Features everyone secretly wants on OGS but will never be implemented

Isn’t it the whole thing in backgammon?

2 Likes

IDK, I’ve never played backgammon for rating or money.

1 Like

Well that could go to the thread “is there a polite way to ask for a resign”. Double mechanism on the rating points.

4 Likes

Option to replace standard score estimator with strong kata bot one.
But you will be allowed to use it only once in a game and no graphical representation.

This meme shows why its not a big cheat:

But at least it will make some sense unlike current score estimate.

If you still think its too much, what about

when you click it

4 Likes

Prompted by the recent bump, custom text macros like the Hi, Have Fun, good game etc.

3 Likes

already here

8 Likes

I guess we’re stuck with 5. It would be cool to have a macro though like

“Hi , have a nice game.”

And it fills opponent in with your opponent username :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe we have that too for all I know :stuck_out_tongue:

Not exactly what you’re asking, but you can edit the existing quick-text. Macros would be cool though! Wouldn’t be too hard I think, something like “hey %p, waddup!”

5 Likes

I doubt normal people would know to do that, %p.

4 Likes

Oh. Are we talking about discoverability? Or complexity of using text placeholders?

For discoverability, I don’t think features always need to be visible if they don’t affect the core experience. (Totally just my opinion)

For placeholders, I don’t think it’s too difficult. I’m biased bc I use this stuff in programming, but I feel like I’ve seen this kind of placeholder in “normal people” contexts. I think I learned how to use this back in the days of AIM, when I absolutely was not extremely technical.

6 Likes

This, but for go?

2 Likes

About these formatted sentences, we could have a few slots to put our own.
Then a prefix key with enter to save directly in a slot when we write something and we want to keep it for reuse.
O finally I reach to make a serious suggestion in this thread…

1 Like

problem solved.

But, seriously, people create new accounts in order to play vs DDK - because DDK are afraid to accept challenges of too high ranked players. Sometimes they accidentally play ranked game and create new account to have [?] after name again.

There should be option to create unranked challenge where others see your rank as [?] , so new account not needed

then more DDK will accept your game and less people will decide to become evil sandbagger.

not everyone have [?] account to play weaker opponents, they just use it for full “no rank” settings collection
there are also just new users, if there will be more [?] challenges, then new users will not look so alien

6 Likes

@ronin3: I would [like to] have the option to Offer draw to my opponent. This would be a really nice way to e.g. end correspondence games where both you and your opponent have lost interest in the game, for whatever reason, and would seek an amiable resolution.

The result would be a little bit like Canceling a game, the result does not count, nobody wins, no rank adjustments afterhand.

From ronin’s thread Why no Jigo button? (Offer Draw)

1 Like

Sometimes I create a 10x10 game in order to create a text in my list of games
text is about games after that

So, It would be useful if I could create text between games without creating a game

12 Likes

Did someone already mention audio/video chat available straight from games page?
You play with someone, you are able to talk with them and to see them (if they like to).

I’d like also a trigger for letting players include or exclude kibitzers in their audio/video chat.

Today we do that using two distinct platforms (see my thread “Gather town + OGS”)

5 Likes

A scribble board so that we can draw together random lines while playing (like jamboard / sketch.io / aggie.io / etc) (for premium users: three whiteboards; a private one for each player, and a shared one where both can draw)

3 Likes

I guess for now the draw tool in analysis is part way there, although your opponent might not be able to see it. Not sure if drawings are visible when sharing a variation?

Yeah… There’s not a chance in hell we’re moderating voice or video chat :upside_down_face: F NO

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it be not so difficult to allow a player to play twice and then get the pop up “Do you really want to resign?”

2 Likes