Go Memes Pedantry

Really? So, do people really say “dot PDF” or “dot GIF” or “dot MP3”??

3 Likes

You set the standard for pedantry here, so when you raised the issue about ,sgf, I naturally assumed that this was standard pedant practice.

6 Likes

Oh come on… you’ve got to be trolling with that comma placement…

4 Likes

Everyone knows I’m a terrible typist, which is exacerbated by my bad eyesight. I would fail the qualification test to be a moderator sniper. (Ironically my father qualified as a marksman in the army, although that was not his job.)

3 Likes

:large_blue_circle:sgf

I voted for “a dot-S-G-F file” just to be someone. A "Pale Blue Dot"sgf to remember Carl Sagan.

2 Likes

It depends on the context.

If I’m talking generally, I’ll say something like

Do you want that in pdf (pee dee eff) or docx (doc ex)?

However if I’m reading out a file name and the file format was important for some reason I would say

funny [under score] meme [dot] gee ai eff

Or

funny [under score] meme [dot] gif (like gift without the ‘t’)

WTF is jiff? :smirk:

1 Like

Hahaha… as if mere mortals could ever hope to learn such secrets and master that dark art

1 Like

Dan magic* :wink:

1 Like

“Who’s Jeff?”

4 Likes

Actually I think having all the tigers mouths together like that basically means none of the peeps are sente anymore…

6 Likes

I mean I have to

Because there seems to be a Go World Champsionships

4 Likes

I wonder why they photoshopped some chess pieces next to the board?

3 Likes

It was a WIP photo, they do the side pieces first before shopping in the board state.

2 Likes

Are those super-large stones specially made for the contest?

1 Like

They’re clearly playing Capture Go. They make bigger sets for kids

3 Likes

It’s for better camera viewability of the 9x9 board.

3 Likes

Not even within the same human. In most people, the two hands are controlled by different hemispheres in the brain, which can communicate with each other only indirectly. In split-brain patients, where internal communication between the brain hemispheres is completely inhibited, each hand literally can’t know what the other hand is doing without external help.

2 Likes

Camera viewability is unlikely the reason; there appears to be a VGA port in the goban. Fancy schmancy :smile:

4 Likes

Depending on how one answers the question, one’s interpretation of the heso (pyramid thing on the bottom of the board) could vary from being viewed as like a belly button or something else.

1 Like