Go is better than chess because

Maybe it would it you would have seen " Anderssen - Kiseritzky" as the first game shown to you
Or Morphy s games , or Fischers “game of the century” or or or

Comparing chess and go - and stating that one is better than the other - is just as useful as trying to learn a goldfish ride a bicycle.

Go is better as chess because my dad was not a chess player.

2 Likes

Mentioning that comparing is useless is useless. Arguing is a lovely activity between humans.

1 Like

You do realise, I hope that

is also …(ad infinitum).

That’s only because you’ve been watching the wrong movies ; )

4 Likes

Go is better than chess because playing it makes me feel more stupid.

EDIT in response to a previous comment:
Chess is better than go because draws are valid outcomes in tournament play.

1 Like

That’s the case for regular go (19x19), but for 9x9 I don’t agree. It’s not uncommon for human players to play a 9x9 game where each move is optimal. It’s a bit annoying if you play perfectly but still lose. Even if we don’t talk about optimal play, 0.5 point is a noticeable advantage for dan level players who have studied 9x9 seriously.

2 Likes

Go is better because with a Go set you can play some completely different games such as gomoku. With a set of chess you can only play chess and some chess variants. 9x9 Go on a chess board? Possible but it’s unlikely to finish due to not enough pieces.

it’s even worse on 13x13 japanese rules…

I primarily meant that a LOT of chess games end in a draw. High class, low class; the “drawing death” of the game has been discussed since Capablanca (1920s)

and with chess you can play sth like “bughouse” (I guess its called in english) “tandem” in German. Very funny, very entertaining and quite social…

and a science on it s own.

not possible with go.but again: both beautiful, elegant and addictive

2 Likes

Gibtc because not every f*ckn’ life situation gets compared to it

(thanks to dustybaduk who posted the article on Godave’s discord ^^)

3 Likes

Haha! Do you mean gibtc because the analogies with real life are so much more abundant and accurate?! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

It occurred to me recently that with chess, you get a feeling of accomplishment just from learning the rules, since they are just hard enough to make that a challenge. I think that might add a lot to its general popularity.

With Go, there seems to be almost nothing to learn, so there’s not much to be proud of in at least knowing the rules. And then you try to learn scoring, and you realize it’s impossible to understand Go after all.

10 Likes

There is that feeling that you are so disconnected from some very simple reality. Why i am so lost when he uses so simple words to tell me what i have to do with this capturing rule?

7 Likes

*inner monologue: “I have distinct memories of having learnt to count above two. Why can’t I do it in go? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:… Don’t make yourself stupider than you are. I can do it. I can count above two!!” ->proceeds to play damezumari with determination

2 Likes

“I got it, the tenon goes under the Ikea table just like the Golden Chicken Standing on One Leg-tesuji.” now do the same, chess analogies. See? Gibtc. :upside_down_face:

That sounds anti-intuitive to me, cuz in my understanding, the larger the board, the less significant a half point advantage is. Care to elaborate?

I just meant the AI evaluation at the game start… I 'm a grade 2 payer and on 9x9 it varies from 0.5 to 0.6 (ask me why ?!) and on 13x13 its … oops 0.5 … you are right … had remembered it wrong it seems …

Sorry!

Edit: Stones I mean… and yes I remembered it right. Earlier katago versions gave Black a 0.8 Stones advantage with 5.5 komi

grafik

Edit2 … a 9x9 game from that time (Feb 2020)

grafik

I don’t think bot evaluation at the beginning really means much to human players. 0.3 point on 13x13 is just too small for us to care about when we constantly blunder 5 points away. As a comparison, I myself have played a few 9x9 games where every move is optimal (confirmed by katago).

Also, 13x13 is so big that nobody even knows if bots can find optimal play on it, which means OGS bot evaluation isn’t fully convincing. On the other hand, despite being very far from solving 9x9 completely, we are pretty certain a bunch of 9x9 lines found by bots are optimal for both.

Ok, we are very off-topic. If anyone is unhappy with it I can move to another place.

1 Like