Feature Request: Teaching mode

Well in theory teachers, people that make a living from teaching go. There’s some go schools/teachers that already use OGS for teaching purposes.

I think though if you want people to pay for it it has to be some decent package without a free and easy alternative. If people are happy with KGS teaching features as is, they probably won’t pay for some new OGS feature unless it was a lot better than the alternatives.

So in terms of real suggestions, if you wanted to monetise teaching features it would have to be some kind of package, think site supporters meets teacher privileges.

Throw in

• the current site supporter stuff except with a new badge/color etc for teachers
  • maybe create some place to share teaching resources privately. Imagine SGF library+, where you can store not only SGF library files for practice problems but maybe lots of other resources too. Maybe some customisable html pages to store links or embed videos where access can be toggled for new/finished students. OGS features could be probably be used more than they are, like the puzzles section could be used for tsumego packages in a similar way Leon Chen & xhu98’s books work eg. Planet (2021), my second tsumego book with Leon Chen 4p, now available on OGS Puzzles!
  • some extra chat/help section for teachers separate from the supporters chat. Probably access to some extra docs and things to help people get set up with teaching on OGS.
  • Probably would want a teachers section on the site, that lists the active teachers (assuming they wanted to be included), something to make them visible. Something like a “find me a teacher option”, or a request teachers review feature. Add in a feature where ordinary users can request reviews for their games, either from any available teacher, or a specific subset of teachers, and the games get added to a queue which the teachers can filter by whether they were requested specifically. I don’t know if this feature would want to be monetised in itself, or whether maybe it’s just a clean way for students to ask their current teachers to review a specific game, centralise all the game links.
  • Probably some extra list feature where teachers can add students to their list, (similar to friends lists maybe) where you can easily find your OGS students and their recent games, even ones that were requested for review in the previous bullet point.
  • profit

It should also be stuff that’s just on top of ordinary teaching features, like this teaching mode game that was being discussed, and probably Clossius’ live AI analysis with shared viewing, Interactive AI analysis is now available - #38 by Clossius1 since that seems to be teaching oriented. It would also be a useful way to teach people how to review their games with AI too, if they can watch someone either stronger, more used to doing it or both do a review with it.

TLDR+ disclaimer I don’t know if this is the direction the site would want to go in, or any of these are features people want. Just some ideas of what might be worth paying for.

6 Likes