Divination and go matches

Hello everyone, I use a translator, so I apologize in advance for the English.

I want to find people who are interested in the topic of predictions, and especially on the topic of our wonderful game. Suddenly, there are people using tarot, i-ching and other things. I would like to meet you!

I myself practice i-ching, it turns out to predict the outcome of the game quite well. Perhaps you saw my messages about the outcome of white or black in your games :slight_smile: Regarding the percentage of hits, it is about 80%, I strive for perfect mastery, but so far I am only learning, so mistakes happen.

For those who are interested, I am not against demonstrating my skills, I play badly (±16k), I predict much better xD In any case, it is free, if you are interested, write, I will be glad to tell fortunes , or play, chat (in broken English, sorry) )

You try to predict the outcome of games? What do you need to know to do that?

I need the start date of the match, or the question itself, which is of interest.

As for questions, there can be different ones. You can ask which color will win, or, for example, will I win the next game, and so on.

To be clear, I’m not one of those people. I’d be more interested in testing your 80 % claim. I don’t know if that’s something you’d be open to.

1 Like

If you are interested, we can try. I am not against the challenge. It remains to decide which games we will guess.

1. the outcome of your game,
  2. the outcome of my game
  3. the outcome of other people’s random games

I think the 3rd option is the most interesting, since it does not depend on us at all. and will allow to demonstrate skill more qualitatively “without impurities”.

2 Likes

I agree, random games not involving us would be best.

How many games would you be comfortable with doing? Is predicting 20 games too much work for you?

I am sorry to say that if you can predict game outcomes even with anything approaching 50% accuracy (let alone 80%), you’d be wasting your time and talent here. Instead, you could enroll to any online betting company of your liking and never have to work another day in your life :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think 20 games is fine. But not in one day.
If you stretch them out in time, say by predicting 1-3 games a day, then it’s quite convenient.

And I’ll warn you, you need a separate question for each game. The same template question for 20 games is not worth it.

heh. I’ll be honest, I tried myself in sports predictions. It’s much more difficult there, since there is no division into “black” and “white”, the percentage of hits was lower, so I decided to practice first where it is easier with colors, I love weiqi, that’s why I chose this game. and then I plan to move on to more difficult ones, up to fortune telling on deeds and so on. :ghost:

I am pretty certain that there is a lot of chess and Go gambling going around.

I haven’t come across any Internet resources, and before searching by location… no. Alas, money is not so interesting. I am worried that there are fewer and fewer people of my art. And in the world my craft is considered “prejudices” and “a relic of the past”

Thank you for joining the discussion.

Okay, nothing wrong with having a challenge for me too. But 20 “black or white” questions, right? My goal will be to pick questions that are hard to predict (obviously), so close to 50 % chance for both colors.

oh. this is wonderful! I love such games. Yes, please write them more diversely. the essence can be one. It will simply be more convenient for me, if you wish, you can write like this.
I mean for example-

• Will the whites win?
  • Are the whites going to win?
  • Will the whites have the victory?
    etc.

Philip K. Dick famously wrote his award-winning novel, The Man in the High Castle, by using the I Ching. When it told him he was done, he was surprised, but he stopped, which is why it has an odd ending.

4 Likes
1 Like

Oh, I see, that should be easier than.

How should we select the games? One option would be to define a certain game ID that is about to come up on OGS on the next day and then pick the first game after it that fits certain criteria (like a game with no rank difference or an appropriate handicap for the rank difference).

And then I’d like to talk about your possible result. I expect you not to be able to predict significantly more than 50 % in general, but with 20 games, there’s still some room for luck. If you get 15 out of 20 predictions right, I’ll be impressed, even though you could’ve just been lucky. On the other hand, if you get something from 10 to 14 right, you might have just been unlucky, so that wouldn’t disprove that you can do 80 % in general.

I think it’s better to choose long games, since I may not have time to predict, especially if it’s a 9x9 match.
and if it’s 19x19, we just need to choose a time when we’ll both be online, you can choose the game yourself, you don’t have to show it to me. and ask a question. And I’ll try not to drag it out and answer right away (it will take about 7 minutes in the worst case, taking into account writing a response message and the fortune-telling process itself). Well, after the end of the game, if you want, you can show the result of the game.
You can try today, if you want.

Regarding the percentage of hits, we’ll see how it goes further. If 20 games are not enough for normal statistics (since simple luck can work, I understand) or you want to tell fortunes some more, I won’t mind practicing.
Well, if I’m destined to fail… well, at least you’ll have fun :skull_and_crossbones: :smile:

1 Like

I’m not an expert on the I Ching, let alone a Sinologue, but I’m afraid this undertaking is a misuse of the book. I have read Jung’s essay on the subject and the translator’s notes and introduction to the fine edition that I own, and as I understand it, the I Ching is not a predictive device. Although its origin does lie in yes/no oracles, its trigrams soon developed into a representation of continual transition—the universe in flux. It was treated by Confucius and others as a book of wisdom, comparable to the Bible books of wisdom (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, etc.). Its proper use is to answer qualitative questions, “Should I do this or should I do that?” or “Why am I troubled by…?” not questions like “Is Joe Seki going to win his go game?"

The answers themselves consist of hexagrams that require pages of explanation, and consequently interpretation by the user. (If you want to ask a yes/no question that predicts the future, consult a Ouija Board or a Magic Eight-Ball.)

The I Ching provokes deeper thought about a question as the user contemplates the answer, and this in turn evokes insights and feeling that users may not have known they had. This is, I think, the modern understanding of it, and I can confirm it from personal experience. In my youth, I dabbled in it out of curiosity (it was quite a fad of the Hippies in the 1960s and for some time after), and I found the results surprisingly useful. However, I left it alone thereafter, as I think it can also induce an unhealthy obsession and dependence.

I am writing this post because the I Ching is a wise, finely written book that I respect. I think it is remarkably good at what it does (as described), and I think it would be sad if it were dismissed out of hand, as if it were just another silly divination device like those I mentioned above.

4 Likes

:skull: :skull:oh, that’s a very rough description. As for Jung and other modern figures, I’m not specifically interested. I prefer ancient Chinese treatises to modern works. They have much more substance per word.

And again, if anything, there are many schools in the I Ching, starting from the mantic-oriented school and schools of philosophy. One develops the fortune-telling function, the other perceives the book as a philosophical guide. And these schools have branches. This is where readings into the text of the book belong. I just practice a purely mantic direction, according to Shao Yun, a Song fortuneteller. In the description of his fortune-telling, questions were asked about the place of residence, marriage and other ordinary things. Up until he predicted that his neighbor wanted to borrow something from him at night, without specifically asking what kind of thing it was.
And a separate chapter in the treatise, which relates to guessing an object hidden in the hand. This is the purely predictive side of the I Ching.
The same author has a treatise on the philosophical direction, but to understand it at least a little, you need to really master the changes. Otherwise, it’s just a bunch of words.

Since I am interested in predictions, I choose a school that can satisfy my demand. And this does not mean that I see in the I Ching only a tool, and in no way do I consider it stupid, this is outrageous. Since everyone sees in the I Ching a “mysterious text with a special philosophy” similar to the “Tao Te Ching” and this is bad.

For the sake of transparency, I’d like to provide some verification method that prevents me from changing the game after your predictions is announced.

I could provide a hash value of the game ID, but there aren’t that many ongoing games on OGS, so one could just calculate hash values for all games and find out the game. I have to think about that for a bit.

2 Likes