Go problems/puzzles for white

Are there ANY puzzles/problems that feature white to play and capture??? I don’t like playing Black and let’s face it, white has a severe disadvantage of not moving first, and in my opinion even with komi unless one is a skilled player winning with white is impossible, so i want to review if any such tactics exist ti improve my game

There are problems when you can play as white, OGS has the reverse color feature for example. That’s irrelevant though since in problems you always get to play first meaning color doesn’t matter when doing problems.

You can be playing as white/black either way you will be playing the first move of the problem, reason being the problems only work if it’s your move if it was the opponents move they could kill your group/ live with their group.

In short color does not matter when doing problems.

I also disagree with you saying black has a severe advantage even with whites komi, the fact that games are nearly 50/50 for wins as both white/black is proof of that.

7 Likes

Also, you’ve asked this exact same question before: Go problems for white

5 Likes

If all the advice given before is not enough, you can always imagine you’re solving ancient Chinese problems from the times when it was White who moved first in the game. :slight_smile:

Recently I find it near impossible to win with any colour… are there any good problems for kibitzers?

2 Likes

[quote=“kissmecomix, post:1, topic:6057”]
I don’t like playing Black[/quote]Okay, that’s a personal preference. Nevertheless it’s quite possible that you’ll leave this behind once you’ve gotten just a few stones stronger.

My personal preference is simply … winning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: no matter with which colour—I don’t like losing (again: no matter with which colour). Nevertheless I still keep playing even though I lose around half of my games, if not more. But well, when I lose too often, I get more Handicap stones which again helps me win a few more games :joy:

[quote]and let’s face it, white has a severe disadvantage of not moving first, and in my opinion even with komi unless one is a skilled player winning with white is impossible […] [/quote]Uhm, WHAT? “let’s face it” doesn’t make your allegation a fact, and “in my opinion” makes it clear that this is a very subjective statement.

The chance of winning/losing against a similarly strong player in an even game is somewhere between 49% and 51%, I think.

Also, and a much more convincing argument (IMHO) is this: Tsumego have nothing to do with colour. Most Tsumego even show some situation that could turn up in the middle game, not in the Fuseki, therefore it is totally irrelevant whether it is White to play or Black.

What use would it be to program oneself to only be able solve a problem when one plays a certain colour?
Tsumego is about pattern recognition—and I think it is important to recognise these patterns independent of the colour of the player whose turn it is. But : yes, when I do Tsumego I often omit checking which colour is to play and therefore I make mistakes—which (again IMHO) is exactly the right exercise for me, namely to READ, in this case not only the board and its possible variations, but also to read the task assignment … in essence: to pay attention!

For example, when I explain ladders to Real Life beginners (often after Atari Go games), I create the beginning of a ladder (the ladder prototype, so to speak), and I turn the board 90 degrees and again 90 degrees, etc., “look at it from this side” … “and now from this side” … “see, it’s always something like these three stones attacking that one stone”:

and I re-create this constellation with reversed colours, etc.:

And say, do I really understand you correctly in the first place?

1. You say you don’t like playing Black?
  2. AND at the same time you allege that winning with white is impossible unless White is “a skilled player”?

I think I do NOT understand … you may want to try out Jade Yunzi stones with their green luster :smiley:

6 Likes

I think this is my favorite reply :joy: but let’s play devil’s advocate here,

When would the player’s color being White, matter?

1: Fuseki ( as mentioned)

2: Some puzzle series on handicap games

3: Recorded games

4: One Colour Go

5: Endgame counting

Okay, this was harder than I thought, nevermind…

1 Like

I think Flower Baduk Stones are called for:

5 Likes

Trode,

from the games I researched on (WBADUK) most of the games won by those who played white are usually in the Dan range, and from the collection of games played most win playing Black. I’ll grant you that one should try to win regardless of color, and like you I HATE LOSING!! in go, yugi-oh (yes I still play). I purposely choose white, on the basis that in a match, I’ll probably end up being white, and if I know how to play a strong game as white then I can win, also this also means that one should know tendencies of one playing Black, that means knowing joseki, patterns, etc. but what if one in an unorthodox player? or doesn’t read too much into patterns. I would love to play you one day . I just think the puzzles should reflect not only black to play first, also, from what I’ve seen in matches, i haven’t seen where white gets those puzzle patterns, and if they do, it is about survival, not capture. maybe I’m looking too hard into this. No I don’t like playing Black especially when my opponent is stronger than me. Also, I see where Black has to work harder to win because Black is already down points because of the komi. It is a catch 22

Those are pretty, too pretty to play with, though they would look good with my board

I use an app called Tsumego Pro which allows you to choose which color to play first (Black, White or Random).

I never thought about which color goes first, since it is all about the shape and number of liberties. The stones could be purple and green and the thought process should be the same. Are you thinking about other types of problems where the total board and komi come into play?

2 Likes

Well, I’m very far from being a dan player, but I’ve just checked my DGS history (going from me joining as 18k to my current 8k) and actually I was winning slightly more as White. Sure, the opening strategy (or what passes for it on my level) differs somewhat for White and Black; and when I’m giving Black a huge handicap I employ equally huge amounts of madness instead of strategy… but other than that I do not think I play any differently depending on my color. Anyway, most tsumegos are about local tactics, which are not affected by the color in the slightest. White bulky five are killed just the same way as Black bulky five.

4 Likes

The trick is to allow the opponent to think he know’s what your doing because you went first then turn it around so that you know what he is doing,you will find color doesn’t matter.It’s obvious that if you move first and your trying to get to a certain position he can see what your doing and block you.You have to turn that around on him so you’ll see what he is doing,letting him think that he knows what your doing when he doesn’t-Phcull

1 Like