Exploring other board games -- a challenge

Chance to get Tumbleweed on your game resume~

I haven’t seen this one mentioned in your thread: Go Memes! 🧐 - #2666 by Kosh. ie. Emergo.

2 Likes

I’ve always been looking for connect6 games… But it’s not very popular.
I’m also up for chess, xiangqi, renju/gomoku

1 Like

Also, Pente (a gomoku variant) and Jieqi (a Xiangqi variant) are interesting board games.

揭棋 - 维基百科,自由的百科全书 (Chinese and Vietnamese only)

1 Like

Feel free to challenge me for connnect6 on little golem (correspondence, https://www.littlegolem.net/). I’m using the same name there.

1 Like

Thanks for this heretical recommendation, @stone.defender.

Gess can be played on the hGess server, at https://gess.h3mm3.com/

1 Like

They had me until:
“The game object is to be the only player with a ring piece on the board”

At which point I figured it must just be an elaborate April Fool or some such…

1 Like

I added a couple of new games in the wiki in the first post. Adding this message to bump the topic.

4 Likes

The mysterious Nocca x Nocca:

(from the Go videos thread, with thanks to Alex)

I’m there (on the Little Golem Game Server), but I mostly play Toroidal-Go and 37x37-Go (since OGS only goes up to 25x25 and doesn’t have T-Go) :grimacing: - Now I just need to find a website to play Stratego! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Why would somone package the game Calico with a picture of a non-calico cat?!

This is the cat that should’ve been used:

2 Likes

Maybe it has already been mentioned, but this website is nice for implementing a bunch of games for free play

yucata.de

3 Likes

This is a little bit further afield than the mostly abstract games discussed in the thread so far…but since I’ve been playing it recently and you mentioned Yucata I thought of it (you can play this game on there)

Designed by Matt Calkins and published by GMT, Sekigahara is a two player historical wargame based on the conflict that culminated in the battle of the same name. Since many of the historical protagonists were Go players, or were somewhat influential in Go history, it might be of interest. :sweat_smile:

The rules are relatively lightweight for a historical wargame: the basic mechanics are that armies are represented by wooden blocks, which hide the details of their strength and clan associations. In battle you need to back up the blocks with cards with matching clans, representing the allegiance and loyalty of individual daimyo to your cause. You win by controlling more victory point locations at the end of the game, or getting a “checkmate” style instant victory by killing the opponent’s “king” block.

I’ve been playing it the past few weeks with a wargaming friend of mine and it was a great experience. After we got a handle on the rules and the implications we had a couple of games with some nail biting decision making.

It’s always disappointing when I feel like I make a decision in a board game and it doesn’t really matter (certainly rare in Go). In Sekigahara it feels like every card and block can make a difference.
The last game I played, my opponent was down by one victory point and we were one turn away from the end, but he knew where Tokugawa himself was on the map, so he launched one last attack hoping to get a decisive win. It didn’t turn out in his favor but it was probably his last hope and really did come down to who had the right cards for the climactic battle, so it was exciting.

Aside from Yucata the other options to play online are Tabletop simulator, which we found a bit fiddly, and Vassal. I found this video helpful to get up the speed on the rules. Also here’s an episode of the podcast Three moves ahead which covered it.

2 Likes

I mentioned this before, and whose who care already know, but we’ve reached the eleventh of the fourteen rounds of the Candidates Tournament of chess.

This is a double round robin with the aim of producing a challenger to incumbent World Champion Magnus Carlsen, who will face the winner in a match for the title.

1 Like

To quote @okonomichiyaki :

I learned about Rasputitsa from Nevsky , an absolutely fascinating wargame trying to depict medieval conflict at the operational level, meaning supplying your armies plays a crucial part. The game has rules for the seasons changing and suddenly your sleds which moved food so easily on frozen land are useless. The other big element is paying for the service of lords and vassals, who will leave after their contract is up if you don’t pay to extend it.

After getting back into Go, I suspect I will not spend as much time at the board game club playing games like this, but when I do I think Nevsky will be high in the list. It’s a game unlike any other I’ve played

To quote @pdg137 :

I thought some of you might be interested in this word game:

2 Likes

I’ll host a forum game of Anagrams if anyone wants to try!

I played a few games of Tash Kalar recently. It’s not really anything like Go but shares the general idea of placing pieces on a grid. There’s no rules about liberties leading to emergent properties, but it’s still fun. You have cards and play them to make specific shapes, which confer points and bonus actions like moving or destroying enemy pieces. The most interesting thing is the different modes: a couple of modes for two player, different rules for 3-4 player, and a 4 player team mode. In the three player game, you score points for opponent pieces destroyed by color, and at the end only the lower score counts. So you are incentivized to avoid ganging up on one other player, which I found interesting.

Shut Up And Sit Down covered it a long time ago:

I’ve played a few games of multiplayer Go with my friends (non Go players but enjoy contemporary board games) and find it strange, I think I would prefer something like Tash Kalar.

Anyone played Through The Desert? It’s apparently got some similarities to multiplayer Go…

edit: forgot to mention Tash Kalar has a pretty good implementation with s rules engine on Board Game Arena

1 Like

Random question… are audible countdowns unpopular or disliked or frowned upon in the chess world?

I played a few games of chess with my friend last night using chess.com and timed out a couple because I wasn’t looking at the clock. Was surprised I couldn’t find a setting for any noise or warning for low time in the app, still not convinced I’m just missing it buried somewhere

But then I found this someone made a browser plugin to implement it for lichess and I started wondering :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s awesome; I didn’t know someone had made that! I don’t play chess much, but I’ve got to get that working for when I do!

Discussion of “Keil”, a hexagonal Go variant, on L19