Feature Suggestion: Smaller Fischer time increment

Chess is rapidly developing into an e-sport, which is mainly driven by very very fast games. I recently played some chess again and it’s actually fun to play with 1s or 2s increment.

Can we please get this kind of minimal increment in the Fischer settings as well?

3 Likes

It exists already. Set game to blitz and minimum Fischer settings are 5 seconds initial time + 1 second per move up to a maximum of 5 seconds.

Oh man! I would not want to play that fast. I struggle with 10 seconds per move!

7 Likes

Just be sure your connection is up to the task.

1 Like

Go is a lot harder to blitz than chess but equally entertaining

2 Likes

If this should be implemented, since you’re working on the Fischer clock anyway, could you also add an option to set the cap to »infinite« (or at least much higher than e. g. 1 h in live games)?

2 Likes

Nothing is getting worked on. As per the first reply in this thread;

3 Likes

Yes but if you want something doing you need to remind people at every opportunity.

It makes no sense that you can’t even have the full range of EGF Class A Fischer timed matches on OGS and one would hope the fix is trivial. Even if you can’t remove the Fischer max you could just make it higher than it is now.

2 Likes

I’m inclined to agree. Unfortunately, anoek doesn’t (I forget why exactly).

So, according to this open GitHub issue, anoek is closed to the idea of removing the cap, but is open to the idea of extending the cap beyond its current point, however there has apparently not been enough discussion about this to convince him it is sufficiently desired by the general community. So yeah I guess keep bitching about it making rational arguments for your case until he agrees to fix it :heart:

I’m disheartened to see that thread is almost 2 years old now… it didn’t feel that long ago…

2 Likes

Well I mean if we’re just waiting on a suggestion for a better upper limit then I’ll have a think and suggest something unless @Harleqin beats me to it.
My starting point would be allowing 65m+5s to be played without crashing into the limit. So maybe assuming that each move is played in 2s you might get about 15m extra after 300 moves. So a limit of 2hrs would be enough (and allowing 65m initially, I can’t remember just now if the starting limit is also 1hr). I’ll have a think about other combinations that meet Class A standards.

If anoek doesn’t think that ogs should be able to host EGF class A timed games properly then there’s not much discussion to be had though.

1 Like

I think he very specifically is in favour of at least meeting this standard… but was after some extra discussion to see what other perameters should be considered… from what I can gather anyway.

I’d like it to be at least 4 hours to allow for very long games, but if there’re no overflow errors, I’d set an option for 12h or more cap to be effectively infinite in live games.

Re-reading the github issue, I don’t see anything new to say. It seems that someone just needs to get around to add the few points to the option.

1 Like

Can I dream of a full possible options system from 1s to infinite and then for some understandable reasons, a automatic filter which would stamp the game as blitz live or correspondence and as being rated or not?
I mean from what else as the rating system do we have to restrain the possibilities?

1 Like

Yes, I’d love just a text box where we can fill in arbitrary times.

1 Like

Well I put it like question because maybe I miss some technical issues.
We can keep the preset system aside, to not get people lost in these infinite possibilities.

I know anoek has stated literal infinity is not an option, but I don’t think anyone asking for “infinite” max time in live games is really asking for that: just set some high max time which will never be reached and that will be just as good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.