G0tstats is back! (with more stats)

Could the link go in the “other go resources” page ogs?

4 Likes

on it

4 Likes

I know we’ve discussed quite a few options for “strongest win”, but my main qualm with GotStats (which is otherwise amazing! <3) is that, at the moment, it uses your opponent’s current rating rather than your opponent’s rating at the time of the game played. I’m a 13k, and my “strongest win” atm is against a 2k… except that at the time we played the game, we were both 24k. This feels entirely pointless to me.

(I also have a vague feeling that GotStats used to use “opponent’s rating at time of game played” for this stat at some point in the past…?)

1 Like

Coincidentally that’s the part I’m trying to change as well. In the earlier update I changed it to be affected by both historical rank and current rank. Let’s see if it’s a bit more interesting now.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never put it that way. Let me try to explain this a bit.

Despite being an “analytic” tool, the main point of GotStats has always been providing “interesting” information, not just pure data. When having to choose between “player who used to be much stronger but could potentially be weaker now” and “Player who is now much stronger but could potentially be weaker in the past”, I think the later is more interesting.

For example, in the past I once won a game of Hearthstone against this certain player named SKTT1Faker:

Everyone who play League of Legends know Faker, so when I switch to his live stream and find out it really was him, I was thrilled and went boasting everywhere.

Not only did senpai notice me, I also beat the shit out of senpai as well! (Imagine beating Lee Sedol at chinese chess)

For example with your case, by seeing that you have once beaten someone who’s so strong could either be

• interesting (“I played against celebrity”), or
  • could be a good motivation (“Someone who I defeated has gotten so strong already”).

On the other side, if you check your “strongest defeated” and see that you have beaten a 10k account when you were 13k, most of the time it’s probably not that interesting:

• On most accounts I checked, the player was a reverse-sandbagger.
  • A large portion of the rest is “very low rank” games, for example 25k winning against 17k. Because low ddk ranking fluctuate a lot (and also due to mistakes)
  • And lastly we have inactive accounts who no longer played, and stay at low rank forever.

That’s why I decided to go with “current rank” and not “historical rank”

The latest update is using a sum of difference between rank, let’s see how it fare. I checked with your account and it show a game against 5k, so maybe it’s more reliable?

2 Likes

Could someone tell me what the “moves” array in game detail signify? https://online-go.com/api/v1/games/3540564

I can’t quite get their meaning. Time of moves?

My guess would be coordinate & time taken?

Can’t confirm the time taken part, but I checked the coordinates, they don’t seem to match.

I only looked at the first four, so what doesn’t match?
The coordinates range from 0 to 18, not from 1 to 19

[Edit: Tested it, and it works. Pass is written as coordinate -1,-1]

Coordinates and time taken to move.

Ooooh they go from top left, I understand now o_0

Unless you’re Hebrew or Arab or Persian, isn’t that the most natural place to start?

… or you happen to be comparing with OGS’ game board, which go from bottom left :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, wow, that’s weird!

I have it in the 1-1 setting, which starts at top left, but the A1 setting does indeed start at the bottom… Why…?

Differing multi-cultural conventions

1 Like

@Chinitsu link is now on Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS under “Sites”

5 Likes

tyvm @BHydden!

2 Likes

Would it be possible to split the “Scored a triumphant victory against…” and “Biggest win…” into two, and make it show separately ranked and unranked wins?

Reason why am i asking, is that for both of those i have the same 36-handi game against 7d from the days i was 20k. Needless to say, that game was unranked and just for fun, and not that interesting for statistical purposes.

@Chinitsu I would like to request a tiny and simple modification to GOtstats if I may…

I was recently using GOtstats to examine a players ranked correspondence losses:

piecolors

On all the other pie charts the colours either make sense (green for a win, red for losses) or are inherently arbitrary (9x9-blue, 13x13-green, 19x19-red) which is fine.

For the chart shown I feel that timeout should definitely be red as this is the least desirable result for a game. Less importantly, since most players prefer opponents who are willing to resign when appropriate, green for resign and therefor blue for scoring. eg:

piecolors2

4 Likes

comes with the added bonus of only needing to swap 2 values instead of all 3 :slight_smile: #lazycoding

4 Likes

Good idea! I updated that way :smile:

4 Likes