Go Memes Pedantry

Surely it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, eh… eh… eh…!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Serious question, though.

How do you quote a post from a different thread? I tried once and the quote was automatically deleted by the system.

Defeat KataGo by playing mirror go with no komi.
Go Memes! 🧐 - #4790 by Leira

I’m not sure I won (mirroring with black, having tengen), is this a draw? Did KataGo break the rules?

Edit: I was using a KaTrain version from July 2021, but apparently KataGo’s anti-mirror-strategies were improved in October 2021. Antimirror work, gtp debug command · lightvector/KataGo@28c46ed · GitHub

1 Like

Is that a quadruple ko?
Are you still alive??? :smile:
If triple ko is cursed, I can’t imagine what quadruple ko could be.

1 Like

I select your text, I click the “quote” pop-up button. Then in the reply form that appears, I select the text, and copypaste it to a reply in another thread.

The only situation where I’ve had quotes auto-edited out is if I quote the whole last post of a thread.

To be fair, unless the mirror is broken, you can only have an even number of ko’s. So, if you’re playing against a mirror, creating two ko’s is enough to prevent loss under Japanese rules.

Under Chinese rules KataGo would win against a mirror, since the mirror player would be the one having to return to a previous board state, prevented by superko.

Or KataGo just uses your centre stone against you, as just happened when I tried to play with Chinese rules:

4 Likes

My game was from 2020 with one of the local OGS bots (unranked of course, don’t send the cops in), so it might not work now the way it used to.

The administrator of the bot put it very eloquently:

Not only does that give KataGo a bit of a personality, but it gives me a pleasant chuckle that it can now find a loophole without compromising its own pedantry.

Oh! It has learned the Touya Akira strategy minus the brooding self-hatred. Nice!

4 Likes

No! Botting, sandbagging, score cheating, stalling, escaping, and trash talking are a disgrace. An honest loss is an honorable outcome—without it, there would be no game.

7 Likes

Maybe you don’t recognise the refererence…

Me neither. What is it?

1 Like

If you can see it.

2 Likes

I’ve moved this and subsequent exchange into this thread but it broke the “reply” link so I added the link to the post.

1 Like

Recognizing the reference does not alter my objection to the sentiment.

1 Like

I don’t think you do.
The sentiment is that it’s a ridiculous thing to say.

1 Like

What you have created is not really a go meme; it is a Liz Truss meme. This is because the comment is about Truss not about go, which is used only as an incidental example to satirize her.

You make the mistake of so many modern would-be satirists of trying to be too clever by half. The reference is obscure to most, and the satire fails to identify itself as such. There is never any doubt in, for example, Monty Python, but there was doubt in, to take another example, Arthur Machen’s Mr. Stiggins: His Views and Principles, an exercise in sarcasm in which everything said is the opposite of what the author believes (the book failed in part because too many people took it seriously).

Moreover, there are probably Truss fans who would disagree, and there are certainly many people in go and in other games and sports who agree with the sentiment that loss is a disgrace. Good satire requires a ground of normalness or consensus in order to work, as G. K. Chesterton observed almost 100 years ago.

1 Like

Thank you for your critique.

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

I don’t agree. Im far to be a world news addicted but i did hear about the very short time she stayed as english prime minister. So the reference is clear to me. When you lose to a much weaker opponent you can feel a disgrace like her simply because it’s not supposed to happen and beyond because you have in most case quite a big responsability in this defeat.

Anyway disgrace is not just about cheating and such.

I had heard of her too, but that doesn’t mean someone knows what she looks like. Moreover, as I said, it is a Truss meme, not a go meme.

I gave examples of the most obvious dishonorable actions, but “honest loss” also encompasses the idea that one tried hard, on the one hand, and that one was not overconfident and played carelessly on the other. In other words, it would indeed be disgraceful to fail to make an honest effort, or to play carelessly because one does not respect the opponent.

There are really two issues here, which you don’t seem to realize. First is the effectiveness of the meme’s satire. Broadly, I gave two reasons why it was ineffective: that it is not clearly recognizable as satire, and that some people would agree with the sentiment being satirized:

Therefore, your post actually supports my position about the ineffectiveness of the satire, by demonstrating that some people do think such a loss is a disgrace.

The second issue is whether such an honest loss, as I have defined it, is a disgrace. There we do profoundly disagree, and I don’t think I can say anything more than I have already said about it.

It was probably recognizable as a satire for readers from UK, and cryptic for most people outside UK.

2 Likes