Fractional Team Go, Game 1

Me too!

3 Likes

Same

3 Likes

Filling the J3 liberty would force the issue on the lower side, but I think it results in a ko that team white takes first, and I donā€™t see a good ko threat for team black. So Iā€™ll continue capturing @Vsotvepā€™s throw-in stones with C9 :stuck_out_tongue:

fractional_game1_51

3 Likes

@yebellz, what do you think?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay!

How about capturing two black-team stones with a play at D2? I think that would leave a white/red stone at D2, if Iā€™ve understood the capturing rule correctly.

1 Like

I believe that is correct.

1 Like

It does leave the stone? I thought it would also be removed, because itā€™s a white stone without libertiesā€¦

2 Likes

Yes but similar to the ā€œnormalā€ rules, chains of other colors are removed first, potentially opening up new liberties for the recently placed stone. I formulated a detailed description in the other thread:

2 Likes

Basically, itā€™s like old chains vs new chains, as was defined for the Diplomatic Go games.

Ok, Iā€™ll go with D2

3 Likes

Am I seeing this correctly? If (Black | Blue) recaptures with E2, then (White | Blue) should not play F2, because the next move (White | Red) D2 would remove both E2 and F2.

So perhaps I should have taken the J3 liberty with my previous move. This is confusing ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

D2 would be empty and (White | Blue) playing at F2 would be a single stone suicide.

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind, I misunderstood and misread, as usual for this game.

3 Likes

The furious game! Go check your temperatureā€¦

After the first two moves,

1. (Black | Blue) recaptures with E2,
  2. (White | Blue) plays at F2,

it would be this:

It would then be (Black | Red)'s turn, where a hypothetical play at D2 would remove the two stones at E2 and F2, but would let (White | Red) make a second eye by playing at E2.

If (Black | Red) were to hypothetically pass, then (White | Red) could not play at D2, because it would be banned by positional superko, right?

However, if (Black | Red) were to play elsewhere, then (White | Red) could choose to play at D2, cycling the position locally.

Is that right?

3 Likes

Yes I believe your analysis is correct. After your variation in the diagram, locally (Black | Red) would want to fill a liberty with J3, and (White | Red) can capture two stones with D2, but this way the F2 move did not make progress for team White. So (White | Red) needs to play the approach move F2 in order to capture the Black stones. That is unless I made a mistake, which has a high probability this game :laughing:

2 Likes

It would be rude of me not to play E2 after all this analysisā€¦
E2 it is.

2 Likes

Donā€™t ever feel obligated to play a move just because of my wanna-be analysis!

2 Likes

Haha, to be honest, I would have played there anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

E2 is my final answer, just in case that wasnā€™t clear.

3 Likes

Right, here is the updated position:

fractional_game1_52

Next to move is @Vsotvep

2 Likes

I honestly see no way to prevent capture of either of our groupsā€¦ I think Iā€™ll play C8, no idea what else would make sense here

2 Likes