Go Apps For Mobile Or PC/Mac

For Android devices, I like GOdroid for playing against AI. It uses GNU Go, which means it plays at about 15k-8k depending on what skill level you choose.

The user interface is nice; it lets you select 9x9, 13x13, or 19x19 with a nice zoom feature (tap and hold to zoom in/out). It also lets you save SGF files, and has some other nice options. Swipe left and right at the top of the screen to undo/redo moves.

If you dont mind paid apps (and kinda pricey too), Crazy Stone Deep Learning is a really strong AI bot using neural network (5d I think), that allow a lot of features :

• 20 levels of play from 15k to 5d
    There are 20 levels of play (15k-5d) for all the board sizes.
    Crazy Stone has improved not only in strength, but also in his style of play
    and the lower levels are perfect for average players.

• Analysis Mode
    You can analyze your current game and also game records saved in sgf files.
    Use the analysis mode to review games and help improve your strength.
    Move list, Histogram, Record analysis, Situation graph can be confirmed
    with the analysis by Crazy Stone.

• Rating Mode
    We have provided a Rating Mode for 19x19 and 9x9 board sizes.
    You can confirm the results of games played and the history of your rating.

• Export and import sgf game files
    You will be able to import and load game records in sgf format.
    Please use Crazy Stone Deep Learning to review and analyze Go games.
    If you save games in DL format, the results of the record analysis will also be saved in the file.

• Other features

・Friendly 3 input methods
You can choose from 3 options of input methods (Zoom, Cursor & Touch).

・20 levels of play for each board size (9x9, 13x13, 19x19)

・Human vs Computer, Human vs Human (sharing a single device)

・Computer vs Computer Games

・Handicap games, variable options of Komi

・Hint (suggest)

・Instant Undo (available even when the computer is thinking)

・Automatic territory calculation

・Japanese/Chinese Rules

・Suspend/Re-start games

・Save/Load game record in sgf files

・Automatic and manual replay of a game record

・Highlight the last move

・COM resign feature

・Byoyomi games
(You will not be able to select computer level in timed games)

・Atari warning

・Highlight the last move

・Landscape mode

3 Likes

I remembered this old thread and thought it might be usefull to update and revise, given some new programs and usefull apps coming to my attention :slight_smile: (now all in the first post)

If you do not think so just say nothing and we will let the thread die out forever :smiley:

All I want is an OGS app for iOS…

1 Like

Unfortunatelly, right now that would only be possible by some fan made third party app. I know there is a quite functionalandroid app for OGS made by one of our players, but do not know anything about iOS. :frowning:

As far as we are concerned (or more precisesly our devs - I just nod in agreement :smiley: ) we are focused solely on improving the online browser experience at the moment.

3 Likes

It’s worth noting… As it stands there are no mobile apps that offer better functionality than playing in your mobile browser.

5 Likes

Thanks for the overview, AdamR. Is https://online-go.com/docs/other-go-resources going to be updated as well?

3 Likes

Probably not :joy:

yeah okay, I will try to suggest some updates there as well, keep up the nasty questions, it’s good for us :smiley:

3 Likes

The menu on the right, on the page for a single game, renders terribly on Chrome for iPad. I often pause the game by accident when trying to set conditional moves or use the score estimator.

Is there a way to tell your browser to load the mobile version of the page rather than the desktop version? The mobile version moves that menu underneath chat which is a bit further out of the way but might resolve your issue temporarily. Also, please stop using the score estimator. It promotes laziness.

Firefox addon “user agent switcher”. BUT it’s best to know what you’re doing when you’re doing that so read up on how to reverse it. It’s been years since I used it so idk how it performs or even looks nowadays. Having performed a quick search, there are three extensions with that name… good luck!

Android
GOSU Joseki
GOSU Games
Elygo Pro
Hactar Go
CrazyStone DeepLearning Pro
GoGrinder

Windows PC
-Moyo Go Studio by Frank de Groot
SmartGo
GoGrinder

2 Likes

Are there any android apps that I can use to analyse games using leelazero? Gridmaster plays against LZ + elf weights but no analysis. Is it possible to analyse games on android using LZ?

“A Master of Go—An iPad Go app with neural network of ELF OpenGo”

https://new3rs.github.io/a_master_of_go/index.html

Developer Yuji Ichikawa introduces it in a post on L19, you can discuss with them there … very interesting thread with comments of users who immediately purchased the app, screenshots, bug reports, etc., the developer seems to be responsive:

https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=238921#p238921

(my olden iPad 2 sadly is too old and too weak for this :sob: )

SmartGo

… for Windows
https://www.smartgo.com/windows.html

… for macOS
https://www.smartgo.com/mac.html

Includes the famous GoGoD collection of games.
License valid for both Windows and macOS.

Go Quest is an app for playing against people online with iOS

1 Like

You can learn Igo and brush up on your Japanese at the same time with iOS Igo Island, which is about as kawaii as you’d expect for a children’s learning application. Free, search for developer “The Nihon Ki-in” if you don’t have Japanese fonts installed.

Also for Android, and it also has a browser version albeit with limited functionality.

I wrote a free open-source SGF editor

BesoGo
https://yewang.github.io/besogo/
Platform: most web browsers

It can also be used offline, by downloading the source and just opening an HTML file locally in a web browser.

Previously announced it here on the forum:

2 Likes

So by source code you mean on the github page all of the files and folders starting at the top (css) down to the bottom (testing.html)? :thinking:

Sorry for the dumb question. :roll_eyes:

EDIT: Duhh – I just noticed the DL or Clone button on the right side! :laughing:

1 Like