Go Memes Pedantry

I don’t think controversiality needs to be compared on some scale. It’s fine to discuss things in a vacuum and decide individually whether they’re fit for this site or not. There is no need to hypothesise about whether x is better or worse than y.

1 Like

I take offence at the chicken meme! :wink: It exploits chickens, promotes domestic violence and makes me want a KFC :stuck_out_tongue: I demand that @yebellz makes a public apology for posting a meme so funny I nearly fell off my chair :rofl: (but plz don’t take the meme down cos dat some damn funny shhhtuff dude :laughing:)

3 Likes

Actually, I’d love to know where the original for that chicken meme is (we have chickens, my wife would love that!)

1 Like

I found the video clip on Reddit

Maybe there is a source mentioned in the comments somewhere, but I don’t know where it originally came from.

2 Likes

Henry Kissinger

https://www.henryakissinger.com/articles/americas-assignment-what-will-we-face-in-the-next-four-years/

I didn’t realize what the little arrow did when I responded. If you read the quote in context (see link to the Newsweek article), you’ll find the quoted words were introduced by:

“An interesting recent article compared the difference in the diplomatic style of China and the United States to their intellectual games–the West’s chess and Chinese neiji [sic], better known by the Japanese name of go.”

So it wasn’t Kissinger’s own observation; he was just repeating what he had read elsewhere (with no attribution, as far as I can see).

2 Likes

Have you heard about this topic? :wink:

1 Like

No, but it looks amusing. Did I sound pedantic? I remembered reading about that article elsewhere and the broad context of the quote. Attributing directly to Kissinger gives the impression he knew something about go, but in context, that’s by no means certain. It’s interesting, btw, to read what he was saying when he raised the point. I located it in the article easily enough with a local search for ‘game’.

3 Likes

I don’t know what “interesting recent article” is referred to, but the absence of quotation marks in the second sentence of this paragraph suggests that these are Kissinger’s own words, which may have been a paraphrasing of what another author wrote.

may have been an incorrect conclusion.

Yes, I don’t think he was necessarily reproducing what he read in the “recent article” word for word, but the idea wasn’t his and he didn’t necessarily have to have known anything about go before he read it to understand it and use his own words to promulgate the observation.

The idea is that the memes topic is just memes for laughs, and discussion of accuracy of statements implied by memes (e.g. whether Kissinger said that it not) and similar is usually done in the pedantry topic (or starts in the memes topic and gets moved later) :slightly_smiling_face: This is to avoid having interesting (and potentially long) but not necessarily funny discussion breaking up the memes :sunglasses: So, I hope you won’t mind when I say: @moderators please move :grin:

1 Like

There’s a new rail in there lately anyway, so…

Ah, ok. Thanks for getting it moved. Do the moved posts get linked from the meme?

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

This (see above comment by tea-powered robot, which I ineptly failed to make this comment a reply to) was almost certainly NOT said by Edward Lasker, pioneer of go in the US and founder of the NY Go Club. It MAY have been said by his cousin, the long-reigning World Chess Champion, Emanuel Lasker, although I have, in the past, spent a long time trying to find where it was said, without success.

3 Likes

This might be for a go memes pedantry pedantry thread but @StevenageTony I see your reply as a reply to my reply so you’ve expertly failed to fail as far as I can tell…

4 Likes

That specific quote does seems to be widely attributed to Edward Lasker, but its provenance has been contentious

3 Likes

Yay!

I have a feeling that in the US it gets attributed to Edward, in Europe to Emanuel. The author of a History of Go in Europe, which was originally posted on the now-archived website of the Leipzig Go Club, wrote (under the year 1931):

" Emanuel Lasker publishes Brettspiele der Völker (Boardgames of the peoples) with 30 pages about Go, there he clearly recognizes: Go has a more strict logic than chess, is more simple and does not require less phantasy.
In another publication he says: “When there are other intelligent beings in the universe, than they maybe know chess, but surely Go.

(This is a translation from the original German, I believe, and “phantasy” should probably be “imagination”. Also “when” is a mistranslation of the German “wenn”, meaning “if” and, of course, “than” should be “then”.)

Unfortunately he doesn’t say what other publication

4 Likes