Go server rank survey

SO nice that we get something to laugh in these difficult times :rofl:

Hopefully we would get more than 250 surveys filled this time. And who is going to setup the google survey form?

I would do it, but I am not very knowledgeable on this subject. Why don’t you do it, @tls, seeing as you were the one first say that we should do another. If you don’t want to, we can ask for another volunteer to do it. I’m sure that we will find someone to do it with.

I build a new google form and this time with drop-down menu instead of manually typing in your rank (except GoQuest), and added more online go servers.

Summary

If anyone want to help modify or manage the survey, please message me, I can add you as editor/manager for the form

Not sure if the 2018 survey program can still analyze the new survey results. Need some help when the survey is concluded.

6 Likes

I shared it on r/baduk… I’ll let someone else do the FB rounds lol

2 Likes

How long will this be open?

1 Like

when we have enough samples I think. Last time, it was like several weeks.

Maybe we could keep this up longer this time and see if we can get like ~1000 samples this time?

2 Likes

I’ll fill it later when I play some on Foxy.

1 Like

Shared it in this FB group:

1 Like

For the first day we have over 50 entries, going at a good pace, hopefully they can keep coming.

I also found that no one had submitted if they have Korea or China offline ranking, and only 2 from Japan. Perhaps we should find someone to translate the survey paragraph to Korean, Japanese, and Chinese. Set up a wider net.

update: I’ve added a Chinese translation, now we only need Korean and Japanese version, or other language versions if necessary. Anyone knows other languages please help translate it. I can add machine translate versions if need be, but auto translate to Japanese and Korean are usually pretty bad.

2 Likes

Hi, it says we can edit our results but that doesn’t work, also probably for the same reason we cannot view results again without resubmitting. Which I didn’t do, I am just curious about how results are growing

1 Like

Heh, I had shared the direct link to your survey comment to the Fecebook group … now I got this:

:grin:

6 Likes

you have to edit your result through the links in the thank you page, when you finish the survey and view the overall results there. You can only find and edit your survey result links in that page.

If you cannot remember or find that page in your browser history, you can tell me or message me and I can correct them for you, just inform me what was your previous submission and roughly when did you submit it.

1 Like

Thank you, I found it in the history :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW, currently we have 70+ entries. And still no Korea or China ranking entries. I think we have not reach the social media platform in China and Korea communities. Even the Japan ranking only has 3 entries. It would take some time, or really find someone to translate the page for them perhaps.

update, we have more than 100 entries now. Let’s start with how to apply the 2018 analysis program with our new survey data format.

Summary

It needs jupyter notebook to run right? Is anyone familiar with the technical aspect that can help? The code needs to be modified a bit for the new datasheet I believe. And the GoQuest answer of rank and Elo needs to be separated. And some outliers might need to be manually picked out.

A sample of the first 100+ entries at 2020-03-24

3 Likes

I have to ask, what has actually changed since 2018 that would lead us to get different results?

Because otherwise there seems to be little point in this survey…

(I did fill it in though)

1 Like

In '18, it had been ages since the last survey and OGS had changed over to Glicko. So we expected some shift.

1 Like

I think ranks vs strength are drifting up and down quite a bit (can be 1 rank/year, at least for KGS)…

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of players from foxwq complaining the dan rank getting much tougher recently since more and more bots of various levels occupying the 9d even push each other down to 8d, resulted in pushing the old human 9d down to 8d or 7d, and the snowball effect pushing every human all the way to low dan.

But some other platforms don’t have this effect where not many bots existed on them or already have fairly stabled bot ranking management. Some with more than 9d ranking platform like IGS have the opposite effect due to fewer bots, and plenty of old 9d gets promoted to 10d (1p+) slowly where high rank players rarely got knocked down.

And with easier and easier access to AI evaluation tools, and more and more free teaching materials and apps help them practice constantly, ddk who are willing to learn ranked up faster and faster to sdk, and increase the total sdk players in almost all the servers, and the ddk players tend to be really bad and fewer in numbers.

Offline ranks should still remain pretty consistent in their ranks within their communities in my opinion, But perhaps when online servers start to get closer and closer in rank difference between each other, online rank might be more reliable in reflecting players’ actual strength in the future (or even now). This is a good reason why I want to find more players with offline ranks and compare them to their online ranking this time.

5 Likes