Exploring other board games -- a challenge

One of the most annoying games of my youth :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Arimaa World Championship browni3141 v. risteall in a little over two hours: 2021 World Championship. Their record against eachother this tournament is 1-1, so it should be a tense game.

1 Like

The 2020-21 World Chess Championship Candidates Tournament, a 13-round double round robin to determine a challenger to Magnus Carlsen in the upcoming World Chess Championship (to be played in November and December of this year, in Dubai) has been won by Ian Nepomniachtchi.

This is the first time that Nepomniatchi has won the Candidates; he will be Magnus Carlsen’s fourth challenger after Vishwanathan Anand (2014; defeated in 2013), Sergey Karjakin (2016), and Fabiano Caruana (2018).

1 Like

rating graph from chessgraphs.com

colour player DoB
red M. Carlsen 1990-11-30
green S. Karjakin 1990-01-12
blue F. Caruana 1992-07-30
black I. Nepomniachtchi 1990-06-14

Note that the top echelon of world chess is dominated by players around thirty years old, whereas Go is currently topped by much younger professionals.

There are also some interesting things to observe in the data.

1. Carlsen hasn’t been outrated since becoming World Champion.

2. Caruana came extremely close to outrating Carlsen, though, in late 2018.

3. Karajakin has been outrated by Caruana since 2013.

4. Karjakin has been outrated by Nepomniachtchi since 2018.

5. Nepomniachtchi’s rating has been in ascendance since 2018.

1 Like

@Sanonius Is there any sort of spectator chat where we can kibitz the Arimaa game?

If you log into The Arimaa Gameroom and click “chat” in the upper right, that’s the Arimaa.com chatroom. There will also likely be discussion on the Arimaa Discord Server.

EDIT: corrected “upper left” to “upper right”

1 Like

Hi! No idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woops. I meant Samraku, sorry ^^

2 Likes

This guy is streaming Tumbleweed.

Apparently it’s the 2021 championship final.

The streamer, Alek Erickson, is the one who made the thread Tumbleweed: this game weirdly reminds me of Go

I really like Abalone (the game, but the snails are tasty too). It’s like sumo wrestling but with marbles.

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about a cross-game tournament.

The rounds could be, for instance:

1. Chess960
  2. Amazons
  3. Shogi
  4. Tumbleweed
  5. Arimaa
  6. Random Gaps Pie Rule Go

Note how this configuration is ordered chess – non-ch. – chess – non-ch. – chess – non-ch.

4 Likes

A couple of years back I ran something like that on littlegolem, called it ‘Tour de Littlegolem’. You could participate in as many rounds as you wished and there were overall standings based on points won per stage. Was fun, drew quite a few people who played all games, but at some point organising it became too much of a burden (and a lost interest a bit).

1 Like

Hmm, if you, me, and Samraku are provisionally interested then I might make a dedicated thread later.

How about eight games and one round each week?

1 Like

I’d recommend lishogi for the shogi and lichess for the chess960.

1 Like

Don’t think this belongs in the “Playing Go in movies and TV shows” thread so will post it here

Spotted a goban on the background shelf in this learn to play video for Oath, the latest from Cole Wehrle, a somewhat famous designer of interesting historical and historical-inspired games

This channel doesn’t have much content but I’m always curious about any intersection of Go and the contemporary board game scene (like SUSD’s video last year)

3 Likes

You might find this interesting.

1 Like

Anyone play “Really bad chess”? I’ve been enjoying the rated mode there more than I have ever enjoyed normal chess. The premise is, asymmetric random material advantage/disadvantage, like 3 queens and 4 rooks to 5 bishops etc… that gets harder as your rank goes up. The AI never improves, always the same algorithm, just the setup will change

4 Likes

Any further ruminations on this? If you’re not sure if you want to commit to organizing an event around this, I’d love to just play this with you as a series of six scheduled games over the course of the next few weeks or something.

You’re two stones better than me at Go, a bit better at Amazons, and absurdly better at Arimaa.

I don’t know how good you are at chess, but I think it was more skilled than me (Lichess 1500-1600).

So, I think that if it were only us two you’d find it dull.