Euro 2020

You sure? My football senses tell my that the goalkeeper was going for the ball, and deflected it before touching opponent, and the rest is unfortunate collision. I’ve seen field players jumping for the ball and colliding their heads, and that’s often considered a fair play. And generally with tackles it’s considered if you touched the ball first, you’re right. Here the difference is that goalkeeper can also use arms. And the ball already went somewhere else, so it’s not like goalkeeper stopped a goal with a foul. He touched the field player after deflecting ball already, so reds didn’t lose a moment. So I don’t see it as penalty.

In game it was yellow card + penalty.

As a compensation referee awarded a penalty to the other side for an iffy moment too.

1 Like

These are common misconceptions about the rules. While it’s true that not having a play on the ball will cause otherwise legal actions to become fouls, the simple fact of playing the ball or having a play on the ball does not absolve players of their actions. I should note that I am a ref (albeit low-level) and the “but they got the ball!” shout from fans is a common joke amongst referees from grassroots to professional (I don’t know any FIFA refs so I can’t attest to whether or not they also joke about this misconception.)

The laws of the game only care about whether the challenge was careless (foul), reckless (caution) or used excessive force (send-off).

In this case, the fact that the keeper was making a play on the ball absolves him of Violent Conduct, a sending-off offense. However, it doesn’t necessarily absolve him of a Serious Foul Play send-off. Looking again, I would agree that a red would probably be excessively harsh here, but a caution for Unsporting Behavior seems reasonable to me. Players are ultimately responsible for their actions, and this looks like it at least meets the IFAB standard for reckless.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

4 Likes

Neymar and his teammates are all good at nothing but simulation. Mbappe is a head taller than the defense and way stronger and faster, then falls like being hit by a truck. :rofl:

1 Like
3 Likes

Even my daughter and her friends, then at high school, who did not care at all about this game, were aware of this video. :joy:

3 Likes
1 Like

Wales vs Denmark today, about to start. I think I’m gonna root for Denmark, they have some spirit.

1 Like

Denmark leading 1-0, was close to making it 2-0 ^___^

Yeah i’m cheering for danes too, i really hope they can do well after what happened for Eriksen ;___;

1 Like

That was unfortunate second goal. It seems the game is somewhat calm, one-sided.

1 Like

W does not even try

1 Like

boring game, kick both out

1 Like

Nice shot

1 Like

I am ready to watch

Red card

I hate video ref

Ru kidding me, just went to restroom, missed the goal

Dutch fans go silence

Two mediocre teams

in an hour, should be exciting, big fans of stars on both sides.

Belgium vs Portugal, who is also watching?

The goalie played a pass at move 25, lol

That was quite crazy. Croatia was losing 1-3, but then scored this beauty:

Streamwo - Simple video hosting & sharing

I think very few people figured out what was happening in the moment, but the goal line technology saves us once again. You can see ref pointing to the watch, meaning that the watch signaled goal.

And then Croatia scored at 90’+2’! 3-3! Now it’s extra time, I’m looking forward to it.

1 Like

France Switzerland is also 3-3 after main time, and also gonna go to the extra time. And also after one side was winning 3-1, right. Wild evening, although after rooting for previous match, I have no stamina to care about this one.

1 Like