Favorite or Most Useful Go Proverbs

I thought it would be cool, as well as a useful storage place of information, to share our favorite or most useful Go proverbs here. Personally I think they are both enlightening as well as exciting. It’s the promise of new tactics and strategies held within a single sentence.

So please, share the proverb(s) you love!

“Divide and Conquer”
Love it.
Splitting an opponent’s groups of stones apart is not only useful (necessary) but it brings with it a sort of sigh of relief. You can split apart stones in the opening that are on their own, or split apart battalions of enemy units just one stone away from joining together to form an unbeatable multi-eyed monster, and then feel better knowing the grand power that was almost within your opponent’s grasp is now gone.

5 Likes

My favorite proverbs are the following:

He who counts, he wins.

A rich man shouldn’t pick fights.

You don’t go fishing when your house is on fire.

A big dragon doesn’t die.

2 Likes

Go Hard or Go Home.

Urgent before big.

2 Likes

The game isn’t over until the stones are back in their bowls.

2 Likes

Don’t play near the strength

4 Likes

Not a traditional proverb, but I like Baduk Doctor’s “the value of stones is always changing”.

5 Likes

It doesn’t have to be traditional.

1 Like

When you have six groups, one is dead.

(Although, like many go proverbs, it doesn’t always hold. There is even a thread to showcase games where it didn’t hold: Share your games with 6+ groups)

5 Likes
  • Kill-All Go
    • White wins all ko
    • Black has all ladders
1 Like

Is that a proverb?

Cut first think later

4 Likes

I prefer the phrasing “CUT! …then read” :joy:

2 Likes

Or how about, “When in doubt, cut!”

When in doubt, tenuki

5 Likes

4 Likes

一碁一会
(Ichigo Ichie)

1 Like

French version is “quand tout foutu, couper quand meme” like “when all is fu**ed, still cut”

A favorite one between kibbitzers.

2 Likes

That’s the name of a restaurant 50m from my home! Probably not with that kanji though. What does it mean?

1 Like

Quand tout coupé, foutu quand même
(when all is cut, still fucked)

1 Like