Go Memes Pedantry

I suppose it’s a well of a time anyway

3 Likes

Depends on if it happens before you start up your well, or because you crashed your well.

4 Likes

Are you playing one of those medieval raid games again?.. tsk tsk tsk

1 Like

Should i be worried…

1 Like

pedant

6 Likes

No, see, Go Stone is written 碁石, and is a lot older than 1871
Screenshot_2021-02-10 b9c1cad101d6eb5abeb5ac3119d10d5ffc0e1374 jpeg (Image JPEG, 300 × 444 pixels)

6 Likes
8 Likes

17 Likes

slightly (?) off-topic but meanwhile I’m for calling us “Ogres” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What about “pOGS”?

… Why is everyone booing me?

1 Like

4 Likes

OT: can someone explain to me the hoity toity thing? I see it everywhere and refuse to google it.
(I guess James Charles isn’t really the creator of the phrase.)

1 Like

I don’t hear it used that often, but I interpret it as a silly, sarcastic way to say something like “pretentious”.

7 Likes

hoity-toity has the meaning, in words of Wiktionary: “pompous, self-important and snobbish.”.

It’s a low-register adjective and apparently derives from an old verb hoit, which had a sense “to behave thoughtlessly”.

this post brought to you by the hoity-toity “hardcore” language scholars and yebellz the dog :books::dog2:

At some point, it might have been confused with the similar-sounding hoi polloi, a borrowing from Greek with the meaning “the common people; the masses”. This is also an informal term and might be considered humorous or even insulting depending on the context, like who the speaker is.

The result of this possible confusion is that hoi polloi developed a secondary, completely opposite sense of “the elite” which is considered incorrect.

6 Likes

the what now?!
that’s a thing? hahaahahahaha
oh please make my day, tell me how people pronounce it :-PPPPPP

1 Like

If you’d asked me what hoi polloi meant, I’d have had the incorrect meaning :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And indeed possibily partly due to the associated with hoity toity

hoi … like boy
po … just p like the p in pea
lloi … like lawyers without ers

7 Likes

/ˌhɔɪ pəˈlɔɪ/

hoy poloy

5 Likes

How do the Greeks pronounce it?

4 Likes

i poli (stress at the last syllable, at i)

4 Likes

hoity toity is like high fallutin

4 Likes