Experiment

Hi folks,

a few days ago I had the idea of setting up a certain challenge. I want to play 2 rated correspondence games (19x19), where I try to annotate (nearly) every move I make with a principle I take from one of the books listed below. Also my decisions during the games will be mostly based on these written principles. In other words: I will actively search for principles in the books which might be applicable before doing a move. In case two or more principles compete or lead to different moves I have to choose and justify. For the documentation I want to use the Malkovich function.

I wonā€™t use neither a game databases nor fuseki/joseki dictionaries (like the tools you find in SmartGo or online). Opponents are allowed to use whatever they want.

There are two ideas behind it: Obviously I want to learn and practice Go principles for live games. In addition I want to see how useful it is for a DDK to rely mainly on these principles in a game, where principles help a lot and where they may lead to a wrong decision. Iā€™d like to review the game afterwards with my opponent(s). Ideally a much stronger player will also do a review.

The books I use:

1. Fundamental Principles of Go (Yilun Yang)
  2. First Fundamentals (Robert Jasiek)
  3. Encyclopedia of Go Principles (Richard Bozulich)
  4. Joseki Vol 1 Fundamentals (Robert Jasiek)

and perhaps (havenā€™t bought it yet)

1. Endgame Vol 1 Fundamentals (Robert Jasiek)

Who wantā€™s to join me in this experiment?

Ciao

acepoint

PS. My rank here is 14k overall (mostly blitz or live 9x9 games), 16k in correspondence games (only 19x19). Unfortunately I won around 2/3 of the correspondence games on time, so the rank is probably not that meaningful.

4 Likes

Very interesting idea, @acepoint!

Iā€™m around 11ā€“10k (OGS correspondence exclusively for the past two or so years) and I also like to use the Malkovich log for variations (for edutainment for my opponents and other viewers as well as for plain entertainment when I blundered :joy: ), and if youā€™re willing to play a slooooooooow corr. game with me, Iā€™d happily join. (I have a weird work schedule and easily stress out if the time gets short on my games.)
For example, like this:

• Fischer timing
  • max. ~2 weeks (more if you like)
  • ~18 hrs per move (more if you like

I have read #1 and much of #2 (and I like Jasiekā€™s books a LOT) but, TBH, can hardly remember anything consciously :smiley:

Greetings, Tom

<edit>
Disclaimer:
I also wonā€™t be able to state any ā€œprinciplesā€ myself since I mainly play ā€œgutā€ moves, and OK, sometimes I will write something about those ā€œbowel movementsā€, but I cannot promise Iā€™ll do so for every move.
</edit>

I can play correspondence. Iā€™m probably a little stronger than 9k. I can try to play this one fast.

1 Like

Iā€™m about 12k in correspondence and would be happy to play in this as long as I only have to make my normal move and not also find a principle-based move. It sounds like a great project, but I donā€™t have the time to do more than just play right now.

1 Like

@trohde, @S_Alexander, @Traveller: Great! Do you have the same nicks in OGS? I will then set up challenges for all of you.

[edit] ok, found you and already sent the challenges.

Anyone else wants to join? I just decided to make it four games (2 white and 2 black).

Ciao

acepoint

1 Like

[Edit] link to the 4th game added

So far three games have been started. You all are welcome to read the particular Malkovich logs and shred me in the spectators chat :wink:

Ciao

acepoint

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun idea! Iā€™m 15K overall here (mostly live games). If you think that fits for your challenge , send me a request.

Are you making the comments visible for the other player or as ā€˜malkovich logā€™?

1 Like

You are in ;-). I put the comments into the Malkovich log (see my message above).

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a (quick) look at the first game, and it seems like this wll be a valuable resource for me, at least for opening! Thanks for setting this up!

Iā€™ve nothing to do anyway) and though your understanding of Go is obviously deeper than mine (considering our previous games), Iā€™d like to participate. You can challenge me if you want)

2 Likes

If acepoint is too busy with his games already running, Iā€™d be available for a game with comments as well. I just noticed, that note taking is way harder than I thought but itā€™s a fun experiment.
Itā€™s quite hard to make comments/predictions that are still true a few moves later.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be nice. I am pretty busy at the moment, and you are right, this experiment is time consuming.

If I find some spare time later, Iā€™ll do a short summary of my first impressions on this experiment, because apart from one game the opening phase is more or less finished.

1 Like

OK. @11117 then just send me a challenge the way youā€™d like to play, with handicap or without, but please correspondence with at least 1 day+ per move. Cheers

Aargh aargh aargh ā€¦ thatā€™s probably me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: made a BIG mistake in the upper left corner and now must see how I can make up for that ā€¦

@throde Donā€™t bother ;-), no time pressure.

After the pure opening phase is finished (we are between move 25 and 39 in the games), itā€™s time now for some early conclusions:

1. In all four games following certain proverbs or opening principles helped a lot and more than I thought before.
  2. In addition to the books I found this opening theory seminar for beginners by Nick Sibicky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvB5Yns4JwY) which gave me also very valuable insights.
  3. Nonetheless I had a few situations, where I caught myself at first choosing a move and then looking for an appropriate principle. This is also a common behavior in chess, e.g. there is a famous book with the provoking title Ā»Move first, think laterĀ«.
  4. There were only two or three situations where I had to do some concrete Ā»readingĀ«.
  5. The knowledge of a basic joseki (First Fundamentals, Jasiek) helped me to exploit a mistake my opponent made.

I donā€™t know how experts are judging the current positions. Iā€™m sure I still made a lot of moves which Dan-players and pros would call a mistake. But I felt comfortable during the opening phase and also think that I reached more or less decent positions without making heavy blunders. The least I can say is that all these opening principles are now embedded in my memory.

Now itā€™s getting more difficult. I need to make middle game plans, but finding and following general principles isnā€™t that easy anymore. I decided to lean on principles of making good shapes, on principles regarding the status of groups and some defending/attacking principles. I also put another book into my list: Fighting Fundamentals, Jasiek.

Ciao

acepoint

3 Likes

trohde seems to be out already as well :open_mouth:
quite succesful experiment so far Iā€™d say. Iā€™m curious to see some reviews afterwards.

edit: malkovich log question: how do you add variations to the malkovich log? I Havenā€™t figured that one out yetā€¦

Thanks, Iā€™ll try that

Hi,

yes, there is one game finished, very early, after only 34 moves. Throde seemed to be pretty frustrated after he misplayed(?!) a basic joseki. You can take a look at the Malkovich logs in https://online-go.com/game/5280268. Though the game was far from over I think. But he then Ā»investedĀ« a few more stones in the same corner which I didnā€™t understand.

Honestly speaking, I donā€™t know, how good I am. I started playing and studying seriously in March, but I have a lot of experience in other board games. And I read a lot of Go literature at the moment. At http://play.baduk.org there is a test which I finished 11k a few days ago.

1 Like

Iā€™m playing this like I play all the games on this site: I play as long as I am winning or have something to learn.

Iā€™ll come back and review the Malkovich logs after the game is over.

I considered adding my own Malkovich entries, but I really donā€™t have the time to make that very useful.