Diplomatic Go

So, we are with 5 now

When shall we start the game? Tonight?

I like the colors @李建澔2 suggested:

But it seems that this is horrible for green/red colourblindness, according to that site. The following might be better:

4 Likes

May I suggest:
A little drawing or symbol for each color (chosen by the owner) would add some charm (dagger, eye, whatever…)

4 Likes

Ok, I can start whenever, but I just want to confirm with everyone that they are ready. I earlier suggested Monday night. @Vsotvep, I’m assuming that the 24 hour timing scheme works for you?

I also want to get further confirmation from @Musichascolors about whether everything works for them.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m fine with 24 hours

4 Likes

Can I join? This is a little late, but oh well.

3 Likes

Sure you can play, @HHG. Does 24 hour turns work for you?

It might anyways turn out to only be five, including you, if I don’t hear back from @Musichascolors.

2 Likes

Yup.

2 Likes

Here is a palette that is designed for colorblindness:

4 Likes

Let’s start the game on 2020-08-11T00:00:00Z

When it is time, I will create a new game thread to officially kick off the game.

Please don’t start negotiations until then.

However, let’s use the remaining time until the game starts (about 24 hours from now), to resolve any possible remaining issues about the rules, procedures, etc.

I have updated the rules in the first post to reflect the most significant change, which is the use of 24 hour rounds. There is some flexibility, as each player is given 3 “extra days” for automatically postponing the deadline by 24 hours if they miss the normal deadline. However, they only have 3 of these to use over the course of the entire game. Any postponed deadlines will be publicly announced, and all players may still negotiate and change their moves during such extensions.

All communication for this game should happen via the forums, in the game thread (for public discussion) and in one-on-one PMs (for private discussion).

Our Players

We have 5 confirmed players:

1. @le_4TC - red (see C7 below)
  2. @Vsotvep - blue (see C6 below)
  3. @Haze_with_a_Z - black (see C5 below)
  4. @李建澔2 - yellow (see C4 below)
  5. @HHG - white (see C3 below)

Color Scheme

Here is an updated color scheme proposal, based on the colorblind-friendly palette (shown in the top-row) mentioned in my previous post.

colors3

Please let me know if there are any color issues or suggestions. We can substitute any problematic color(s) with some of the alternates shown in the 9th (top) row.

4 Likes

I greatly approve of this color choice, crystal clear :smiley:

A small rule clarification: The rules state that you may change your move up until the (possibly extended) deadline, does this also include withdrawing your move completely (to use up an extra day)? The analogy would be placing a stone on the board, deciding that you actually need more time to think, and picking it back up to use another byo-yomi period. I think it’s logical to allow this, but wanted to make sure that everyone agrees.

4 Likes

Those colours looks like a modified version of the colours I chose.
I just found another one which looks kinda nice that we can use for the next game.

(it is just a theme so colors that are there should be changed)

1 Like

This would be okay with me. That is, a player may choose to intentionally use a “extra day” to postpone the deadline (even if they have already submitted a move) by informing the arbiter (via the private PM) before the normal deadline. Note: the deadline in each round may only be postponed once.

If there are no strong objections from others, I will add it to the rules.

Another note: a player may (but does not have to) publicly announce that they intend to use an extra day, but that is not binding and not official. That is, they must also withdraw their move (by PMing me) or fail to ever submit one in the first place. If the round is extended, I will publicly announce which player(s) are docked an extra day, but not elaborate further.

Once a player actually misses a move (by missing an extended deadline, or missing the normal deadline after running out of extra days), I will let everyone know that the player has gone absent. If I do not get indication from that player that they intend to continue playing, I will seek a replacement player for their position. If they continue to miss turns, their moves will count as passes, and I will assume that they vote for resign and for any draw that excludes themselves. Basically, starting after the second consecutive missed move, they are temporarily eliminated (for the sake of resign/draw voting), but with their stones remaining on the board, such that a replacement player may join to take over their position. With significant reassurances, I may also choose to allow the absentee player to resume their participation. Hopefully, we won’t have to use these procedures, but I just wanted to make it clear.

2 Likes

Oh, that is an important note about postponing! Since I was considering it like byo-yomi I assumed you could use up all your extra days at once, but thinking about it more I definitely see the advantages of limiting it, so that each round takes at most 48h.

3 Likes

The latest color scheme that I suggested is directly based on a colorblind-friendly color palette that I mentioned here: Diplomatic Go (variant)

Vsotvep suggested a helpful tool above: https://www.toptal.com/designers/colorfilter/

I think ensuring that the color scheme maintains sufficient contrast and is colorblind compatible should be prioritized over other aesthetic concerns. So, I selected red, blue, yellow, white, and black, since those seemed to provide the best contrast under various colorblind-simulation filters.

1 Like

we need some different colors for different variants so let’s share some here.Please note that some people are color blind so also find some for color blind people.

Also in some trust levels u can only upload a photo a post.

I still vote that green is the best(although some shades of blue are also really nice). Also why do some places say “colour” and some places say “color”? What is the difference?

1 Like

I’m not sure if we really need a lot of colour palettes (one A, one L, two E’s, two T’s). We’ve established a good one already.

“color” is the standard way to spell in the US, since the US adapted some spelling simplifications that the rest of the world didn’t, mostly due to Noah Webster, who made a dictionary…

Other differences include “realize” versus “realise” (although it depends, both -ize and -ise are considered correct in British English), “canceled” versus “cancelled”, “offense” versus “offence” and “center” versus “centre”

5 Likes

Something not very clear or specified: in the step of playing/resolving the moves, it should be kind of public with complete announcement of what each player committed to play, not just the arbiter doing it alone and give the result. It works like this in the diplomacy board game, and it seems important for the diplomatic aspect to precise how it goes.
I keep watching even if not playing, I hope this pilot to run well and be able to join in a next game :wink:
I guess I ll have to wait a while, because a good long break after a game with trust and betrayal is quite common :grimacing:

2 Likes

both -ize and -ise are considered correct in British English

Not quite true. -ize is just a spelling used by Oxford University and some other British organisations in their publications.

From Wikipedia:

Oxford spelling uses the suffix ‑ize … favoured on etymological grounds, in that ‑ize corresponds more closely to the Greek ‑izo, of most ‑ize verbs.

ie. it’s only that the same sort of people who put the l back in salmon are still at it.

4 Likes

I know, what I meant to say, is that in British publications, you’ll find both -ise and -ize. Some consider one the proper way, others consider the other the proper way. Hence both are considered correct in British English, depending* on the editor being asked.

*Another one! In the U.S. dependent can be both an adjective and a noun, outside of the U.S. the adective is dependent, and the noun is a dependant.

3 Likes