Fast Correspondence Tournaments

“Fast Correspondence – August 2018 (A)” isn’t gone yet, but we have 5 disqualified out of 10. All because of timeout.
Only one of the disqualified participants is member of “Fast Correspondence” group.

I wonder if a tournament for-members-only would have better results (less or no timeout).
Has this been tried before?

2 Likes

I think there’s a big difference between using +8hrs/move and +12hrs/move. My last tournament to finish only had one in ten resign and none disqualified for TO.

2 Likes

There’s a big difference also between 19x19 and 9x9, I guess. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the posts above, @TomDub gave the idea of increasing the maximum time to 7 days in order to make it work as a buffer and avoid excessive eliminations. Since this would not affect much the overall time per move of the game, I think this is a great idea. I would like to see it being tested.

3 Likes

But wait, there’s more…

and…

2 Likes

To find out how to play under Chinese rules follow the link below. (Don’t worry, there are no big differences :slight_smile: )

4 posts were split to a new topic as per request (let me know if you wanted it otherwise):
Differences between Japanese and Chinese scoring

2 Likes

They seem popular so…

1 Like

Continuing the “Out-of-Ten” series. :slight_smile: For November:

Nb: I typically run other “Fast Corresp. 9x9” during the month but I don’t post for each one. Check here: https://online-go.com/tournaments or here: https://online-go.com/group/2014

There’s also this for full size board lovers:

Nb. Unlike last month, the full size version uses Japanese Rules after persuasive arguments by GaJ.

3 Likes
1 Like

Hi there!
I see the “Create tournament” button in the group page. Is everybody allowed to do that?

I was thinking about a small tournament with rank restrictions.

1 Like

Yes. Any group member can create tournaments.

I would only add that if you are doing so from the ‘Fast Correspondence Group’ page then it should be a fast correspondence tournament.

4 Likes

I was thinking about few players (5 to 10), roundrobin, 1 round, SDK, fast paced.

I’m not planning to do it soon because on dec 31th will start “Beat the kyu, be a dan 2019” which I suscribed and is already SDK and fast. But for the future I’d like a tournament that takes only one round.

2 Likes

@lysnew how fast is beat the kyu, be a Dan ?

And maybe how fast can fast correspondence tournaments be expected to be in general? I find they are usually still pretty slow but maybe I have the wrong perspective. E.g Scorpio’s tournament started 7 weeks ago and has not yet finished the first round. Is this fast?

The “Fast Correspondence - $Month $Year ($Index)” tournaments usually end within 1 month (some games may take 2 moths) and they are only 1 round, so there will no further rounds starting at unexpected times.

4 Likes

“Fast” may have several meanings. :slight_smile:

Fast timesetting bring fast games, but the “zodiac” tournaments are double elimination, so they will take a long time to end (many rounds).

Also “beat the kyu” tournaments will take a long time to end (9 rounds). But the timesettings are quite fast for me:
2018 - Clock starts with 3 days and increments by 8 hours per move up to a maximum of 1 week
2019 - Clock starts with 3 days and increments by 12 hours per move up to a maximum of 1 week.

Here the “fast” is the time increment that means 2-3 moves per day at least.

I enjoyed very much “Really fast correspondence” tournament with Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 day main time, followed by 1 day per 10 stones. But many players did time out.

4 Likes

You are crazy man :smile:
The time-management in that tournament was more difficult then the actual games.
I had full day appointments on that weekends. On Friday nights I had to stop playing when I had 1 stone left in my byo-yomi period to play the last move in the morning (to not timeout over the day). The same from Saturday to Sunday.
And different timezones/online-times had their own difficulties. If your opponent got to bad an hour later, you lost 8 hours over night on your clock.

It was fun, but if you want to do other things but looking every hour on your phone for pending moves, …

3 Likes

I had actually some problem with taiwan players. :smiley:
Sleeping hours were an issue in that case.

I tried to replicate the timesettings in a slightly slower pace: 1 day main time, followed by 1 day per 5 stones.
Since I often check my phone for pending moves, it means for my opponent 3 to 5 moves per day.

Six challenges accepted:

• 2 annuled because opponent didn’t play a move
  • 1 TO after 8 moves
  • 3 TO after 72, 112 and 158 moves respectively

Sadly, people doesn’t pay much attention to timesettings when accepting a challenge.

I think now that building a good friends-list is a better way to have fast correspondence games.
Creating small tournaments could be a way to do so.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure, if it’s the correct thread to put my question in. Anyway…

Will there be tournaments like this one

in February? I do love them and the last couple of months the signing in for the first one started at the end of the previous month.

I don’t know how the official tournaments are set up, but I threw up an ad-hoc round robin in the group.

1 Like