Go Memes Pedantry

This meme got quite a quantity of likes so that makes me think that it is very context dependant.

In the USA,
church is a sacred place and religion a very important matter.
firearms is a hot matter too.

But everyone does not have the same background.

4 Likes

If we wanted to cover it up we would have simply deleted your objection. Moving a discussion to a discussion thread to avoid cluttering the thread that is primarily for the sharing of light-hearted memes (which this was in my opinion) is a perfectly reasonable approach. There is no need to get hyper-literal about exactly what pedantry means when you know full well it’s a call-back to the general forums subculture we have here of deep but light-hearted discussions.

Certainly, you will likely object that your claims are anything but light-hearted. I agree. However I personally feel you read way too much into the meme, as was highlighted several times above, primarily due to there being no innocent church goers in the meme and also no actual shooting.

If your objection is purely to the existence of guns within a church, Texas may have a few words for you.

3 Likes

By the way it seems no one seriously answered to that

This is not to trivialise anything - this thread has existed long before your objection to this meme and I assume will exist long after you’re done. It was born from a debate about pedantry which was frankly hilarious but didn’t create new memes, and most if not all debates or long-winded discussions borne by the memes thread ended up here thence.

4 Likes

Wow!
Would a moderator really do this?

1 Like

Sorry Conrad. I understand you feel offended. None of us know the source of those feelings. So sorry if this area is a particularly sensitive subject for you :pensive:

Now, to the point of the thread: pedantry! “Bad taste” is:

but it seems like the “generally accepted social standard” is that this meme was OK and not offensive in terms being sacreligious or trivialising mass shootings as suggested. It had nothing to do with church shootings in the mass shooting / terrorism context. It was just some film / TV action scene with the usual cops and robbers pointing guns at each other that just so happened to be in a church. I thought that the metaphor of AI cheat thinking they’re top of the food chain while actually the mods are there to snipe you out was pretty witty actually. And this is a meme that’s doing the rounds beyond OGS (different captions of course) so is also generally accepted in that sense.

Philosophical question time… (honestly, this is not a dig at you Conrad. I’m just trying to move the conversation on :slightly_smiling_face:) In general, if one person is offended by a meme, should it be removed? :thinking: If not, how many people need to be offended before a meme is removed? If so, how do we make the distinction between a meme that has genuine potential to offend (albeit a small proportion of the population) vs memes getting removed for silly reasons? What even constitutes a “silly reason”?

HOWEVER… There is a more important point here that has not been mentioned yet. Regardless of whether this meme is bad taste or not, this website is supposed to be family friendly. Are images like that acceptable to a family audience? I suspect not. So, even though we, as adults, can find the meme funny or offensive or whatever, is it appropriate to have it in the first place when it may be viewed by children that use OGS? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Who else?

1 Like

I agree with the importance of family friendliness. To me it is not clear whether that meme is acceptable or not, I’m leaning towards the former.

But we can compare with movies targeted at children/families. I remembered there were some guns in a Tarzan movie, so I did a quick YouTube search. Here is what I found:

(It shows the bad guy firing shots at Tarzan and his gorilla dad).

Now while some countries consider the movie to be acceptable for children of age six and above, other countries think it’s acceptable for everybody, according to Tarzan (1999) - Parents Guide - IMDb .

2 Likes

We’re not in the habit of censoring discussion… But posts have been deleted in the past for a variety of reasons.

Precisely.

Others may spin their wheels, but my part in this discussion ended with mark5000’s generous deletion of the meme, for which I am grateful. (I wasn’t aware of his post when I posted my response to Vsotvep, which I composed piecemeal over a long period of time.)

However, your philosophical question deserves an answer. A single flag often gets a post removed. Such issues are not typically decided by a vote of the community, but by discussion among the available mods, who use their reason and experience to decide the issue. I don’t think the process can be quantified, nor that it would be desirable to do so. “Family friendly” is certainly a quality that would be balanced against other considerations in such a discussion. The finest compliment to OGS that I ever received as a mod was from someone who was immensely grateful for the “family friendly” quality of the site (his very words). I mentioned this once before in a thread, and then about a year later another new player paid us the same compliment. This was a very gratifying experience because I spent significant time screening every new registration during my entire tenure, preventing the infusion of a multitude of offensive names.

8 Likes

Interesting. I got a Friend request from Dylan Roof (or was it DylanRoof, now I don’t remember), an account that no longer exists. Presumably a troll already banned and anonymized by the mods. It’s rather unusual for a troll to take an interest in something like Go Memes Pedantry, which suggests an alt account of someone undiscovered. What a sicko! (For those who don’t know, Roof was the shooter in the Charleston case.)

FWIW I agree that this thread was not the right place for this discussion.

I think it was a matter of unfortunate convenience that it was plonked here instead of creating another thread.

In some ways, discussion would have been better served by taking the objection seriously and starting a thread with a title indicating that we are debating a controversial topic, rather than hiding this topic inside a thread where usually dry pedantics are discussed.

Fortunately, I suspect the point is moot because most people interested in the discussion generated by the meme were likely already involved and therefore came here anyhow.

1 Like

I generally don’t mind a post removed if it creates strong negative feelings even to one person; I liked that meme but we can exist without it. Mark respecting Conrad’s feelings seems right to me.

What I object to is the absolute certainty expressed that OGS does this and that if it allows it and I must understand this and that by the depiction.
Those are opinions, not facts.

Also, family-friendly and childproof are two different things.

3 Likes

It’s not too late to do this. Although this discussion appears to be drawing to a close, it would allow people who have missed the discussion to get involved. It could also be used to broaden the topic into a discussion about complaints of bad taste, family unfriendlyness, etc., where to draw the line of what is and is not acceptable, and a place for people to raise objections more generally.

2 Likes

I agree. I suspect there’s not a lot of appetite for that though, nor ultimate benefit. The range of reactions and opinions (diverse, strong, conflicting) are predictable, as is the ultimate outcome: you can’t get agreement on topics like this, and the moderators handle it well on a case by case basis (as illustrated by this one).

For sure some folk would enjoy the discussion, and it may be of some dubious educational value to flush out the opinions - for example I never knew before now that Conrad cares passionately about the normalisation of gun violence - but I say dubious because it comes at the cost of certain offence being taken during the debate

2 Likes

Is that Japanese rules or Chinese rules?

4 Likes

?

:rofl:

3 Likes

I used to agree with you on this, but now I think it’s more likely that the aliens will play Hex.

3 Likes

…is that because hexagons are the bestagons? :smiley:

3 Likes

@Conrad_Melville, btw, last meme in Memes Thread now is much more controversial than the one that Mark posted

Update: it got removed already, possibly by author

2 Likes

What do you mean? These chickens? :wink:

6 Likes