Fun Tsumego with a twist ;)

Here is a fun little puzzle! Some may know it, but i still wanted to share it :smile:. As a small hint i ll say, that there is a trick (EDIT: all perfectly normal go though) to it.

Try your best: https://online-go.com/review/293301

2 Likes

I donā€™t get it: if black moves first, whiteā€™s dead. If white moves first heā€™s alive.
Obviously I miss something.

<<BTW, I donā€™t speak english so well, could you explain to me why you say ā€œherā€ for white?>>

For a normal tsumego you would be right of course, but the task here is a little different. You dont have to simply play a move for black or white, instead you have to find out what move white played last, then you take that move back (like an ā€œundoā€) and play another move so white can live.
Is that clearer?

P.S.: I called white ā€œherā€ because i chose to :slight_smile:. thats all.

1 Like

Eazy :smiley: I donā€™t want to spoil to much, but I guess it is fair to say that this is not the first time B helped W in this corner.

1 Like

On the topic of ā€œherā€, it is actually somewhat customary to refer to white as ā€œherā€ in Go commentary where the actual gender is not known.

Itā€™s not a linguistic thing: thereā€™s nothing in English that tells you white should be ā€œherā€. This custom is specific to Go, as far as I know.

2 Likes

ohhhh, toook me like 10 minutes to get what you want me to do :smiley: but you were right, it is a fun puzzle :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jokes_Aside
I guess you are right about that xD

@Adam3141
Sorryā€¦ i guess i explained badly. On the other hand you got to do 2 ā€œreadingā€ problems at the price of 1 :rofl:.

I donā€™t think you explained it badlyā€¦ I hated this problem the first time I saw it for this very reasonā€¦ the only element of difficulty it possesses is imperfect information in a scenario when you would always know what the last move was and not need to figure it out.

I get what you mean. its a trick problem, so naturally i wont tell the trick before people have tried to solve it :slight_smile:. However i dont agree that the information is imperfect. The problem can be solved with the information at hand and it has only a single solution.

I guess what irks me is that itā€™s more of a pure logic puzzle than really a go puzzle :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nah, I donā€™t think you did. I think what confused me was the fact that online we automaticall get the tree and I was unsure what the situation is since black is marked as the last move, but the description seems to say white played last and thus I was unsure what I am supposed to take back. I think on a real board it would be much clearer:

You came in the room, this is the board position. You donā€™t know how it came to be. White played last. He could have lived with the last move, but he screwed it up. Figure out what happenedā€¦

And the other thing is that you all kept calling it a ā€œtrickā€. I wouldnā€™t call that a trick. Yeah, there is a certain thought process behind it, but there is no ā€œtrickā€ it is all perfectly normal go. I just kept thinking there is some joke or a catch or somethingā€¦ For a minute there I was convinced that if I alternate the right sequence some sort of obscene picture will form on the board or something like that and thatā€™s the trick :smiley: Yeah, I am retarded.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks. My poor english strikes again. :slight_smile:
I didnā€™t understand ā€œtakes back her last moveā€. Itā€™s so clear, now!

I still canā€™t solve the puzzle, though. :thinking:

1 Like

Just to be sure I understand it: The position that we see is before White takes back one move?

yeah

I had the same confusion, Adam. But now I feel good, because it took me only 5 minutes to figure it out.

2 Likes

So in other word, the task is to move a white stone to make a living shape?

@elx
Unfortunately that wording doesnt work :slightly_smiling_face:. I d feel like a liar and we dont want that.
Noā€¦ you actually have to undo a move and replay it.

I added a branch with the solution.

3 Likes

Awww, how did I miss that :slight_smile: I tried literally everything else. Thanks for putting me out of my misery. Fun problem too.

1 Like

There is another solution. The last move of white was pass. Then black allows white undo it and white plays a stone to create living shape.

1 Like