Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

I feel like this one isn’t so far out of the realm of possibility… don’t mods already have the ability to do this?

nah, they can only remove chats but not edit them

but i wonder if it would make sense to give users the option to remove their own chats when needed?

3 Likes

some time later:

6 Likes

Oh that’s a good point, would be very strange if mods could just edit messages haha

1 Like

Poor mods would be asked to fix too many typos. :smile:

6 Likes

Being able to delete your own messages would be fantastic to start with!

4 Likes

I maliciously abuse this power so often to fix my own typos :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: delete and repost FTW :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This-message-will-self-dest

That feature would be very convenient. Send an insulting message and erase the proof as soon as it is read.

4 Likes

How about a zen mode website-wide?

Already implemented. Just switch off your device to enjoy the all-encompassing zen mode.

9 Likes

As many remorseful tiktokers* have discovered, screen shots exist. :sweat_smile:

* I may have meant instagram :thinking:

1 Like

Optional robot accessory that plays your opponent’s moves on a physical board, and relays the moves you make on the physical board.

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of stuff like this, particularly if there’s not a strict timer on it (like a few minutes tops).

Conversation is inherently a multiperson enterprise, so being able to delete “your” half of the discourse feels unjust to the other person. It’s one of the things I don’t like about Discord. It can also create situations where someone agrees with a post, but then the post is edited and the person would no longer agree with it, but they may not notice. So editing posts gives someone the ability to change the apparent meaning of what someone else said.

2 Likes

Doesn’t this already exist? With those AI boards?

or animation of hand that plays stone on virtual OGS board
human hands for human opponent and robot hand for bot accounts

2 Likes

My current workaround is to hang a human hand from the ceiling and gently swing it when it is my opponents turn. Not perfect, but 9 times out of 10, it looks like a move was physically played!

3 Likes

Board game arena does these flying in effects, so a stone comes from some source point and flies into the spot it was placed.

Would be maybe an easier alternative than a hand.

Also different hand animations for different ranks. For example some weird 3 finger technique for tpks.

4 Likes

Dood(ette), I literally have modelled prototypes*… The concept to link real world boards via [some mechanism] is marketable, feasible and interesting. Would have been great during Covid lockdowns.
Then I realize that my enthusiasm for this is a fact independent of potential market size. Which is small. Currently.

2 Likes

I would pay literal real world cash* for someone to write an interface between OGS server and one of these table thingies.

You cannot tell me you wouldn’t want your correspondence games playing out on one of those. Wouldn’t be so great for blitz but.

1 Like