Exploring other board games -- a challenge

Would you like to try Amazons?

1 Like

Sure; I’ve only played a few games of that. Do you know of a good place to play it? Nevermind; I checked the OP. Littlegolem?

I’ll make an account.

1 Like

Want to pm me when you have and I can send an invitation to play?

Even made my own board.

1 Like
1 Like

Would anyone like to play YotΓ© tonight?

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Have you played any games on that site before?

Nope.

Hopefully it works more smoothly then little golem did. :smiley:

I thought I’d make an update of my progress.

I’ve played twenty games of Arimaa so far, a mixture of even and handicap games against humans and weak bots. I’ve still yet to beat a human opponent even at very high handicap, but I’ve defeated a couple of bots.

Amazons I haven’t returned to after playing a couple of games with Samraku, but it’d be nice to try it out again another time.

Right now I’m studying chu shogi with the Let’s Play Chu Shogi youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwc5tlCkwmk&list=PLs0Ze9hCo4437C5qoCXakg2I7HZw6-AOH

I’d still be interested in playing some xiangqi, as I do have a few games’ experience.

How have the β€œludial adventures” of our other posters been going?

2 Likes

Turns out that the guy who created the Let’s Play Chu Shogi series, FortNikitaBullion, also made some tutorials for other abstract games.

This is the playlist of Let’s Play Chinese Dark Chess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Kt9SVrZQk&list=PLs0Ze9hCo440SPxQdl4B0YuqYkwRL-mgY

1 Like

If you’re willing to just play in a forum pm thread so we don’t have to deal with trying to use correspondence servers to play games live, the possibilities could open up. I’d be interested in some binary (1v1) homeworlds. We would just have to post our moves in our pm and play it in front of ourselves. If you’re familiar with the 4X genre of games, it’s like an abstract version of that genre. It’s officially played with Icehouse Pyramids (Looney Pyramids), but one could make a set with printer paper, scissors, and four colors of marker:

• 9 red pieces
    • 3 small (1-pip)
      • Small square on one side
      • Small triangle pointing in a clear direction on the other.
    • 3 medium (2-pip)
      • Medium square on one side
      • Medium triangle pointing in a clear direction on the other.
    • 3 large (3-pip)
      • Large square on one side
      • Large triangle pointing in a clear direction on the other.

And repeat likewise for the 36 total pieces: 9 red of the three sizes, 9 green of the three sizes, 9 blue of the three sizes, and 9 yellow of the three sizes.

I’d also be interested in playing Bao la Kiswahili or YotΓ© this way.

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t know that game. Is there a guide to it anywhere?

By the way, in my search for chu shogi resources, I found this long article: https://drericsilverman.wordpress.com/2020/04/05/chu-shogi-part-i-how-to-play/

There’s also a β€œstandard reading” book, The Middle Shogi Manual, which I’d buy if I had the spare cash.

1 Like

I’ve played one or two games of chu shogi back when it was on 81dojo; but I couldn’t find anything in it which I preferred over normal shogi. I’d play a game or two with you if you found a (non-correspondence) site to play it on, though.

EDIT: Has anyone tried this site?

EDIT 2: Nevermind; apparently you can still play on 81dojo!

EDIT 3: Here’s some Homeworlds strategy.

EDIT 4: And here’s Andy’s page on Homeworlds including strategy and other fun info.

1 Like

β€œDespite this complexity, after playing Chu Shogi a few times, one begins to feel that each piece has its own personality, and that not one of the pieces could have been left out without harming the character and charm of the game. A game as large as Chu could easily have been dull and ponderous; instead, it is rich in tactics, deep in strategy, and exciting to play.”

–R. Wayne Schmittberger, Shogi Magazine, October 1986

The lion trade rule is a bit confusing in chu shogi. Dai shogi doesn’t have that rule, but you need a lot of time to play that game…

2 Likes

I’m come up with a five-star system of experience to aid game-matching.

Stars Games
β˜† x = 1
🟊 1 < x < 5
πŸŸŠβ˜† 5 <= x < 10
🟊🟊 10 <= x < 50
πŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜† 50 <= x < 100
🟊🟊🟊 100 <= x < 500
πŸŸŠπŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜† 500 <= x < 1,000
🟊🟊🟊🟊 1,000 <= x < 5,000
πŸŸŠπŸŸŠπŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜† 5,000 <= x < 10,000
🟊🟊🟊🟊🟊 10,000+

So, I can describe my current roster as:

Game Experience
Go 🟊🟊🟊🟊
Chess 🟊🟊🟊🟊
Amateur Scrabble 🟊🟊🟊
Classical Mahjong 🟊🟊
Arimaa 🟊🟊
Quoridor πŸŸŠβ˜†
Rummikub πŸŸŠβ˜†
Chess960 πŸŸŠβ˜†
Xiangqi 🟊
Amazons 🟊
Chu Shogi β˜†

If we all post a star list for ourselves, we can compile them into a table. That way, there’ll be no need to repeatedly ask one another our level of experience before matching.

Alphabetical wikipost: feel free to add yourself in a new column. It’s ok to make a guess.

Stars Games’ experience
β˜† x = 1
🟊 1 < x < 5
πŸŸŠβ˜† 5 <= x < 10
🟊🟊 10 <= x < 50
πŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜† 50 <= x < 100
🟊🟊🟊 100 <= x < 500
πŸŸŠπŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜† 500 <= x < 1,000
🟊🟊🟊🟊 1,000 <= x < 5,000
πŸŸŠπŸŸŠπŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜† 5,000 <= x < 10,000
🟊🟊🟊🟊🟊 10,000+
Game bugcat
Amazons 🟊
Arimaa 🟊🟊
Carcassonne β˜†
Chess 🟊🟊🟊🟊
Chess960 πŸŸŠβ˜†
Dominoes 🟊🟊
Draughts, English 🟊🟊
Go, 19x19 🟊🟊🟊🟊
Go, 13x13 🟊🟊
Go, 9x9 🟊🟊🟊
Gomoku πŸŸŠβ˜†
Mahjong, β€œMainland” 🟊🟊
Quoridor πŸŸŠβ˜†
Risk 🟊🟊
Rummikub πŸŸŠβ˜†
Rummy πŸŸŠπŸŸŠβ˜†
Scrabble, Amateur 🟊🟊🟊
Shogi, Chu β˜†
Trax πŸŸŠβ˜†
Xiangqi 🟊

Hopeful bump – add yourself to the wikitable!