Go Memes! šŸ§

when most of your game is pain

Thereā€™s like one frame of the word ā€œpainā€ at the end of this clip, but itā€™s too painful to get with a web converter / gif maker , I should probably just learn to download the frames I want myself.

3 Likes

KataGo planning how to auto-score this game

12 Likes

I donā€™t tend to treat ā€œinternal libertiesā€ as a separate concept, I just give examples of L&D situations that make use of them to explain the ā€œno self-captureā€ rule as well as the ā€œwhen itā€™s your turn, your capture takes priority over being capturedā€

1 Like

Nor do I. Same as you, I simply start by introducing the idea of life and death: How do I not get captured? How about a hole inside like a doughnut or bagel and why that doesnā€™t work. But what if you have two? Their response was, " How is this a liberty if I canā€™t play there?" Kind of left me speechless.

A liberty of a stone is an unoccupied intersection adjacent to that stone or to any stone connected to that stone.

Of course. I am not confused. They simply did not want to accept that explanation. Never had that kind of reaction before.

so my way of handling the ā€œno self-captureā€ rule, is to say that ā€œthe active playerā€™s captures take priority over being captured, therefore it is not self-capture and thus a legal moveā€

1 Like

Same.

Ko is often my first example of that, that way it makes a nice segue into the ko rule, of which I only explain in terms of superko until they get better

Itā€™s not an explanation, itā€™s a rule. Surely that would have convinced them?

In this case, no. Shrugs. It was like they had a philosophical problem with the gameā€¦

I donā€™t like the term ā€œlibertyā€ at all. Itā€™s just a confusing term.
I prefer to talk about ā€œbreathing spacesā€ when introducing people to the game. Only later I may tell them that these spaces are actually called ā€œlibertiesā€ (for some reason that I donā€™t know of) in the standard terminology of go.

2 Likes

Huh, okay. Well itā€™s not like I have never criticized the rules of a game. :sweat_smile:

some people really get stuck on ā€œno self-captureā€ sometimes, honestly itā€™s kind of an unnecessary rule to teach to beginners, since most of its real effect is to limit certain ko threats

AHEM!

Donā€™t make me tap the sign :neutral_face:

18 Likes

This. One really needs to chose words very carefully and with precision when teaching go. This person really took issue with ā€˜libertyā€™. How is it a liberty if I am not free to use it kind of attitudeā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s a Go Meme, but:

My reaction to the fact that the WAGC was uploaded with class D (0.25* rank change, +9 instead of +36)

immagine

My graph confirms it:

8 Likes

This has to be the cutest pun Iā€™ve ever heard of. Letā€™s adopt this convention immediately :dog:.

77od40

12 Likes

17 Likes

12 Likes