Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

Inb4 2k and 2d arguing over best sequence to recommend during a 20k review

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like the ā€œquick&reviewā€ tournaments ogs once had, maybe its good time to bring that format back to life ;))

3 Likes

What was that ? Sounds interesting.

Xhu and mlopez used to run short 3-round tournaments on ā€˜Go Basicsā€™ group and then review some of the games together with all the players. I thought it was great fun and those also helped me to getting to sdk so quickly ^^

5 Likes

Probably a feature that only a handful would use.

Any possibility of accepting bitcoin to support the site?

Send some BTC/sats via lightning to a LNURL address instantly, with an additional message of the OGS account name. A bit like a PayPal address.

All thatā€™s required is an app on a mobile such as wallet of satoshi.

Might raise enough to buy an amazon gift voucher for a new hard drive.

Just an ideaā€¦

2 Likes

Related to discussion in Rengo status - #1235 by qnpnpmqppnp

I wish the live and blitz distinction would just get erased altogether!

1 Like

Itā€™s an important distinction for moderators, because people who have agreed to blitz have implicitly agreed that timeout at any point is OK.

In ā€œliveā€, timeout can be a sign of abandonment/escape, which is frowned on.

Yeah I mean I think thereā€™s other (better?) signals moderators could look at for escapees (e.g. time since last move). But i see your point, and thereā€™s a reason I posted it in this thread and not somewhere else!

2 Likes

I think you can legitimately lose by timeout in the last byo yomi of a live game.
Similarly you can leave a blitz game for minutes to time out.

I like a lot benjitoā€™s idea to better highlight / draw attention to the time taken for the last move rather than depending on the very grey timing category the game is designated under.

Right now itā€™s really easy to see the game category but we have to dig a little bit to see last move time. It would be neat if last move time was as easy to see at a glance as game category is.

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about ā€œhow does game category quantitatively affect a decisionā€.

I definitely arrive at an escape and go ā€œAh, blitz, probably not worth worrying about, I will let the reporter know that timeout is expected in blitzā€.

This possibly lets some escapes go, but itā€™s not actually that simple - the AI graph is sitting there, as is the board, and if itā€™s an obvious ā€œI lost I escapeā€, and a longish blitz then I will pursue it.

So there isnā€™t a ā€œsingle number ruleā€, itā€™s more of an ā€œapproach is determined by the game typeā€ for meā€¦

ā€¦ maybe this is one of those many cases we could do with stanardising :smiley:

And we could do with having the ā€œFinal Moveā€ timing more readily available to moderators, for sure.

3 Likes

We should be careful. This talk seems plausibleā€¦ it might be OT for the thread :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ooops! I blame @benjito :smiley:

3 Likes

I want a feature where I can charge up a move so that it is played more forcefully, i.e. plays a louder sound and maybe an animation.

16 Likes

Iā€™d never understand the mentality of playing one opening move over another because itā€™s a few points better according to AI.

1 Like

Unconditional moves, no matter where my opponent plays, play here next, I really want this.

2 Likes

Like the ćƒ’ć‚«ćƒ«ć®ē¢ GBA game?

This will never be made probably because only a fraction of OGS players play rengo, but nowadays Iā€™m kinda missing a feature that would show by vanilla and rengo games separately on my home page.

7 Likes

Note this is a front end thing (open source), and doesnā€™t seem too hairy. If you find an interested web dev with some free time, this could probably happen :slightly_smiling_face:

FWIW I think itā€™s a solid idea (but I am lacking on the free time :smiling_face_with_tear:)

6 Likes

I suppose Allow undo request on your move now sadly belongs here.

Nah, itā€™s no secret :smiley: :smiley:

7 Likes