Exploring other board games -- a challenge

I’m about 1500 on lichess classical, but we could play some games. I’d be up for xiangqi; I’ve only ever played a couple of times with family, so I’m a complete beginner at that. Do you know a good site to play it on? Boardgamearena would be easiest for me, but I can make an account somewhere else if you know a good server.

If we’re both beginners at xiangqi anyway, perhaps we should try a new game that’s not chess-like.

Want to try Bao la Kiswahili? I think the hardest part will be finding a place to play online.

kibao.org is set up for correspondence only as far as I can tell, but I don’t know of any other options. We can probably make it work, though.

Sounds comfy.

Do you want to do voice chat or something so we can tell eachother when we’ve moved?

It wouldn’t just appear on the UI?

Maybe; it’s been a few years since I played, and the website looks dated, so I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it.

I notice Attorante typing. Perhaps he has a suggestion and we can play a triangular tournament of something.

Gomoku could be a good choice, since the rules are very simple.

Another idea is three-player Quoridor.

1 Like

Probably a typical Dutch board game: the H-ring game aka ringbiljart.
We had one at home. Loved it. Don’t know what happened with it, will ask my packrat sister if she has it somewhere :innocent:

By the way in the corner you see a sjoelbak (untranslatable).

3 Likes

@Atorrante Would you like to play Quoridor with us?

What is that?

1 Like

I’ve never played, though I saw a bit of a mindsports olympiad match. Didn’t catch my fancy, but I’ll give it a go; maybe it will be more interesting with more than 2 players.

No thanks. Nearly bedtime and I do need my beauty sleep badly :grin:

Oh, OK…

Is this you?

Probably, I haven’t played for a year or so.

1 Like

Cool; I’m Samraku there if you want to challenge.

Quoridor or gomoku? Or something else?

I don’t think I could get used to a goban being used for gomoku. I haven’t played most of the games on boardgamearena, though, so whatever you’re interested in.

Otherwise we could get in Skype or Google Hangouts and play Bao.