down recently from mostly random losing

2 Likes

25k, Eternal TPK.

2 Likes

around 10k, in reality probably less (or more?) because I won against dans in timeout.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about bringing up go ranks here, especially the thought of creating an alliance based on ranks. When discussing the more intricate details of the rules in a diplomatic game, yebellz wrote

Although I cannot completely prevent it, I am trying not to let factors outside the game influence my decisions, and go ranks fall into that category.

On the other hand I donā€™t want to be a fun killer, and I assume nobody can view the game in a completely isolated way anyway. I would rather not announce it publicly, but if you want to know my go rank, you can check on my OGS profile page.

6 Likes

I think itā€™s impossible to completely remove bias, but we should try.

Further, I think that Go skill is only a small part of Diplomatic Go skill. In fact, I think that negotiation and communication skills are far more important than the rest.

6 Likes

In the absence of a move submission from @Maharani, Round 7 will be extended 24 hours.

The new deadline is 2020-10-17T20:00:00Z.

5 Likes

Sorry yā€™all, real life got busy for a hot minute.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try to remain peaceful as long as possible. Iā€™m playing at H5. (No rule against announcing my move here, right?)

3 Likes

Of course not! Depending on the situation, other players may use that information against youā€¦ but then you might also be bluffing. So thereā€™s some interesting strategic uses of announcing moves.

3 Likes

End of Round 7

image @martin3141 collided with their first move at C4 with a preexisting stone, and with their second move at D2 with the first stone placed by image @PiggyStardust, but succeeded in placing their third choice of E2. Other than that, all players succeeded in playing their first choice.

As the only group without liberties, image @Sanoniusā€™ group at D3 is removed from the board.

Any player with no stones on the board is eliminated at the start of Round 8. Since all players enter round 8 with stones on the board, nobody is eliminated.

Player 1st
move
2nd
move
3rd
move
image @le_4TC N10
image @PiggyStardust D2
image @martin3141 C4 D2 E2
image @Gia K8
image @Sanonius L2
image @Haze_with_a_Z K6
image @yebellz G4
image @Maharani H5

Round 8

In order not to be eliminated at the start of next round, a player needs 1 or more stones on the board.

Round 8 starts with the following position.

Editable demo board

Please submit your next moves before 2020-10-18T20:00:00Z

Current number of stones per player:

6 Likes

Exciting with such an early big capture! If we had gone with the original N/2-rule I proposed, pink would already be eliminated here. I think this is a good argument for N/2 - 3 being better, since pink still has a promising position in the lower right.

Hm, isnā€™t the requirement for next round still only 1 stone? (8/2 - 3 = 1)

5 Likes

Yes, youā€™re right, players with less than 1 stone will be eliminated, hence players need 1 stone or more to survive the next round.

Iā€™m not very good with numbers

7 Likes

When you made the previous post about needing at least one stone after 7 rounds, I was somehow completely convinced that you had made a mistake, and it was not until I started writing the message explaining why that was wrong that I realized that it was completely correct :stuck_out_tongue:

(point being, N/2 - 3 is deceptively confusing)

2 Likes

It caught me by surprise as well. I was planning on announcing it in round 5 if I had known it was a thing by then.

The confusing thing is that the start of round 7 is immediately after round 6 ends, thus the moves done during round 6 are actually the ones that affect the count at the start of round 7.

2 Likes

Yeah, numbering the rounds gets potentially confusing. I like to think in terms of ā€œWhen I have placed N stones on the board in total, I must have at least N/2 - 3 stones still on the boardā€ (or to be technically correct, ā€œWhen Iā€™ve had N chances to place a stone on the boardā€¦ā€)

3 Likes

We could make it N/2 - 2.75, which also solves the confusion.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I think the more precise number might add about as much confusion as the ā€œless than/less than or equalā€ issue :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably it wonā€™t be a big problem from now on anyways, since the requirement increases very predictably: there are two rounds with a requirement of 1 stone, then two rounds with a requirement of 2 stones, etc.

2 Likes

My respect goes to @PiggyStardust for staying loyal to their friend @martin3141 and helping him to keep bugcat and me out of that corner, even if they could have worked towards the top-left, leaving martin and me fighting it out. Well played. :handshake:

Now I wonder what advantage @yebellz is looking for down here and what strange deal him and Piggy have about that top-left corner.

6 Likes